Bush goes to Baghdad

posted at 10:01 am on June 13, 2006 by Bryan

It was such a dramatic move, the AP’s Terence Hunt had to say so—twice:

President Bush, seeking to bolster support for Iraq’s burgeoning goverment and U.S. war policy at home, made a surprise visit to Iraq on Tuesday to meet newly named Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and discuss the next steps in the troubled 3-year-old war.

It was a dramatic move by Bush, traveling to violence-rattled Baghdad less than a week after the death of terror chief Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in a bombing attack. The president was expected to be in Baghdad a little more than five hours.

Later on in the article:

It was a dramatic move by Bush, traveling in secret to violence-ridden Baghdad six days after the death of Zarqawi. The administration hoped the elimination of Zarqawi and the completion of al-Maliki’s cabinet would make war-weary Americans look at Iraq in a more positive light.

It’s a good thing the AP has all those layers of editors to miss things like using the exact same sentence twice in a story.

As for Bush going to Baghdad, what can I say? Can’t say I’m shocked, but I think it’s cool when he makes “dramatic moves” like this.

Update: Slublog dumpster dives at the DU, finds them hoping the President meets an IED while he’s in Iraq. Not kidding. Take a look before the DUmmies in chief decide to kill the thread.

Update (Allahpundit): Here’s a screencap. Click for larger size.

du.png

Comments

What nads!

bbz123 on June 13, 2006 at 10:03 AM

Somebody ask Jason Leopold if Bush is skipping the country to evade the “Sealed vs. Sealed” indictment.

inmanjh on June 13, 2006 at 10:07 AM

I am still not over the Karl Rove thing and then I hear about how George left WH reporters behind and shows up in BAGHDAD to show support for their new pres…..TALK about being giddy…he just pulled the libs panties up over their head and tied them in a knot. My dear departed mother in law loved W. Said he has heart and soul and lots of guts. Not real smoothe and shiny, like the former slickter, but he gets the job done without fanfar….and keeps us safe. Now I am hearing this was a surprise to the Iraq president….Geroge Bush will go in the history books as great!!! Right up there with Reagan, Lincoln and Washington….Too bad I can’t share my giddines with the leftoid. Morons!!!!

Sandys Beach on June 13, 2006 at 10:09 AM

No war in Baghdad?…you gotta be kidding.

It is sunny, balmy, nice day in Baghdad. And Bush came on Air Force One. You can’t get better dramatic effect than this.

When it rains on the liberals, it pours.

What is Murtha going to say about this?…

Is it time to seriously consider moving to Canada or New Zealand again, heh, fellow liberal friends?

easy87us on June 13, 2006 at 10:40 AM

I can see it now, Bush pins a medal on the chest of the F-16 Pilots, then they sit around a campfire, light cigars, and Bush says, “now tell me allll about it…”

Richard Davis on June 13, 2006 at 11:11 AM

Once again PRESIDENT Bush (not “Bush”, as in the AP story) has pulled off a visit to Iraq right under the very noses of the ever alert,always watching MSM!
You have to love the man for that, if nothing else!!!!

Abigail Adams on June 13, 2006 at 11:14 AM

I think the Secret Service needs to talk to that moonbat, somebody should send that DU link to them.

paratrooper on June 13, 2006 at 11:18 AM

Quick lock the door! Dick, get in the chair!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on June 13, 2006 at 11:18 AM

Think I’ll be forwarding some of that Bush bashing hate crap to the Secret Service. Maybe one or two of them can spend the night in the slammer. PinkyisBlue- Pricksyisblue! Gonna be bluer tomorrow.
I am proud of my Pres today.
By the way, how is the Big G getting out of there? Under cover of night? Maybe they’ll drop a Harrier in for a quick exit?

shooter on June 13, 2006 at 11:18 AM

Richard Davis- I wouldn’t be surprised if he did just that.
One of the reasons I like the President is he just a regular guy- one of us.

Abigail Adams on June 13, 2006 at 11:19 AM

John Kerry just joked about Bush’s visit:

“Iraq isn’t like Vietnam, Bush is in Iraq.”

*crickets*

I think Iraq IS like vietnam, Clinton wouldn’t go to either.

ba dum dum!

PS Kerry told this joke yesterday. “There’s a new Ann Coulter ice-cream, half vanilla, half nuts!”

Is Bruce Vilanch on the Kerry team?

coondawg on June 13, 2006 at 11:22 AM

It’s okay to say you hope the president winds up on the losing end of an ied? But not okay for Ann to say she’s never seen anyone enjoying their husband’s deaths so much? Hmmm….

wytammic on June 13, 2006 at 11:29 AM

Hey paratrooper on June 13, 2006 at 11:18 AM.
We both had just about the same post at the same time…kinda like the article, but Terrence Hunt wrote his all by himself.
Seems as if Cut & Paste still works well if you need 40-50 more wordsfor the boss.
Redundancy at it’s finest!

shooter on June 13, 2006 at 11:31 AM

Kerry, again?? Thought Terezzaaaa had him soaking in raisins..with gin….something like that. Anyway, Mr. Kerry was a coward in VietNam, and a coward as a Senator and is proving, yet again, he has no balls when it comes to our security. EVERYONE…listen up…try, real hard, to imagine a President Kerry right now. I know..get over the scare and imagine the state of things…Our President Geroge Bush, under cover of darkness, leaves the stinking press corps behind(snickering here) and flies into the most dangerous part of the world. Making sure everyone else has a bullet proof vest on..THEN he gets onboard DISGUISED!!. You can’t write this stuff…the only thing missing is Jack Bauer and I think he was on board, ALSO….

Sandys Beach on June 13, 2006 at 11:32 AM

Abigail – he is isn’t he….

Can you IMAGINE if Kerry was President…..

oh-my-g.o.d. the meticulous painful elitist show he’d be putting on….

(he’d prick himself pinning on a medal and demand another purple heart… )

Richard Davis on June 13, 2006 at 11:54 AM

“..one of the guys..”..that just says it all. This MAN is not enamoured of himself…his OFFICE, maybe, but not himself. I bless his parents, everyday, for bringing us such a true leader and HERO…thank you President and Mrs Bush…you did good. Now, I just want to revel in the greatness that is George W. and ponder on what a great nation we live in.

Sandys Beach on June 13, 2006 at 12:03 PM

Well done Mr. Bush
I like the pump fake he did on the press, the press going to Camp David to meet the Pres and then being informed once they got there, that Bush was in Iraq

Defector01 on June 13, 2006 at 12:05 PM

Give the Pres his due. He has been on track in Iraq, although I think the time has come to lower our profile in the cities and concentrate on the Syrian and Iranian borders. Strictly a matter of cost/benefit. That said, he has my aproval.

But then there’s immigration …

Why can’t life be simple? :-)

dman on June 13, 2006 at 12:54 PM

The presidential podium is still the tallest one – just a reminder to the ‘little’ press.

From that same podium Bill Clinton gave us Monicagate, so close to 9/11 and what led to it. No perspective in the media on this.

President Bush looked tired yesterday during the little press-spiel from Camp David. All in attendance looked sober, for these sobering times.

Then he garners the energy to fly to Baghdad overnight. He has such backbone. Yes, he is a flawd mortal. He is also the leader needed for these difficult and teacherous times! He is putting things in perspective again. Let’s hope the House/Senate find their lost spines too.

Entelechy on June 13, 2006 at 12:55 PM

So sorry – meant to write “treacherous times”. The guilty should know who they are.

Entelechy on June 13, 2006 at 1:00 PM

And I meant aPProval. An edit button would be so nice!

dman on June 13, 2006 at 1:01 PM

He is speaking with our troops…my heart is in my throat. What I logged on to say was had anyone heard John FAIRY tell us that he is sorry he voted the way he did. Stinking loser traitor. Now I will watch and revel in the fact that we have a man in charge…how blessed are we as a nation???
John K can go back to TERREZZZZA and those gin soaked raisins.

Sandys Beach on June 13, 2006 at 1:22 PM

Bush lied, the MSM cried! :-)

dman on June 13, 2006 at 2:07 PM

This is such very good news! I am so proud of President Bush! It’s not often that he gets to bask in an approving light. Not that I think he cares. He knows what he has to do, and does it. But still this will be a major coup for President Bush and his supporters. Very good news. Very brave, too!

Muslihoon on June 13, 2006 at 4:42 PM

I do get a kick from watching President Bush stick it to the press, but I’m still burning over his position on immigration.

ecamorg on June 13, 2006 at 10:24 PM

You know what would make my week? For President Bush come back, invite Ann Coulter to dinner at the White House; he and Laura and Ann would have a nice meal and talk about anything that came to mind. Televised, like Dinner for Five on IFC.
That would make my week.

Doug on June 14, 2006 at 12:32 AM

Reminds me of President Bush’s surprise visit to Iraq to spend Thanksgiving with the troops. *That* was truly Presidential.

hadsil on June 14, 2006 at 2:12 AM