Warlord

posted at 3:26 pm on June 12, 2006 by Bryan

Short review: Ilario Pantano’s Warlord is both the best and worst book yet written about the Iraq campaign. Worst, because Pantano’s story so typifies our time and how we railroad warriors out of our military to satisfy the appetites of political correctness. Best, because while profane it is beautifully written and elegant in its storytelling. It’s a Marine’s book about a Marine’s kind of war, yet it’s also a biography and a courtroom drama and in its own way a hymn to our country. Pantano is as true a patriot as this land has ever produced. Warlord, with its battles in Al Anbar and military courtrooms and its sweep from the streets of Hell’s Kitchen to Marine sniper school, is the definitive book about America’s longstanding conflict with Saddam’s Iraq and the forces of jihad.

Read it. And understand that Pantano’s story represents the real tragedy of our time: We put legalese above sacrifice and honor, and we try to hang the warriors who defend us when they need our support the most.

Comments

$16.38 on Amazon.com

Average Customer Review: based on 2 reviews. 4 1/2 Stars
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #30 in Books
Yesterday: #4,816 in Books
Prediction: Tomorrow #1 in Books
Father’s Day is this Sunday!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on June 12, 2006 at 3:40 PM

I just ordered mine.

He could use our support and HE DESERVES IT.

Richard Davis on June 12, 2006 at 3:44 PM

I am going right over to Amaizon order mine.

birdman on June 12, 2006 at 3:55 PM

This is shamelessly lifted from Powerline but here is a trailer for a new movie starring real Marines and their rather blunt assesment of the current crop of anti war folks, including their own generation.
Warning:NSFW (Not Safe For Work because of language.

LakeRuins on June 12, 2006 at 4:01 PM

Am I missing it? Is there a link on this site to the book on Amazon so you guys can make a few cents off the sale too?

Leiren on June 12, 2006 at 4:03 PM

Bryan:

Excellent post and I look forward to reading this book. However, I have one question for you.

Does the “we” in this sentence refer to solely the MSM and the American public as a whole, or does it also include the military higher ups and military lawyers?

I appreciate that many times the MSM tends to cover the GWOT and our soldiers in an unfair way. However, does not our military chain of command bear some responsibility for this LT Pantano injustice as well? After all, wasn’t it the military which decided to charge LT Pantano with these crimes?

Since he has been cleared of wrongdoing, doesn’t it appear that his chain of command was also guilty of engaging in some sort of rush to judgment and second-guessing that the MSM is also so well known for?

I understand that this can be a chicken or egg sort of question, i.e., does the military justice system rush to condemn its own because it has been so unfairly labeled by the MSM as being warmongers so many times in the past…

I guess in the end what I am saying is that it seems particularly unfair that it was the military justice system that appears to have initiated this.

It makes you want to be able to meet the people who decided to initiate this article 32 and the subsequent courts martial and ask them “what were you thinking?”

Very respectfully,

EFG on June 12, 2006 at 4:09 PM

Leiren: I like making money. I like speending it too. Sadly, I am not making any money off the sale of Lt. Pantano’s book.

birdman on June 12, 2006 at 4:09 PM

LakeRuins…

THANKS FOR THE LINK!!!

I’m USN Ret… and I remember not only how I felt coming back from Beruit in 83 (Marg 2-83 USS Iwo Jima) but how I felt after Storm…

Ruit I came back to no parade, no speeches, no support….

And Storm I came back to a bunch of Rah Rah fair weather patriots….

Not sure which was actually worse.

Romeo13 on June 12, 2006 at 4:39 PM

It is unfortunate that our military is sometimes forced to go through the motions with a full trial in order to avoid the obvious MSM and liberal accusations of a massive cover-up. This story would not have gone away simply because the military may have made a decision to bypass a trial. The positive aspect, and one that should not be ignored is that those “higher-ups” were able to successfully uncover the truth through the in-depth investigations. While it might take time, which we witnessed in the Pat Tillman death … they tend to eventually come out with the truth, which is ultimately what’s important. I believe we are beginning to see the same result with Haditha now.

Eventually, these investigations seem to always result in liberal embarrassment.

SirGregor on June 12, 2006 at 4:48 PM

Leiren – first of all, take a breath…

Stop giggling and then order the book…

Any money made by Michelle from people linking to Amazon from this site is – THE BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT….

It’s okay Leir… fight your addiction, FIGHT IT!! We can help you.

Call Liberals Anonymous.
1-800-4LOSERS

Richard Davis on June 12, 2006 at 5:17 PM

Leiren,

Sorry, pal – you’re out of your mind. Courtesy of the Washington Times, a book excerpt:

“I found it weird how Europeans always sought to criticize us. I had [British Broadcasting Corp. reporter] Paul and his cameraman out on a patrol with us and he was constantly fishing for comments from me. Finally he made a claim that was bound to [tick us] off: ‘You Marines are good, but a British patrol would have done things much differently.’
“Really?” I said. “Paul, how long have the Brits been fighting in Northern Ireland?”
“Thirty years,” he said.
“I pounced. ‘Seems like a long time. How do you define success?’ ”

If this doesn’t get you ordering or running out to the bookstore, check your pulse. (And yes – you bet I ordered!)

SpartRan on June 12, 2006 at 5:40 PM

didn’t Denzell play this guy

tomas on June 12, 2006 at 8:11 PM

I’m not sure why I got such a backlash for asking if there was link from this site where I could purchase the book. I asked so that I COULD give to HotAir. And, incidentally, I’m a WOMAN, not a “PAL,” I don’t need to “stop giggling” as I don’t “giggle” as I ask for information, and I’m not “liberal” who needs to call “1-800-LOSER” (I went door-to-door for Bush last election). Finally, like “Birdman” I also enjoy money, which is why I’ve been self-employed for over 18 years.
What gives? Readers here are clearly reactionary. I asked a simple question, and I’ll ask it again… apparently I need to phrase it better: Am I missing it?? I’m looking for a link from HOTAIR so I can buy Warlord for my father for Father’s Day. Is there a link from this site to Amazon, or do I have to go to Amazon independent of this site? Is that better? Or are your sensitive feathers still all ruffled, boys?

Leiren on June 13, 2006 at 10:07 AM

What state is he from? Is there a Jackass senator running for re-election in that state? This gutsy guy should run against him (or her). If not the Senate, perhaps he would like to run for the House.

chsw

chsw on June 13, 2006 at 10:12 AM

Yes, Leiren, there is a link. Try going here:
Then try clicking here: “Buy Lt. Pantano’s book”

SpartRan on June 13, 2006 at 10:32 AM

Incidentally, Warlord is now #13 at Amazon!

SpartRan on June 13, 2006 at 10:33 AM

Got it! Thanks, SpartRan.

Leiren on June 13, 2006 at 11:05 AM

“Or are your sensitive feathers still all ruffled, boys?”

How dare you be so insensitive as assume that we are boys?!?!?! I’ll have you know that I strongly suspect that behind some of these anonymous and androngenous names may be some women. Also, Leiren, “boys” is not the prefered nomenclature. Conservative-American men, please.

H/T to Walter Solchek in “The Big Lebowski”

EFG on June 13, 2006 at 12:29 PM

My dear EFG,
I would have used the word “men” had I seen evidence of behavior that required that label. You’ll note comments from “birdman” and “Richard Davis” that were defensive in nature from a very innocently posed question regarding the link to purchase Warlord from the HotAir site. The kind and helpful “SpartRan” is the person who finally gave me the answer to the question, and for that, I’ve thanked him/her. I was shocked, or in the words of Ash from Truthout, “stunned” at the reaction to my question. However, it’s all cleared up now… and I hope you and the rest of the boys… er.. Conservative-American men… have a good day. (I hope you know this is all in jest. I’m not sure it comes across in black and white copy.)

Leiren on June 13, 2006 at 1:29 PM

No problem Leiren. My above post was a bit of a jest as well. ;-)

EFG on June 13, 2006 at 1:45 PM

SpartRan is most assuredly male (not that that matters), thank you very much.

SpartRan on June 14, 2006 at 2:48 AM