Infiltrating Yearly Kos: Harry Reid’s red meat

posted at 12:42 pm on June 11, 2006 by Allahpundit

The Senate minority leader comes not to bury Kos but to pander to him. Plus: Mark Warner forgets who he’s talking to and Arianna supports the troops as only she can. All this and more as the mole does it up quick-take-style.

Big news is Harry Reid said he’s introducing a bill next week that will require the CIA to monitor everything the White House says regarding Iran so that they won’t politicize intelligence.

Obviously, it’s unconstitutional. Congress couldn’t put that kind of limitation on the Executive Branch. But I like the sound of it because it seems like Reid thinks Bush is serious about Iran.

reid.jpg

__

Lee Camp was a reasonably good stand-up comedian who warmed up for Reid. I laughed at this line: “Native Americans are now allowing abortion on their reservations. Frankly, if I were Native American, I’d be doing all I could do to reduce the population of the white man—abortion, doctor–assisted suicide, designated hunting areas for Dick Cheney…”

Actually, abortion has a huge impact on minority communities, and Planned Parenthood’s founder Margaret Sanger had roots in the eugenics movement and said some awfully un-PC things about birth control and minorities.

Hmm. Camp’s joke sounded funny at the time.

__

Mark Warner’s speech this afternoon was well received except for one misstep. He said America needs to connect the dots between our energy policy and tyranny abroad (note—tyranny is a paraphrase, but that’s the gist. Bad things abroad.). It wasn’t only in the Middle East that this occurred, he noted, but also Hugo Chavez in Venezuela!

Silence. Mumbles. Someone said “oopsie!” (Okay, that was me.)

It was certainly not the applause line he was expecting.

Here’s a link to some Kos discussion on the Warner coziness courtesy of this dude.

___

Also warming up for Harry was a video produced and edited by a 15-year-old girl. It was just basic propaganda—images and text over some remix of “We Will Rock You”—but it was a great piece for firing up the base.

I think the Right is trailing in this particular arms race. Hot Air is a great start in countering the Left’s command of the creative culture—the quick response on the Zarqawi video was great—but I hope that this becomes a technology that’s widely adopted.

The cool thing about blogging is that anybody can do it. Video production is harder to do, but technology has changed enough that creative people ought to be able to start doing video on their own as well. At least with Hot Air and Powerline Video there’s now an incentive to do so, since they can now distribute conservative videos to a wide conservative audience. But the incentive is worthless if we don’t have our own creative people begin to learn and make video as well. I think one lesson to take away from this is that we need to think about ways to make the know-how and knowledge to do the basics of what Bryan does every day available to a bunch of smart grassroots conservatives. I like to think in a few years Hot Air will be like an Instapundit to a vast mob of videobloggers.

Sorry, that was boring and preachy and faux oracular. This place has affected my brain.

__

You know what I didn’t hear nearly as much as I expected? Israel and Palestine. I think one woman on the foreign policy panel mentioned the need for a peace process there despite countless slams at Neocons, but otherwise Palestine didn’t really show up on the Yearly Kos radar screen.

Oh, that reminds me. Also from that foreign policy panel: Arianna Huffington said that more Hadithas were “inevitable.”

But she supports the troops, those psycho hair-trigger My-Lai cutthroat killbot bastards.

___

To the commenter who offered the Lagavulin to wash out the taste of last night’s Kostini, I salute your taste and wish I could take you up on that. To the commenter who pointed out that the Riviera is, well, not the Bellagio, I’ll point out that all the Kos events (as opposed to the PAC events which were hella swank) were done on a shoe string. Actually, the standard registration fee is at a financial loss for them and they ask you to voluntarily contribute more than the regular registration—which is an interesting business model—but when you run an organic goat-yogurt creamery it’s sometimes hard to shell out for plane fare out here.

Oops, I just got made, for the second time today. I tell everybody who asks me who I’m writing for, and usually they ask more about the site or just nod and say “cool name”. But twice now I got the stink-eye. At least we’ve got some name recognition over among the nutroots, too.

Update: They didn’t give him much time to talk, but HA’s own Bryan Preston still managed to express his fondest well wishes to the Kossacks this morning on Good Morning America opposite a giggly Ana Marie Cox.

Here’s the video. Why is it that our people are always being paired off in these things against cute redheads?

Update: Our affiliate, Expose the Left, has video of Kos’s appearance opposite Byron York this morning on Meet the Press. The NY Times has a report on YK this morning, too. Vilsack shows some spine while Dean-o tells the nutroots he’s set up a special “Internet department” at the DNC whose job, god help them, is to read lefty bloggers all day long.

More on YK from WaPo. Say this much for Hillary: she’s one of the left’s few all-stars who’s not out there kowtowing to these creeps. And then there’s this from the Washington Times:

Previously: Infiltrating Yearly Kos: Tinfoil hats spotted; Infiltrating Yearly Kos: “Heh, indeed” edition; Infiltrating Yearly Kos: The taunting of Byron York; Infiltrating Yearly Kos: Now with photos!; Infiltrating Yearly Kos: “No, no, no, don’t call them a Nazi”; Infiltrating Yearly Kos: Post 1

Comments

- But I like the sound of it because it seems like Reid thinks Bush is serious about Iran. -

~

I heard something in the news this week that gives me the same impression. Bush said Iran has “Weeks, not Months” to decide whether or not to take the deal we’re offering.

The two other times Bush has said those exact words (Taliban & Saddam) it wound up as being an ass whoopin’.

venmax on June 11, 2006 at 12:58 PM

Now don’t get me wrong, because few are as patriotic and love our country as do I. But that said. . .

I don’t agree. Bush fears bad political press and baseless accusations against our troops more than he fears Iran! He will never even CONSIDER a military option there. Israel, perhaps, but Bush? Never!

Bush is going to go with the Axis of Appeasement in Europe and allow the powerless, impotent United Nations to “deal with the problem.” And the result will be about as effective as when the U.N. dealt with it in Iraq — with 17 useless resolutions.

BUSH WILL DO NOTHING to stop Iran in the way of military action.

The problem is, Iran knows it, too.

ForYourEdification on June 11, 2006 at 1:17 PM

Israel will take care of Iran. Wait and see. And the wait won’t be long if Iran keeps working on a bomb.

clyde on June 11, 2006 at 2:19 PM

“Bush fears bad political press and baseless accusations against our troops more than he fears Iran”

I don’t know how you can make that statement. 1) Bush has said many times that he is not concerned about the polls or public opinion. 2) Bush is a lame duck president who does not face reelection. 3) Historically, Bush has shown that he follows his own principles and beliefs sans public opinion.

If you view president Bush as the direct opposite of Bill Clinton which I do, than there is no basis for the referenced statement.

docdave on June 11, 2006 at 2:19 PM

Lagavulin….That’s exactly what I was drinking Election Night 2000. Or rather I was just sipping it until Florida was called for Gore and then I started GUZZLING it down to kill the pain of what I knew had to be a President Gore. I then proceeded to quickly pass out. Later, in what was a coma-like state, I heard Peter Jennings on the tube say that they put Florida back in the Undecided column but I figured what I heard was only a wishful dream. Then still later when they called Florida for Bush I figured it was the Lagavulin easing my pain but as more and more reports kept penetrating my drunken conciousness I slowly opened my eyes from my recumbent state on the floor with the Lagavulin bottle still in hand.

Then when Florida went BACK into the undecided column, my first thought was to hit the Lagavulin again but I had done enough drinking for the evening. Oh, and I’ll never forgive those erroneous news reports on election night for causing me to WASTE a lot of Lagavulin that spilled on my T-shirt while I was sprawled on the floor in my state of unconciousness.

Hmmm…. I was actually going to make ONLY a brief comment about Lagavulin before commenting on the Kos convention but got sidetracked with that 2000 Election Night memory.

pjcomix on June 11, 2006 at 2:21 PM

” The line that earned him the most enthusiastic applause with hoots and hollers was his call for Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld to be fired.

But seconds later, Mr. Warner said that “we are all glad to see the end of” terrorist Abu Musab Zarqawi. That line was followed by silence.”

Could the silence be attributed to…

(1) they just heard the news and they are stunted
(2) they are too sad
(3) they don’t know who zarqawi is
(4) they were totally spaced out to Captain Kirk
(5) the tin hats taking effect

easy87us on June 11, 2006 at 3:17 PM

Nice job, Bryan! Way to work the “nutroots” in, buddy. Heh.

Pablo on June 11, 2006 at 3:21 PM

I’ll go with #2, easy, if you add on “at Zarqawi’s death, because all in all, we on the left think he was a great guy at sticking up all the downtrodden in Iraq at the hands of the Great Satan.”

William Teach on June 11, 2006 at 3:56 PM

Dying of laughter. From the Kos thread on Warner:

“Then Warner gave a well presented and well received speech, emphasizing a Dukakis-like technocratic competency that was striking (if one hadn’t been expecting it) for its lack of ideology.”

You just cannot make this stuff up!

William Teach on June 11, 2006 at 3:58 PM

I’ll go with #5, easy, but I would add whatever drugs are in their system.

birdman on June 11, 2006 at 4:09 PM

“That line was followed by silence.”

Wow, that says it all right there. Not too difficult to figure out whose side these creeps are on in the global jihad.

speed647 on June 11, 2006 at 4:11 PM

docdave on June 11, 2006 at 2:19 PM
===============================

DOCDAVE:
You must understand the nature of politicians and politics to accurately write of them. I have been writing of them professionally for more than 15 years. Sometimes, all is not what is seems to be.

———————————–
Not so. Bush may SAY that, and he might even be fool enough not to personally care (which would be stubbornness – a very dangerous quality in a president), but his party surely DOES care! Witness for instance, the bogus immigration raids staged whenever Bush’s polls drop. Big media splash, grab a few illegals, release most of them (except criminal aliens), mission NOT accomplished! Have you noticed that not a SINGLE major law-breaking employer was raided? No meat packing plants with THOUSANDS of workers, for instance. And what good is a catch-and-release program? It is USELESS!

2) Bush is a lame duck president who does not face reelection.
————————————
Yes, he is. But his PARTY is not, and Bush’s obstinately foolish actions are seriously affecting his PARTY! So what’s your point? That being a lame duck makes him “fearless?” If so, he is also a fool. I fear Muslim terrorists, their potential to gain nuclear technology, and an ability to deliver it. To be fearless in the face of fear is to be a fool. The thing to do with fear is to FIGHT it! Bush has decided to negotiate with it.

———————————–
Yes, he has, and does. Which explains why we all fear (there’s that word again!) Hillary Clinton running and actually making it, along with losing congressional seats in both houses of congress. Yes indeed, Bush too often follows HIS principles -– not those best for our nation or people.

And finally, Bush is hardly the “opposite of Bill Clinton.” His open Border policies and “Globalization of America” has given us his version of Clinton’s NAFTA (CAFTA), which is job-killing. Other than that, you are right.

I DESPISE the Clintons — but Bill’s administration left us deep in the black. Bush’s refusal to veto a single spending bill has brought us an out of control RED budget. Bush’s outsourcing policies killed the blue collar American. Our trade debt is so out of balance that the scales have tipped over. Do not cast in a good light Bush’s stubbornness, or see it as a good thing; it is neither.

But you’re right. He IS the opposite of Clinton. Some of that, however, is not very good for Americans unless they are part of the Beltway elite.

ForYourEdification on June 11, 2006 at 4:34 PM

[Tune in to tomorrow to Larry King Live, where I’ll be debating Lindsay Lohan, Marcia Cross, and Alyson Hannigan on the Zarqawi killing and what it means for the war on terror.]

Were Julianne Moore, Nicole Kidman, and Angie Everhart unavailable?

Kid from Brooklyn on June 11, 2006 at 4:37 PM

J.H.C. …what the f*ck is wrong with these people???

The Ugly American on June 11, 2006 at 4:58 PM

Absolute proof that they consider Bush to be worse than the head-loppers of the world. Yes I DO question their patriotism.

Can we PLEASE get them to identify a country they like and get them to move there??

Mike O on June 11, 2006 at 5:29 PM

darwin on June 11, 2006 at 5:58 PM

“I wonder if Warner would have received applause if he would’ve pulled out a sword and screamed “death to infidel conservatives” !!!”

What would be “yes,” Alex. :)

There are times when the Leftards are really amusing, other times ya have to think “these lunatics are going to get worse” and be in charge when we are senior citizens.” Scary

William Teach on June 11, 2006 at 6:52 PM

ForYourEdicication: I agree with what you wrote…with supplement…

(1) Bush did changed his position a few times because of the opinions from his own base. On nomination of Harriet Meir and the port deal are two of the incidences I can think of.

(2) Bush tried not to be a lame duck but as long as he keeps doing opposite to his own support base, he will become one. Bush is tough and he does not become a lame duck because of re-election or the liberals.

(3) Bush does have and act according to his own belief. However, it is time for him to change because the support base demands changes. The major issue now facing Bush is the Amnesty Bill. He must change or the House shall make him a lame duck. Against the Amnesty Bill has proven to be a winning strategy and the rest of the House members will adopt with confidence! That is why I think the Calif. election victory is a huge deal!

easy87us on June 11, 2006 at 7:09 PM

You’re all missing the point of this convention. They’re trying to stop the slide into oblivion.

tormod on June 12, 2006 at 6:29 AM

For some great videos, don’t miss Buck Sargent’s over at http://americancitizensoldier.blogspot.com/

Scroll down, on the right.

Melba Toast on June 12, 2006 at 8:47 AM