US troops accused of beating Zarqawi before he died

posted at 10:53 am on June 10, 2006 by Allahpundit

Gee, I, er, hope it’s not true:

An Iraqi man who was one of the first people on the scene of the U.S. airstrike targeting Abu Musab al-Zarqawi said he saw American troops beating a man who had a beard like the al Qaeda leader.

The witness, who lives near the house where al-Zarqawi spent his last days, said he saw the man lying on the ground near an irrigation canal. He was badly wounded but still alive, the man told Associated Press Television News.

As they say, some stories are too good to check.

But what if he’s right? The mere thought of it fills me with — what’s the word? Ah yes. “Heart-ache.”

Update: The autopsy has begun. Meanwhile, Zarqawi might have been a Wahhabist but his women certainly weren’t: found among the wreckage were “a leopard skin nightgown and other skimpy women’s clothes.”

Update: Shocking! New! Revelations! from the Therapist and Jeff Goldstein.

Update: More “bad” news.

Comments

Good for the troops, if true!

Paul Atreides on June 10, 2006 at 10:57 AM

Just like I said when I heard Zarqi was dead … “Oh please please pleeeeease let this be true!”

Imagine the feeling of satisfaction of knowing that you were the one who rid the world of this demon!

I say we find out who these troops were and name a holiday after them!

Tony737 on June 10, 2006 at 11:00 AM

I am notifying the ACLU right away!

Ropera on June 10, 2006 at 11:01 AM

I am sooooo jealous!

Pablo on June 10, 2006 at 11:02 AM

Um….

Awwwww?

venmax on June 10, 2006 at 11:03 AM

Lol! Check out the video Political Pit Bull whipped up…

I love that song…

venmax on June 10, 2006 at 11:07 AM

Too bad they didn’t video the soldiers cutting his head off while HE was alive, then they could send it to al-Jazeeri and let them play it over and over. Next!

clyde on June 10, 2006 at 11:12 AM

Just think: if it is true it will give Michael Berg something else to go even more insane over. He is already weeping and gnashing his teeth over the death of this slig*.

*In the novel Dune, by Frank Herbert, a slig is a genetic crossing between a pig and a giant slug.

Paul Atreides on June 10, 2006 at 11:16 AM

And the problem is what?…………..

dallas94 on June 10, 2006 at 11:19 AM

Once the “insurgents” in the Mainstream Mess began obsessing on the circumstances and the time of al-Zarqawi’s death, I knew something sinister was afoot.

Aunt B on June 10, 2006 at 11:19 AM

From the CBS Web Site: “U.S. troops arriving on the scene wrapped the man’s head in an Arab robe and began beating him, said the local man, who refused to give his name or show his face to the camera. His account could not be independently verified. ”

I’m confused, CBS. If you can’t independently verify a news account, WHY would you even publish the information? Oh yea, I forgot. You’re CBS. Accuse first, verify later. That goes right along with your liberal agenda. Villify the military at every opportunity and at every cost. Coddle the enemy, distrust Americans.

I CAN believe this is happening. it was to be expected of the MSM.

pullingmyhairout on June 10, 2006 at 11:22 AM

Maybe he was slapping him in the face to help keep him conscious so he can see an American soldier facing him one more time?

Agree, accuse first, verify later…a la Haditha.

Kokonut on June 10, 2006 at 11:29 AM

Well, tell me who is surprised here? It took longer than I thought for “whoever” to start trashing the troops. If they did send him to his virgins…a huge thank you and Sunday dinner at my house for their heroic deed. They have spared us the sordid details of a trial…as with Saddam…that animal has his day in court while his victims lie dead in a trench in some God forsaken desert. Can’t wait for John Kerry to latch on to this lie. Does anyone doubt that he will want an inquiry into the details of the death of this’religious leader?’ It will be a hoot to watch the lefties grabbing for first place to condem our soldier, one more time. Murtha….where are you??? I am waiting with baited breath to hear your comment…on second thought, I think he is giving the response to the presidents morning speech….tune in for more details.

Sandys Beach on June 10, 2006 at 11:31 AM

It was to be expected from CBS and the likes.
There will be more accusations. i.e. When they do a little more ‘research’ and find out ZarQ’owie’ pissed his pants when he saw our boys bearing down on him (just after gettin’ his arse blown off) Al CBS or CNNister will claim our troops pissed on him. Good idea, I would have.

shooter on June 10, 2006 at 11:32 AM

What pullingmyhairout said.

This isn’t journalism, it’s slander. A new low for CBS.

speed647 on June 10, 2006 at 11:41 AM

Maybe Dan Rather et al from CBS would like to be pallbearers.
CBS might fund the tickets, so maybe the idiots at CBS should ask the powers that be.

clyde on June 10, 2006 at 11:44 AM

Relentless (and I mean RELENTLESS) attacks against and an open effort to take down a sitting President? Check.

Quagmire meme? Check.

Military worn out and flagging meme? Check.

Oportunistic generals and politicians claiminig it’s time to cut and run meme? Check.

Uncle Walty Cronkite telling the US it’s time to get out? Check?

Baby-killer accusations, a la My Lai? Check.

The left just keeps trying so desperately and transparently to shape this conflict as vietnam v2.0. And it just simply isn’t. No how much they cross their fingers and toes and hope it is.

Cowards. Appeasers. Idiots.

I hope posterity remembers well the openly seditious things said and done during this very pivotal time in human history.

I’m all for free speech. But with freedom comes responsibility. You can say anything you want, but you must be prepared for the consequences of your actions.

Responsibility and accountability seem to be completely antithetical to the mindset on the left. I sure wish they’d wake up.

But to be honest, I’ve seen some encouraging signs that some on the left indeed are waking up. Long way to go though.

techno_barbarian on June 10, 2006 at 11:54 AM

I wonder if anyone in the MSM has ever shed a tear, I mean a single tear for all of the US troops this scumbag Zarqawi was responsible for killing and maiming. Not to mention all the Iraqs he was responsible for killing. The MSM has no shame. HEY AHOLES IN THE MSM; LEAVE AMERICAN TROOPS ALONE! In a time of war the MSM engages is sedition. “Godless”.

birdman on June 10, 2006 at 11:56 AM

you just KNEW the media would get this in, even if they had to make it up themselves.

Duty, Honor, Country
(in THAT order)
Rowane

Rowane on June 10, 2006 at 11:58 AM

America! F@&# YEAH! Comin’ again to save the muthaf@&#in’ day yeah!
America! F@&# YEAH! Freedom is the only way yeah!
Terrorist your game is through, ’cause now ya hafta answer to, America! F@&# YEAH!
So blank my blank and blank on my blanks!

Tony737 on June 10, 2006 at 12:05 PM

I just wish they’d have kept alive long enough so he could suffer a bit more and deliver his Yearly Kos keynote address.

JammieWearingFool on June 10, 2006 at 12:06 PM

Wait, I thought the Iraqi troops were the first on the scene, and Zarq was trying to push himself off of their stretcher and mumble some last words.

It could have been a joint operation on the ground, but I’m positive I saw that the Iraqis got there first.

see-dubya on June 10, 2006 at 12:07 PM

Good. No, GREAT! FANTASTIC!

True or not, who cares, the beast is DEAD.

Get ready for another nine zillion hours of the liberal media’s second-guessing “investigations,” bogus reporting and testimony from lying Iraqis, for WHAT?

Good riddance to a piece of garbage!

ForYourEdification on June 10, 2006 at 12:09 PM

Hard to believe someone could survive not one but TWO 500lb bombs only to be beaten to death by American soldiers. One can only hope it is true.

DJ Dubya on June 10, 2006 at 12:11 PM

I hate being right all the time. I also predicted Senate and House “hearings” “investigations” “studies” “panels” “audits””special committees” “inquiries” “iunspections” “oversight checks” .

Now to finsh the war on terrorism. Point the F-16s to the Iraqi homes of the MSM and this time use 1000 lb bombs.

MaiDee on June 10, 2006 at 12:15 PM

Just had a thought I did. A terrible one. What if in a few days or so, after DNA and stuff gets done, we find out it was indeed Raheme the falafel magnate we capped the other night? Just sayin’. My head hurts.

james hooker on June 10, 2006 at 12:24 PM

I’m waiting for the inevitible photoshop of Zarqawi in the leopord skin nightie…

coondawg on June 10, 2006 at 12:34 PM

What? C-BS will try anything. Can we throw in a Kinko’s somewhere in here, and then it will be complete. I am sure the documents are being typed up as we speak. :-)

~B

Brian on June 10, 2006 at 12:35 PM

The left is going to latch onto this and run with it. I swear, does CBS not have a friggin clue as to the damage this is going to cause our soldiers—again??? Taking the word of ONE man, who refused to be identified (doesn’t that give them a clue??!) and running a story on it is apalling. They have no problems smearing the names of our soldiers on an unverified account. Makes me sick and highly pissed off.

StephC on June 10, 2006 at 12:50 PM

The left is going to latch onto this and run with it.

Allahpundit on June 10, 2006 at 12:51 PM

Allahpundit, you mean overly exposed? They already are.

Kokonut on June 10, 2006 at 1:01 PM

Kokonut I agree the MSM left themselves overly exposed with regards to Haditha.

birdman on June 10, 2006 at 1:12 PM

Wait ’til John F’n Kerry hears about this! It’s just like Winter Soldiers all over again… damn those soldiers.

Did you know Kerry served in Vietnam? He was in Cambodia for Christmas.

Bob Mileti on June 10, 2006 at 1:23 PM

I agree with Allahpundit that it leaves them too exposed. I was just visiting the Huff Post (reading a bunch of vile entries) and there really wasn’t a lot of comments on the haditha thing and whether or not it is true. (Aside – I did read interesting comments on Hugo Chavez and his “War Games.” Ya’ll might want to check those out. It shows what we are up against and confirms that the left has truly lost their minds.)

pullingmyhairout on June 10, 2006 at 1:25 PM

I did know that John F’n Kerry served in Vietnam. I am unclear about which side, VC, or NVA?

birdman on June 10, 2006 at 1:28 PM

I dont know if I agree w/ the exposed theory. Ignorance is too blissful. They dont think they’re wrong.
Narcissism in it’s truest form. It’s the only way I can explain it without going postal.

shooter on June 10, 2006 at 1:34 PM

Thanks to the HotAir crew for this little oasis in the vast wastelands of MSM and old media!
Iraqi raises questions on al-Zarqawi death .. AP thread at FReeRepublic.com

and for a pile of Zarqawi related threads.. FR Keyword ‘Zarqawi’
Zarqawi

normsrevenge on June 10, 2006 at 1:38 PM

They don’t care that they’re wrong. Lies vs facts matters not because they mean so well and you’re just evil.

There’s only so much of that you can foist on a noncommittal public and expect to be taken seriously. I think the vast majority of Americans hear we got Zarqawi and loved it.

Pablo on June 10, 2006 at 1:40 PM

/Pan to American Medic…

Slap… Slap….”Wake up Mother %^%%^#”

Pan to close up of Zarquari’s face…. as the eyes flicker…

“Eat this Asshole….” says the valiant American as he shoves a PORK sausage in Zarquari’s mouth…

Yep… no Virgins then… MU HAAA HAAAAA

One can only hope…

Romeo13 on June 10, 2006 at 1:41 PM

At yesterdays press conference with Gen Caldwell the MSM left themselves exposed big time. Asking questions like, was he shot, is their evidence of a bullet hole, was there an autopsy. The evil US has murdred the monster the MSM is trying to imply.

birdman on June 10, 2006 at 1:55 PM

Any chance the Iraqi government will be willing to string up Zarqawi like a pinata in the town square and let the families of his victims have a whack at him?

GT on June 10, 2006 at 2:00 PM

So… what’s the CBS news ratings like these days? Does anybody aside from a few tinfoil hat wearers actually trust them for news anymore?

Maybe CBS and the other outlets of AP “news readers” should wake up and smell what they’ve been shoveling. Not that I’m holding my breath for that… what’s more likely is CBS coming out with a revisionist story stating that, while “the account cannot be independently verified”, Jews who were double agents for the CIA and were secretly embedded in the Russian unit that found Hilter in the bunker beat him, peed on a Koran for good measure, and then faked Hitler’s suicide.

Dave Shay on June 10, 2006 at 2:13 PM

I hope the last thing that went through Zarquawi’s mind was a US Army combat boot.

MaiDee on June 10, 2006 at 2:16 PM

Zak’s last words were,
“What do you mean it’s 72 VIRGINIANS???”

lizzee on June 10, 2006 at 3:12 PM

How dumb am I???? Once something like this is said on radio and TV the public just runs with it. Never mind if it is incorrect or just plain made up…it was reported and even if it gets retracted the damage is done. They are so good at planting a thought and then watching it take shape. Stinking media play their games with our freedom for ratings…Commie Bastards!!!!

Sandys Beach on June 10, 2006 at 3:14 PM

Wow….how bad!!! So very bad…bad, dude…bad!

You bad boys…bad….

OK…now that it is over, can I buy you a beer?

easy87us on June 10, 2006 at 3:30 PM

I know what we should do. We should have nurtured him back to great health, put him in Barbra Streisand’s huge mansion, serve him Orange Blossom Chicken and poached Trout every day. We should have Mickael Berg apologizes to him daily, and have Cindy Sheehan massage him, and find him 27 virgins to serve him.

Yep, that is what we should do.

May be I need to find myself a big chopping knife and a copy of Koran.

easy87us on June 10, 2006 at 3:47 PM

“No they won’t. Most of them won’t have anything to do with the Zarqawi killing. It leaves them too exposed.

Allahpundit on June 10, 2006 at 12:51 PM”

Allah my man, you don’t know the stupidity of the liberal press. have not they burnt themselves every time they have a chance to in past 10 years? You are reasoning, but they are not!

They will run with it until their crap overflows back to their mouth and out, like in the South park Kids. I am not being gross but this is apparently the best description I can find.

How can you explain why 20 stupid congressman would write a letter to Ann? Why would they commit political suicide? Why couldn’t they learn from Bush? ( even though Bush is not one of the smart ones already)

I can only conclude that the entire Democratic Party is imploding. they have no platform, no issues, nothing to run on so they would grap anything even it is the tail of a huge crocodile.

easy87us on June 10, 2006 at 3:56 PM

Allahpundit and Pablo, you are spot-on right! This is not good for the Left. Not good for November and the realization/desperation has set in.

The leaders on the left, the MSM and the Kos crowd, instead of savoring the victory for even one day, are scrambling how to maneuver this into something ‘not so bad for them’. But, they know! Mr. and Mrs. America might be detached but they are not stupid and they are definitely not suicidal.

Everyone else who commented, what support, wit and sanity! Thank you all.

There will be no hearings on this – 85% of the American population would side with the soldiers (even if they should have thrown cold water on the beast, to wake him up so he could see them), so close to Nov., now that Murtha has revealed his true intentions…

Entelechy on June 10, 2006 at 4:00 PM

Here is a comment from a friend who is a Vietnam veteran:

“Yeah, and I read in the paper today that the Iraqis on the scene found him alive and put him on a stretcher and put some restraints on him loosely to keep him from falling off. When the Americans started to arrive, he was squirming around so much, they thought he might fall off the stretcher so they tightened up his restraints. They said he said “something” in a funny sort of way and soon expired. (I know what he said!….. He said: “Hey! …This restraint.. around my neck… is…. too….. [email protected]….. ugh… tight!….. aaaagghhhh! gurgle gurgle gurgle”

Entelechy on June 10, 2006 at 4:29 PM

I would have done a tap dance on his windpipe and then used his head for field goal practice…

It’s long enough, it’s straight enough, it’s GOOOOOOOOOD!!

Richard Davis on June 10, 2006 at 4:49 PM

Doug Flutie retired this year and the last play of his career was a drop kick field goal…need I say more?

Wade on June 10, 2006 at 4:58 PM

I heard the US Troops placed a Boom Box next to him and blasted Toby Keith’s “Angry American” Song…

UNCLE SAM PUT YOUR NAME AT THE TOP OF HIS LIST
AND THE STATUE OF LIBERTY STARTED SHAKEN HER FIST
AT IT’LL FEEL LIKE THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD IS COMING DOWN ON YOUUUUUU
BROUGHT TO YOU COURTESY… OF THE RED, WHITE, AND BLUE

Richard Davis on June 10, 2006 at 5:19 PM

Two words

BULL & …………….Poo :-p

Defector01 on June 10, 2006 at 5:30 PM

Defector01 and Friends

Contact Liberals Anonymous – they can help you back.

1-800-4LOSERS

Richard Davis on June 10, 2006 at 5:35 PM

How very strange.

We can drop 1,000 pounds worth of high explosive on his head. But God forbid we slap him around afterwards.

Personally I admire our soldiers’ restraint. I think I’d have to struggle not to empty a clip into his shriveled, unused ball sack. A message from Nick Berg.

Professor Blather on June 10, 2006 at 6:23 PM

Go ahead, liberals … make our day by running with this. Please … oh please :)

thirteen28 on June 10, 2006 at 6:30 PM

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again! I think the troops got it right. Good for them.

Semper Fi!

Chief1942 on June 10, 2006 at 7:11 PM

Defector01 –

disregard my last… my bad. thought you were somebody else (the drifter) sorry.

Richard Davis on June 10, 2006 at 7:19 PM

This is why I refuse to watch the MSM anymore.

Abigail Adams on June 10, 2006 at 7:52 PM

Richard Davis
No problem. Defector means I left the left :-D

So let me see if i get this straight
An unnamed iraqi, immediately on the scene after the bombs blew the house to smithereins who refuses to identify themselves, saw our soldiers beating a terorrist who was by and large, already dead.
You know, I saw Michael Moore and Janeane Garafalo clubbing and eating the sea lions at the childrens pool in la jolla. I was first on the scene but I won’t identify myself beyond defector. Lets see what happens ok?

Defector01 on June 10, 2006 at 8:21 PM

NBC states:

“The witness said he saw the man lying on the ground, badly wounded but still alive. He said U.S. troops arriving on the scene wrapped the man’s head in an Arab robe and began beating him.”

Doesn’t NBC realize how stupidly insane is this?

You are an American soldier, full of rage, but…”wait!, let’s put the Arab robe before beating him up! It is more fun!”

The whole enchilada: http://www.nbc4i.com/news/9351294/detail.html

Ropera on June 10, 2006 at 8:25 PM

The left is going to latch onto this and run with it.

Allahpundit on June 10, 2006 at 12:51 PM

I’m not so sure about that. Of course, half of the moonbats don’t even think Zarqawi exists, so…. (Well, he doesn’t anymore, lol.) I just think that the dems feel any victory on our part is a loss to the democrats. So this “story” of us beating him before he died is a way for the moonies to save face. Their logic is basically illogical, and dangerous to our forces.

StephC on June 10, 2006 at 9:29 PM

Romeo and Entelechy, thanks for the good laugh. What could be more fun than laughing at the dead terrorist and his painful demise. By the way, did the 3 terrorists at Gitmo who hung themselves do it in protest of zman’s death? (I question the timing!) Do they still get their 72 pigman demons?

Tony737 on June 10, 2006 at 9:34 PM

This witness is ALL WRONG, the Troops wrapped an Arab robe around A LIBERAL’s head, and then punched him…

Richard Davis on June 10, 2006 at 10:08 PM

He’s lucky they didn’t drop him in East LA!

Reality Check on June 10, 2006 at 10:16 PM

As time passes by the story gets richier and richier…

Houston Chronicle/Washington Post:

The name of the witness? Of course! Mohammed Ahmed, easy to find.

The residents put the bearded man in the ambulance.(remember that Zarqawi is the only bearded man in Iraq). Then the American soldiers took him out and beat him on the stomach…then (the soldiers) stomped on his stomach and chest until he died and blood came out of his nose.

Of course, the information starts with “U.S. officials have altered their account of the death of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi”

Ropera on June 10, 2006 at 11:40 PM

AP this evening with this.. FR thread
Forensic specialists to examine al-Zarqawi ^

normsrevenge on June 11, 2006 at 1:21 AM

Now, this can be handled quite easily. No need for inquests, congressional panels, none of that. Our military are a very honorable and professional men and women. I believe all we will have to do is ask them to confess as to “who kicked the last of the shit out of this asshole ???”

I am sure the Pentagon won’t get more than 200,000 confessions claiming to the the one who did !!!!

ChipThome on June 11, 2006 at 2:43 AM

Is there a problem?

gary on June 11, 2006 at 6:11 AM

This is giving me a giggle…Somehow I just can’t imagine our Marines “beating him around the stomach and head.” Just does not sit on my mind real well…Now if they said someone put a bullet between his eyes, I might have given that a bit of credibility…these people are still living in a 13th century cesspool and believe we do the same. What scum…and that includes our own media…can’t wait for the Sunday AM talkies to get cranked up.
AND..what is this they found?…skimpy leopard print slip and other womens flimsy unergarments….ALLAH must be pleased!

Sandys Beach on June 11, 2006 at 8:57 AM

“US troops accused of beating Zarqawi before he died”

pocomoco on June 11, 2006 at 10:16 AM

“US troops accused of beating Zarqawi before he died”

AND YOUR POINT IS???

pocomoco on June 11, 2006 at 10:17 AM

The skimpy leopard outfit and the flimsy undergarments were being saved for Peter Arnett, Mary Mapes, Helen Thomas… ewwwwww, OK that just conjured up a bad mental image. I’ll stop right there.

Dave Shay on June 11, 2006 at 10:28 AM

The most understandable explanation [credit Rush Limbaugh] is that the DriveByMedia cannot resist publishing/broadcasting anything they hope might be true. That is the key: something they hope might be true, especially if it puts their enemy [the United States of America] in a bad light.

Lamonte Thomas on June 11, 2006 at 10:43 AM

As usual, the point is missed by both the far left and the far right.

Were he found alive, he would be a very valuable intel asset for us, so it makes no sense that the Marines found him alive and then killed him by beating or otherwise.

honora on June 12, 2006 at 2:50 PM