Zarqawi, post IV: Seventeen other raids part of the hit (Update: Rep. Pete Stark questions the timing)

posted at 4:47 pm on June 8, 2006 by Allahpundit

It pains me to bump the Yearly Kos post down but duty calls. Apparently we had our own little version of the end of the Godfather last night: damn near everyone got hit. A “treasure trove” of information was collected, says Gen. Caldwell.

Murtha was just on CNN so I’m going to have to go sit through his crap to see if there’s any video worth harvesting. In the meantime, just stick with Newsbusters and Media Blog. Nuggets aplenty.

Update: Charming:

Some Democrats, breaking ranks from their leadership, today said the death of terrorist leader Abu Musab Zarqawi in Iraq was a stunt to divert attention from an unpopular and hopeless war.

“This is just to cover Bush’s [rear] so he doesn’t have to answer” for Iraqi civilians being killed by the U.S. military and his own sagging poll numbers, said Rep. Pete Stark, California Democrat. “Iraq is still a mess — get out.”

Update: CNN has a blaring headline up right now about Zarqawi having been “betrayed” by his, ahem, spiritual advisor, but the AP says it was inadvertent.

Update: Time reports that the key bit of intel came from the Jordanians, who tipped the CIA about Zarqawi’s rendezvous with his advisor, Sheik Abd-al-Rahman. Meanwhile, back in Jordan:

[A] 12-foot banner was erected Thursday outside the home of Zarqawi’s brother, Sayel “Abu Omar” al-Khalayilaht. In blue letters on white, it proclaimed “the wedding of the hero martyr Abu Mousab al Zarqawi,” a reference to the belief among his supporters that his “martyrdom” in the jihad against America has set him on a wedding-like procession to paradise. Veiled women weeping near the house were admonished by al-Khalayilaht, who said “Don’t cry, but ululate, for he is a hero and a martyr.”

Update: It’s in the nature of news that criminals get press while their victims remain obscure, and all the more so the greater the number of victims there are. So take a moment to think of this guy, whose wedding reception last November at a hotel in Amman turned into a slaughterhouse when it was hit by one of Zarqawi’s suicide bombers.

ashraf.jpg

His wife survived. His father, and both of her parents, did not. Nor did 30 or so other people in attendance. His reaction:

“I received the news like anyone who has suffered from the calamities of terrorism,” Akhras told Reuters in Kuwait, his home for the past two months. “I felt God has brought His heavenly justice on earth today.”…

“Time may heal something simple, but what happened to us was big,” he said. “I don’t remember it as my wedding day, it’s a day in which the eyes of Amman turned black and cried.

“I can’t describe how I feel,” he said, tears in his eyes.

Update: The Christian Science Monitor is upbeat. Note what M.J. Gohel has to say about how hard it’ll be for jihadis to replace Zarqawi’s iconic value. Christopher Hitchens finally has a piece up at Slate and he’s upbeat too, of course. He closes with this salute to the world’s Jack Murthas and Markos Zunigas:

If we had withdrawn from Iraq already, as the “peace” movement has been demanding, then one of the most revolting criminals of all time would have been able to claim that he forced us to do it. That would have catapulted Iraq into Stone Age collapse and instated a psychopathic killer as the greatest Muslim soldier since Saladin. As it is, the man is ignominiously dead and his dirty connections a lot closer to being fully exposed. This seems like a good day’s work to me.

Update: Arab TV responds the way you’d expect.

Update: Fatal ambivalence in the Arab world.

Comments

So, when the US & it’s allies get a win (aceing Zarqawi, capturing Saddam Hussein, etc.) it’s a propaganda ploy. When the flit hits the shan (Abu Gharib, Haditha, etc.) we’re in a quagmire.

Who writes the script for these clowns?

And who was it that stated something was so ridiculous only an intellectual would believe it? Comes to mind for some reason.

SSvet on June 8, 2006 at 5:07 PM

We have a victory over this creep, and the Dems call it a distraction????! WTF!

They should rename their party – Born to Fail, not wait, France!

Kini on June 8, 2006 at 5:08 PM

Let the smart bombs fall!!! I don’t know who I am sick of the most; the Iraqi terrorists or the numb skull contrary American lefties.

Also, for the lefties whining about the killing of the woman and child in the safe house, I say “if you sleep with dogs, expect flees”. If the mother was complicit, then she is no better than the ones that throw their babies in dumpsters. If she was a hostage, the terrorists just murdered another innocent victim and her child. Either way, it’s too bad for the kid.

Shmo on June 8, 2006 at 5:11 PM

LOVVVVVE that ululation. Loooolooloolooloodiddlediddlediddle. Flap, flap, flap, go the burkas. Wave goodbye, girls, the old bastard is on his way to paradise, with his “spiritual advisor” bringing the key. Wait til they get inside before Zarqawi find out the virgins are all boys.

clyde on June 8, 2006 at 5:23 PM

I question Stark’s timing on his questioning on the timing on the killing of AZ.

Kokonut on June 8, 2006 at 5:25 PM

Ann who???

The Ugly American on June 8, 2006 at 5:27 PM

Zarki appears in hell and satan is standing in front of him. Zark screams but satan says “Wait, relax, it’s not like that here. Let me explain how it works. Do you like to drink?” Zarki, still scared, says “Y-yeah” Satan says “Oh, you’re gonna LOVE Monday! Monday morning we get up, we drink beer, scotch, vodka, til we puke, pass out, and do it all over again!” Zarki is still a little freaked. “Ok” Satan says “Do ya like to do drugs?” Zarki says “Yeah, I do.” Satan says “Oh, you’re gonna LOVE Tuesday! Tuesday morning we get up, we do crack, we do heroine, we do coke, til we puke, pass out and do it all over again!” Zarki’s coming around now, he says “Hey, that’s cool!” Satan says “Do ya like to eat?” Zarki smiles ans says “I LOVE to eat!” Satan says “Oh, you’re gonna LOVE Wednesday! We get up, we eat lobster, filet mignon, til we puke, pass out and do it over again!” Zarki says “This is great!” Satan says “Do ya like to screw women?” Zarki’s face lights up ” I LOVE to screw women!” Satan says “Oh, you’re gonna LOVE Thursday! Thursday morning we get up and screw ‘em like this and we screw ‘em like that til we puke, pass out and do it all over again!” Zarki shouts “I LOVE it here!” Satan says “Are ya gay?” Zarki loses his smile “Um, no I’m not GAY!” Satan says “Oh, you’re gonna HATE Friday!”

Tony737 on June 8, 2006 at 5:30 PM

Stark’s and idiot . . . enough said.

rplat on June 8, 2006 at 5:38 PM

Its always Friday in Hell.

shooter on June 8, 2006 at 5:47 PM

Zarqawi was killed in a bomb accident. OK, it wasn’t an accident but he arrives at the gates of
heaven. St. Peter says “I’m St. Peter. Welcome to Heaven”.

The Muslim says “Nice to meet you Peter but I’m a Muslim and I want to
meet Muhammad.”

St. Peter says “Sure no problem. Climb up that ladder behind you and
you will meet Muhammad”

The Muslim climbs up the ladder, gets to the top and there is Moses.
Moses says “Hi I’m Moses. Welcome to Heaven”.

The Muslim is very excited – “Moses, its such an honor to meet you.
But like I told St. Peter, I’m a Muslim and I really want to meet
Muhammad”.

Moses says “No problem. Climb up the ladder behind you and you will
meet Muhammad.

The Muslim climbs up the ladder, gets to the top, he can’t see
anything but bright light. He sees this figure before him and asks
“Who are you?”

The figure responds – “I am God. Nice to meet you. Welcome to Heaven”.
God walks over and shakes his hand.

The Muslim is stunned – he can hardly speak. He says to God “Sir, it
is such an honor to meet you – I can’t believe it – this place is great.
But I’m a Muslim and, no disrespect intended, but I really want to meet
Muhammad.”

God says “Ohh.. You’re here to see Muhammad. I see. No problem. Have a
seat. Get comfortable. Can I get you some coffee or something to eat?”

The Muslim says “I would love a cup of coffee”

So God yells into the kitchen: “Hey Muhammad! Two cups of coffee!”

Entelechy on June 8, 2006 at 5:48 PM

Rep. Pete Stark, the California Democrat who thinks that Zarqawi’s death was a Bush “cover-up,” at least has finally proved one thing that until now I could only suspect:

That California is indeed the land of fruits and nuts!

ForYourEdification on June 8, 2006 at 5:49 PM

ForYourEdification,

Pete Stark represents California’s 13th Congressional District which encompasses the East Bay and stretches from Oakland to San Jose.

Not all in Calif. are “fruits and nuts”. San Francisco and surroundings, and Los Angeles, ruin our otherwise sane state.

If amnesty passes, however, your claim will be 100% true.

Entelechy on June 8, 2006 at 5:57 PM

So who plays Michael Corleone in this little scenario – Bush? Rummy? Caldwell? Who plays Tessio, the smart guy who gets taken out for being a little too clever? And who plays the brother who gets passed over for being weak and stupid? Kerry?

Come to think of it Allah, you could come up with a pretty good photoshop riffing on the whole Godfather theme if you set your mind to it.

Mark V. on June 8, 2006 at 5:58 PM

Rep. Pete Stark is a nut-case indeed. Just who votes for these idiots??

gary on June 8, 2006 at 6:04 PM

The handwringing has begun. Some radiostations have guests on who lament that Zarqawi wasn’t caught alive so he could have been interrogated…then he wouldn’t be a martyr. Saddam’s two sons are not martyrs and they are just as dead. Regrets abound that Saddam’s spiderhole wasn’t gased or blasted before questions were asked.

Never mind that masses of intelligence were gathered in these multiple raids, even though Zarqawi was killed.

What would nuanced “President Kerry” have done?

-Did we inform the French yet and how do they feel about the plan?
-Did Zarqawi have a troubled childhood?
-How will the U.N. react to this?
-How will this affect World Leadership?
-How will this affect the World’s view of us? Will they stop loving us?

Mhh, they don’t approve. Then let’s not do it.

Entelechy on June 8, 2006 at 6:20 PM

Folks, you can feel the agony and the pain the left is suffering now, right?

DO I HEAR “RIGHT”?….DO I HEAR PAIN? “PAIN”!

DO I HEAR AGONY?”…”AGONY!”

It is days like today that send the left to the shrinks in drove!

Just the thought of them gnarling their face, gnashing their teeth, the digestive system completely screwed up, with so much anger in their system that their hearts are racing at 1600 beats per minute, ……

is just too much for my joy center in my brain. I am high, really high now. Try it, you’d like it! Take a look at allah’s picture on hillary..yep..tht is the look!

Today I want to hug a liberal!

easy87us on June 8, 2006 at 6:24 PM

Looks like being pro-active against terrorism is really not a good thing unless your poll numbers are high
I’m sure if President Kerry or Clinton did this, they’d preach it to the ends of the earth that this was a brilliant strike. But because its Bush, it can’t be good. we can’t be happy with killing terorrists.

If this is their reaction to Zarqawi, what happens if we capture Bin Laden or Mullah omar?

Defector01 on June 8, 2006 at 6:30 PM

So I was just wondering what exactly Bin Hidin’ is doin’ about now. Sitting in his empty cave, a radio, a blank picture on wall- cant have muhammed (pissbeuponhim) image ya know- and strangely enough, everyone else has left. He looks around and there is not a person within miles of him. Even the asses/ donkeys have fled. Where did everyone go? he wonders..
Seems as if all the islamafascist terrorist commanders are solo this evening.
.. A grasshopper flies off, he sh*ts his pants as he hears the whoosh.
This bombing of Zarcoward has many benefits.

shooter on June 8, 2006 at 6:31 PM

easy87us,

This morning I sent one to the shrink for us. Just arrived at work she said “hi, how are U?”.
“Great, it’s a great day, they killed Zarqawi”.
She hadn’t heard the news and answered “I don’t know if this is good or not”.
“It’s good for us and you need to see a shrink”.
I’m usually more polite at work but she took me over the top. No regrets!

Entelechy on June 8, 2006 at 6:32 PM

I wish the bombs had black boxes of some kind so we could witness the final moments of these guys when they realize that KABOOM is for them!

labwrs on June 8, 2006 at 7:11 PM

My most sincere and deepest apologies: Stark is from California…actually I’ve renamed it the Uber Left Coast that is California.

He may not be in my district but unfortunately,(sigh), I have to own him.

Believe it or not, I truly believe that over 45% of Californians are actually red, but we don’t want our cars trashed, houses egged, so we stay quite. I spend a great deal of my time straightening out the kids on the ugly stuff they bring home from “school”.

sharinlite on June 8, 2006 at 7:13 PM

EXACTLY sharinlite!!!

I fled the 13th district 10 years ago. It’s part of the Bayarea (please pronounce like gonorrhea or diarrhea, I’m trying to get this to go mainstream).

Fremont, part of the 13th district, has the largest population of Afghanis outside of Afghanistan, and a ton of illegals living 20 to 30 to a house, that’s who’s voting people like Stark in, oh, plus the limosine liberals who feel guilty about the silicon valley money they made during the Klinton years.

I agree there are a ton of red people in Kali, and we’re all afraid someday the barbed wire fences will go up around the state…to KEEP US IN.

At least we voted down those commie tax increases.

NTWR on June 8, 2006 at 7:34 PM

sharinlite,

Apparently 1 in 5 Californians are independents. If one adds them to your stats, that is far less ‘fruits and nuts’. However, we do have two major deep blue areas and indeed we have to own them.

There are still many pluses here. In general, while living here, one doesn’t feel as whacky as the rest of the country portrays California to be.

Entelechy on June 8, 2006 at 7:36 PM

I’m gonna pull a ‘Dixie Chicks’ here and proclaim that I’m ashamed that Pete Stark lives in my state. What a freaking moron.

speed647 on June 8, 2006 at 7:40 PM

Remember how the Democrats have positioned themselvs. If it’s good for America, Freedom, or Democracy, it’s bad for the Democratic Party.

Snake307 on June 8, 2006 at 7:41 PM

Well there will be one big wedding party in HELL now that Zarqawi is dead.

birdman on June 8, 2006 at 7:50 PM

Would anyone give a damn if Mexico took over California. Not me, I say let Mexico have a the nuts and fruits.

Wade on June 8, 2006 at 8:53 PM

Speed647
As a californian I’d second that

Wade
Yes I would because Orange and San Diego and San Bernadino counties are quite normal thank you very much!

Defector01 on June 8, 2006 at 8:59 PM

birdman, are you aware that because the Z is a recruit, it’s his turn in the barrel? No wedding for him just yet.

Mike H. on June 8, 2006 at 9:44 PM

What a relief it is to find out that Zarqawi was NOT killed instantly and was alive briefly as he realized that the Americans had him in custody. That was reported by a general in Iraq on Fox and Friends a few minutes ago. Instant death was too good for the Zarqmeister.

pistolero on June 9, 2006 at 8:34 AM

As satisfying as Zarqawi’s demise may be, the intel gathered in this and the other 17 raids might just prove to be more significant. Regardless, 6/7/06 was a very very good day.

dman on June 9, 2006 at 11:50 AM

Rep Pete Stark’s questioning in regards to “Timing” should be limited to; what Time of day does he want to pray 5 times to a Satainc God, should America fail to destroy Islamic Fundementalist.

Get with the Program Liberals… Democracy and Freedom for everyone (not just the masogonist males who beat and kill people for breathing 100 feet from their UN-”holy Book”) is a good thing. Closing your eyes and cruising bathouses isn’t going to defend America.

havok on June 9, 2006 at 2:06 PM