Video: Zarqawi airstrike

posted at 11:11 am on June 8, 2006 by Allahpundit

*The remix is here.*

CENTCOM‘s server is overwhelmed but I managed to swipe this before it went down. How sweet it is.

Amazing that there was anything left of him, really. Update: WaPo has video of Gen. Caldwell commenting on the airstrike.

Update: Matt Lauer keeps his mind on Haditha and Haditha on his mind. But Air America knows what’s really important.

Update: Can anyone point me to video of Iraqis celebrating? I’ve seen a bunch of scattered clips on Fox and CNN but nothing of any length. Update: Ain’t nothing gonna spoil ABC’s fun, chump. Update: Nothing’s going to bring Newsweek down, either:

Conceivably, the effect will be to weaken the insurgency as a whole. But it’s also possible that the homegrown Iraqi rebels, now free of Zarqawi’s evil image, may actually grow in political power and military strength. Following the classic pattern established by many other guerrilla groups in history, they may work through “peaceful” front organizations that actually take part in the Parliament, while also continuing to attack in the field. “Fight and talk” is often a successful strategy for guerrillas looking to assure their people’s rights. Zarqawi made talking almost impossible.

There’s literally nothing the United States could do — short of total withdrawal — that would be received by the pundit class as an unambiguous good. Mind you, these are the same people who carp endlessly about the fact that we haven’t caught Bin Laden.

Update: As I was just saying:

The killing of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi removes the man who took Iraq’s insurgency to new heights of savagery but it also creates a martyr whose inspiration will mobilize new recruits.

Arab and Western security analysts were agreed on Thursday that Zarqawi’s death in a U.S. air raid would not end the insurgency, even if it represents a rare triumph in Iraq for the Bush administration.

Geraghty reports more tears in heaven.

Update: I think AmSpec has it exactly right. Update: As does Time.

Update: On this one issue, at least, McCain is gloriously free of “nuance.”

Update: Do you guys want me to add audio to it? Leave your suggestions for music in the comments. I was thinking “Sabotage.”

Update: The Times has a timeline of how word spread throughout the White House. Stranger than fiction:

“What you really need to do,” Representative Ray LaHood of Illinois told the president, “is go get Zarqawi,” according to an account by the White House press secretary, Tony Snow, who was at the meeting.

“I said ‘Yeah, we’ll just order that up right now,’ ” Mr. Snow recalled in an interview this morning.

Minutes after that exchange, at 3:45 p.m., the national security adviser, Stephen J. Hadley, left the room in response to a Blackberry message to call the American ambassador to Iraq in Baghdad, Zalmay Khalilzad.

“We think we have Zarqawi,” Mr. Khalilzad told him.

Update: Reuters quotes Gen. Caldwell with background on the intelligence:

He said a breakthrough came while U.S. forces were trailing Zarqawi’s spiritual adviser, Sheikh Abdul-Rahman.

“This gentleman was key to our success in finding Zarqawi. He was a top lieutenant of his and was identified several weeks ago by military sources and sources inside Zarqawi’s network,” Caldwell said.

“Through painstaking intelligence efforts we were able to start tracking him, monitoring his movements … Last night, he went to meet (Zarqawi) again at 6.15 pm (1415 GMT) when the decision was made to go ahead and strike that target,” he added.

Update: How sweet it is, take two:

[A] few hours ago, while an Al Jazeera journalist was interviewing Abu Kadama, Zarqawi’s brother in law in Zarqa, Jordan, the broadcast was suddenly interrupted. Most probably by Jordan. Because when the journalist came back on the air, he said that Abu Kadama had just been arrested by Jordanian services. Then a second sudden interruption occured and when the Al Jazeera anchor appeared, he announced that his journalist colleague had also been arrested by Jordan.

Update: Look who’s running for Congress.

Update: Is Berg sure he’s too far left for the Democrats? Kerry and Murtha are saying, “Now’s our chance to run!”

Update: Believe it or not, but the AP actually sounds upbeat. Sort of.

Comments

I am SOOOO putting this on my personal myspace page.

JVelez on June 8, 2006 at 11:13 AM

This is great. Part of me likes it. ALL of me likes it.

They should behead his corpse and put it on a pike on the front lawn of the White House, with a sign reading “One Down.”

clyde on June 8, 2006 at 11:16 AM

Oh to have been one of those Mk-82′s…

BirdEye on June 8, 2006 at 11:23 AM

I used to sing this song every morning when I was in the loving embrace of Lackland Air Force Base. One more time–

Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At ‘em boys, Give ‘er the gun! (Give ‘er the gun now!)
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,
Off with one helluva roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey!
Nothing’ll stop the U.S. Air Force!

Bryan on June 8, 2006 at 11:27 AM

Allah, is there a way we can remix this and have P.O.D’s “boom” as background music? That would be flippin sweet!!

JVelez on June 8, 2006 at 11:28 AM

The bastard never knew what hit him. Pity about that. I’d prefer a slower, agonizing, humiliating death. Not that I’m complaining, mind you. Zarqawi, RIH. (rot in hell)

pistolero on June 8, 2006 at 11:28 AM

Shaka lakka lakka BOOM!

Man, that’s got a great beat!

Pablo on June 8, 2006 at 11:31 AM

I can honestly picture God just sitting on His judgement seat telling Zarqawi “Oh I gotta hear this!”

JVelez on June 8, 2006 at 11:32 AM

Pity about that. I’d prefer a slower, agonizing, humiliating death.

He died in our custody. That’s sweet enough right there. If he’d lived any longer, there’d be screaming for a trial, and about his rights, blah, blah, blah. Instead, he died knowing we had him.

I like it! :-)

Pablo on June 8, 2006 at 11:35 AM

America, f*** yeah!!!

Greg Tinti on June 8, 2006 at 11:37 AM

That’s even a better background song to put!!!

JVelez on June 8, 2006 at 11:39 AM

Darn, I was going to take bets on which faction of the MSM was going to claim this was a “moral victory” for the terrorists first.

Tooooo late. It sure doesn’t take long for the MSM to try and discredit any accomplishment by the USA or Iraq.

Typical.

NTWR on June 8, 2006 at 11:52 AM

AllahPundit
I don’t know about you but Bombs over Baghdad, though kinda obvious, would be nice to hear as Zarqawi goes to see Satan. Its used all the time but come one, it fits it to a T.

Defector01 on June 8, 2006 at 11:57 AM

Mission Accomplished!

Labamigo on June 8, 2006 at 12:05 PM

Allah, I’ve got to say that I’m mighty disappointed that you missed the obvious audio to accompany this bit of video footage.

Raindrops keep fallin’ on my head
And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed,
Nothin’ seems to fit
Those raindrops are fallin’ on my head, they keep fallin’

So, I just did me some talkin’ to the sun
And I said I didn’t like the way he got things done,
Sleepin’ on the job
Those raindrops are fallin’ on my head, they keep fallin’

But there’s one thing I know
The blues they send to meet me won’t defeat me
It won’t be long ’til happiness steps up to greet me

Raindrops keep fallin’ on my head
But that doesn’t mean my eyes will soon be turnin’ red
Cryin’s not for me
‘Cause I’m never gonna stop the rain by complainin’
Because I’m free
Nothin’s worryin’ me…

Bob Owens on June 8, 2006 at 12:07 PM

I love this sh&t, really love it.
As far as how much was left of him, read between the lines. I dont think his head and most of his body were in the same vicinity. Fingerprints and scars on his body PLUS ID of his face revealed it was the bastard….ZarCoward.
…Now its the religion of PIECE(s).

shooter on June 8, 2006 at 12:09 PM

How long before Muthra claims we are ‘war criminals’ for bombing him without ‘due prior notice’?

CrazyFool on June 8, 2006 at 12:13 PM

Today, life is good.

tormod on June 8, 2006 at 12:16 PM

I vote for Let the Bodies Hit the Floor

Kadnine on June 8, 2006 at 12:16 PM

Bury the bastard with a couple of roadkilled dogs and 100 lbs of pork chops.

inmanjh on June 8, 2006 at 12:21 PM

I vote for The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash.

Slublog on June 8, 2006 at 12:27 PM

In terms of music:
The Team America theme would rock but they curse too much for me.
Bombs over Baghdad is cool. I’m still leaning towards P.O.D and everytime they yell Boom, you keep replaying the explosion.

Whatever works for you Allah, just as long as it aint “tears in heaven” Leave that for NBC.

JVelez on June 8, 2006 at 12:29 PM

I just played it with the Team America theme, and it works quite well. Maybe two versions – a clean and a NSFW version…

Slublog on June 8, 2006 at 12:35 PM

A very bad day for the libs. I understand over at the Daily Kos, and Democrat Underground they are really upset. I cannot imagine where we would be if Al Gore or John Kerry were Prez. Well there is one ray of sunshine for the libs today, the stock market at this posting is down over a hundred.

birdman on June 8, 2006 at 12:44 PM

May all of Zarqawi’s virgins look like Yasser Arafat.

chsw

chsw on June 8, 2006 at 12:48 PM

Hamas is all teary-eyed as well:

“With hearts full of faith, Hamas commends brother-fighter Abu Musab … who was martyred at the hands of the savage crusade campaign which targets the Arab homeland, starting in Iraq,” the statement said.

rw on June 8, 2006 at 12:49 PM

Submitted with apologies to Loudon Wainwright III

Luring in his safehouse late one night
He shoulda looked left and he shoulda looked right
He didn’t see the F-16s
The punk got blown to smithereens!

You got yer
Dead punk in the middle of the Iraq
Dead punk in the middle of the Iraq
You got yer dead punk in the middle of Iraq
Stinkin’ to high Heaven!

Take a whiff on me, that ain’t no rose!
Roll up yer window and hold yer nose
You don’t have to look and you don’t have to see
‘Cause you can feel it in your olfactory

You got yer
Dead punk in the middle of Iraq
Dead punk in the middle of Iraq
You got yer punk in the middle of Iraq
Stinkin’ to high Heaven!

Yeah you got yer dead cat and you got yer dead dog
On a Baghdad night you got yer dead toad frog
Got yer dead bomber and yer dead raccoon
The blood and the guts they’re gonna make you swoon!
You got yer
Dead punk in the middle of Iraq
Dead punk in the middle of Iraq
You got yer dead punk in the middle of Iraq
Stinkin’ to high Heaven!

C’mon Allah!

You got it!
It’s dead, got holes in it’s head
Dead punk in the middle!
Dead punk in the middle of the road
Stinkin’ to high heaven!
All over the road, al-Qaeda man!
Oh, you got jihad
It’s dead, it’s in the middle
And it’s stinkin’ to high, high Heaven

Pablo on June 8, 2006 at 12:50 PM

I love it! Not only is the bastard dead…but he is watching in hell as our greatest fear today is coming up with the wrong theme music to his death video!

Let the bodies hit the floor…and the ceiling…and what’s left of the west wall…and part of that orchard over there…

BirdEye on June 8, 2006 at 12:51 PM

Pablo,

Freakin awesome!!

JVelez on June 8, 2006 at 12:58 PM

This is excellent! I am very, very pleased. This is certainly a major victory for peace-loving people, and a major defeat for Islamist terrorists.

Muslihoon on June 8, 2006 at 12:59 PM

How many Americans will go into mourning for the passing of this murdering bastid? Someone should do a poll.

I’ll be throwing a party while liberals cringe in their fearmongering. WOOHOOIEEE!!!!!!!

Gotta Love Our Armed Forces! Way to go!!!

DannoJyd on June 8, 2006 at 1:02 PM

Sabotage is nice, but how about “Move”, by Ludacris?

Kid from Brooklyn on June 8, 2006 at 1:02 PM

I think Leeloo in the 5th element said it best

Big-Bada-bOom!

Defector01 on June 8, 2006 at 1:03 PM

Does the fact that we found Zarqawi by following Sheikh Abdul-Rahman mean that they both got blown up? That would be a big deal to get a two-fer.

Clark1 on June 8, 2006 at 1:07 PM

From your Newsweek quote: ““Fight and talk” is often a successful strategy for guerrillas looking to assure their people’s rights.”

Does Newsweek think Zarqawi and other insurgents are fighting for rights??????? What, the right to use a carbomb on women and children in a market?

Clark1 on June 8, 2006 at 1:08 PM

FR keyword link if you’d like to peruse a pile of threads on zarqawi and his sudden demise.http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/keyword?k=zarqawikilled

normsrevenge on June 8, 2006 at 1:55 PM

Intro to G&R’s “Paradise City”

Take me down
To the paradise city
Where the grass is green
And the girls are pretty
Oh won’t you please take me home

or the chorus to “Afternoon Delight”

Sky rockets in flight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight

The Ugly American on June 8, 2006 at 1:56 PM

What about
“WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE”

NTWR on June 8, 2006 at 2:06 PM

I find it a little amusing that the Iraqis actually put the picture of dead Zarqawi in a gold frame. Who gets to hang it in their office first?

skwired on June 8, 2006 at 2:14 PM

skwired: I was thinking the same thing. Very amusing that az-Zarqawi’s death photo would be in such an elaborate frame.

It should be given as a reward or something.

Muslihoon on June 8, 2006 at 2:19 PM

No, no, no!!

The ABSOLUTE PERFECT song for this is Jame’s Addiction’s “True Nature”.

Janes = Military Hardware
True Nature of Zarkawi = Death

Perfect Fit!

VonHelton on June 8, 2006 at 2:21 PM

My personal favorite thus far is Afternoon Delight. “Skyrockets in flight…”

BirdEye on June 8, 2006 at 2:33 PM

How about Trouble No More by the Allman Brothers?

Patrap on June 8, 2006 at 2:37 PM

Too bad they didn’t use napalm to get him used to where he’s going. We wouldn’t have been able to confirm it so quickly, but it sure would’ve been more satisfying. Killing all those aides is great, too; not many left to fill in that way.

Anybody care to put together a ‘Help Wanted’ ad for replacements for the whole gang? “Exciting opportunities in a fast-paced, no-holds-barred environment….” fill in the rest.

Mike O on June 8, 2006 at 2:39 PM

Damn, I looked the most obvious… “shortest Straw” by Metallica.

Kid from Brooklyn on June 8, 2006 at 2:53 PM

Ooo, that must of smarted… or maybe not. Farewell Zarkman, only negative is that your demise has robbed Iowahawk out of some good subject matter. Rest in Hell!!

docdave on June 8, 2006 at 3:59 PM

Even better we got Zarqawi’s local from captured terror suspects!

Looks like our interrogations ARE effective after all, despite what the leftists are saying of how “useless” they are.

Warner Todd Huston on June 8, 2006 at 4:01 PM

lets buy these guys a beer!

mike hale on June 8, 2006 at 4:16 PM

EWverybody loves a Winner

Leftist Pacificism cannot be shown in that part of the world, it is interpeted as weakness and treated with disdain. Pacifists like Nick Berg weren’t considered worth allowing to live by the jihadi violent action mindset.

This is exactly the victorious west and humiliating bloody Islamo-fascist defeat that must be shown to those that aspire to violent jihad. Faluja in rubble. Saddam swinging with wet pants (soon). Zarqawi with holes in his face.

These images will get played repeatedly by al jazeera and it will be that much harder to recruit the next Mohammed Atta. Winning militarily was quick and easy, this is how to convince the hearts and minds in the Arab street that terror may not be worth it.

As Iraqis accept their new government as legitimate self determination and remain peaceful, they will flourish while their neighbors will destabilize. 2 countries down, 2 to go. Can’t lose faith despite the constant harping by the left, not while we’re winning.

Reality Check on June 8, 2006 at 4:17 PM

Buh bye!

How’s it goin’ with your 72 virgins? Or did thing not quite turn out that way, chump?

Professor Blather on June 8, 2006 at 7:35 PM

Good riddance!

How in the hell can they drop that much ordnance on 1 building and have that much intact body left over? You would think there would be nothing left but a splatter…

rightside on June 9, 2006 at 1:49 AM