More good news: Senate kills the Akaka bill

posted at 2:38 pm on June 8, 2006 by Allahpundit

Man, when it rains, it pours.

Comments

I’m so happy that I might go hug a liberal.

Physics Geek on June 8, 2006 at 2:41 PM

Thank God this bill didn’t pass. And I mean that litteraly. Thank God.

I only heard about this bill a few days ago. To me, it was as unexpected as stealth bomber attack. But fortunately, it didn’t pass.

EFG on June 8, 2006 at 2:45 PM

The shocking thing is that 56 Senators and the House feel that it is OK to turn over a State to a race. Endless litigation,race based education, neighborhoods, and ulitmately civil war would follow. Are we crazy?

pat on June 8, 2006 at 2:46 PM

It was surprising how many bumper stickers I saw in Kauai last year that said: “I am NOT an American” followed by “Hawaiian Pride” or something like that.
Similar to the Aztlan issue…
But they have quite a few on the government dole taking welfare help from the US, methinks, and I’m not sure how many of the Hawaiian warriors are left to help defend them from, well, anyone who might want to take over.

A foolish racist stunt that would have ended in disaster for Hawaii if it had passed.

This is turning out to be a great day.

NTWR on June 8, 2006 at 2:49 PM

But, 56 traitors voted for it.

We better get rid of some of the RINOs by 2010!

It has become the top priority in 2010 to nominate conservative Republicans to replace RINOs!

easy87us on June 8, 2006 at 2:52 PM

Please understand that that this monstrosity can be brought up again.

pat on June 8, 2006 at 2:58 PM

Funny thing is, this would have done for Hawaiians what our policies have already done for the Indians: set them up in their own little “sovereign nations” while feeding them from the American government’s trough. A government, by the way, they didn’t want to be any part of other than the financial part. What a surprise. I say if they want to secede, let them, but send no money. Ever. Of course, they’d have to buy their own navy and air force (one plane, two boats at least) and a few other things such as infrastructure, but what’s a few inconveniences to idiots?

clyde on June 8, 2006 at 3:01 PM

NTWR

Actually, while Hawaiians suffer more than their fair share of health problems, they are not on welfare more than any other race. In fact I would quess that caucasians from the mainland make up a far larger share of welfare dependents.

pat on June 8, 2006 at 3:02 PM

They really don’t consider themselves as Americans!
They are Hawaiians.
Different place than the continental US.
We bought it for Military purpose and now use it for that and Tourism.

Kramer on June 8, 2006 at 3:03 PM

Kramer
Are they Hawaiian Americans? Has that changed and if so, can I blame a liberal for it?

Defector01 on June 8, 2006 at 3:06 PM

This is TERRIBLE!

Now we may never see government payments and apologies to 19th generation descendants of slaves, payments and apologies to 19th generation descendants of Japanese interned during World War II, payments and apologies to 19th generation descendants of Cochise or Geronimo, or cash payments and apologies to Iraqis killed in Iraq.

WHOOPS! We already have that last one.

This onerous bill was putrid from the beginning and stank even more than turncoat John McCain’s illegal alien amnesty bill!

Let’s hope it remains dead.

ForYourEdification on June 8, 2006 at 3:13 PM

I thought if you were from the mainland, you had to show proof of employment to go to Hawaii, so as to not just use it as a permanent welfare line with nice beaches and grass skirts.

clyde on June 8, 2006 at 3:21 PM

“Tiny bubbles
in the wine
makes me feel happy
makes me feel fine”

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on June 8, 2006 at 3:21 PM

Pat,
Of course whities from the mainland make up more welfare recipients. There are an awful lot more people on the mainland.
However, after doing a per-capita welfare search, it appears you are correct.

During 1998, $48,590,257, or $40.73 per capita, was spent on the public child welfare system, including federal, state, and local resources. Nationwide, $57.75 per capita was spent.

On the census bureau website there is a map that shows about the same $ sent to Hawaii for gov’t assistance as Kalifornia. I think (hope) that is per-capita also, but I’m not sure.
In any case, I think I was wrong. My bad. Sorry.
I still think it would be financially foolish to try and secede, and it would be military suicide.

NTWR on June 8, 2006 at 3:27 PM

Defector01
When in DOUBT, blame a liberal.

Kramer on June 8, 2006 at 3:33 PM

This is GREAT news. This racist bill was garbage.

Warner Todd Huston on June 8, 2006 at 3:54 PM

“Tiny bubbles
in the wine
makes me feel happy
makes me feel fine”

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on June 8, 2006 at 3:21 PM
———–
“Drinkin’ my wine makes me feel fine, gonna have me a Holiday!”

- Nazareth

VonHelton on June 8, 2006 at 4:30 PM

I live in Hawaii, and I really don’t have a dog in this fight. While Akaka believes this will give Hawaiians self rule, I worry about how much it will really benefit Hawaiians. Given what other similar recognition status has not helped Native American Indians.

From my observations, Hawaiians differ on the subject extremely. There are the groups that want complete seperation from the United States, and there are those that feel it would be an insult to their ancestors that fought in the last world war. Meaning, they are proud to be American! The Rebublican Governor, Linda Lingle, is for the Akaka bill and is in Washington lobbying for it.

More on the bill here http://akaka.senate.gov/akakabill-b.html

A google of Akaka reveals pros and cons to his bill. Like I said, I don’t have a dog in this fight. But, many of the Hawaiians cannot agree on this either way. It’s interesting to note that Hawaii is the only state with an official second language. Either way, Hawaiians are one of the most friendliest and genuine people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. And I came from New Jersey where where attitudes are a complete 180 difference.

A me aloha pumehana!

Kini on June 8, 2006 at 4:43 PM

Thank Christ.

Mark V. on June 8, 2006 at 4:45 PM

The south probably had more grounds to secede than did the Hawaiians and you know what happened to that. As liberal as Hawaiians are, we don’t need another leftist nation at our doorstep.

docdave on June 8, 2006 at 4:52 PM

Step 1: Grant sovereignty to Hawaiians.

Step 2: Open the Hawaiian Casino.

pjcomix on June 8, 2006 at 8:50 PM

We must build a bridge to Hawaii from the mainland.
We can use the illegals for construction.
Pay them fairly: 2 bits a day