Video: Coulter vs. Lauer

posted at 7:23 pm on June 6, 2006 by Allahpundit

I wish I could give you the whole thing but copyright is a stern mistress. Fortunately, Ian operates above the law so he’ll probably have the whole segment later.

Here are two snippets. The first has to do with Bush’s approval ratings vis-a-vis Iraq and tells you everything you need to know about Matt Lauer’s grasp of the situation. The second has to do with the anti-war 9/11 widows, whom, Coulter says, are being used as political pawns as part of the left’s “doctrine of infallibility.” Enjoy.

Update: Rick Moran, Coulter fan: “a shallow, bitter, bitch of a woman whose hate filled mouthings will eventually lead to her destruction.”

Update: James Joyner isn’t a fan either:

Coulter is a great talent but her schtick has gotten old and she seems to think she has to continue to say outrageous things to get attention. Someone with her skills doesn’t need to resort to such tactics but, alas, they are quite lucrative in the opinion game. One can look down the list of the most highly trafficked political blogs and find few non-inflammatory sites among them.

Comments

Sic ’em Annie!!!

dman on June 6, 2006 at 7:27 PM

You go Girl!

WC on June 6, 2006 at 7:30 PM

Testy Matt…he is filling right in katies knotted panties. Ann ate his lunch…

Wade on June 6, 2006 at 7:34 PM

First of all…Matt Lauer has no grasp of any situation…Annie pulled his drawers up over his head on that first one and then she gave him the ever so humble WEDGIE as a parting shot. Ann Coulter rocks. I wish I had her quick wit…thank God she is on our side.

Sandys Beach on June 6, 2006 at 7:35 PM

Fantastic! She’ll be on Hannity tomorrow. If she comes to the Mall of America for a book signing or anything, I’m there.

ZRyan on June 6, 2006 at 7:36 PM

I love how a pretty, smart blonde can cause complete outrage and frantic name-calling by the left. Most of the liberal blog comments are scathing names and speculation about her being “insane”, “on meth or crack” and much worse.

There are plenty more like Ann on our side-Michelle being one of them. Are all of these successful, smart, pretty, CONSERVATIVE women on crack or insane?
Liberals think they must be, how else don’t they hate themselves and want to be liberals? They must feel so guiiilllty for all the things they haaaavvveee. (sarc)

NTWR on June 6, 2006 at 7:41 PM

Too bad the Drudge Report referred to Crooks and Liars blogsite (never mind it’s not even a news site or would that even matter?) wah wahing over the whole Coulter thing with Matt Lauer. Guess he didn’t get it either.

Kokonut on June 6, 2006 at 7:57 PM

ZRyan, Coulter will be on the Hannity and Colmes show tonight so she can promote her next new book. More wah wahing from the left.

Kokonut on June 6, 2006 at 7:58 PM

Go get ’em Ann!

Lauer should stick to debating mental midgets like Tom Cruise.

speed647 on June 6, 2006 at 7:58 PM

That’s where I saw all the crud, Kokonut. The best part is how the blog was taken over (at the bottom) by a bunch of -“evil fascist neocons” and the liberals weren’t coming back with much.

NTWR on June 6, 2006 at 7:59 PM

“Suicide blonde”

Pure Genius.

The Ugly American on June 6, 2006 at 8:00 PM

Suicide blonde? Wouldn’t that be Katie Couric?

Kokonut on June 6, 2006 at 8:03 PM

ok i think we have our team in 08

michelle for prez and ann for vp!
what a team!

mike hale on June 6, 2006 at 8:11 PM

Just watched the whole segment over at Crooks ‘n Liars.

Now I’ve never really been a *huge* fan of Ann’s but I gotta say that this interview was pure gold. I nearly bust a gut when she inquired at the end “Hey…where’s Katie?”

The woman is simply fearless.

The Ugly American on June 6, 2006 at 8:19 PM

Excellent. She’s always entertaining, but today her timing was superb.

LB - the one that isn't LaShawn Barber on June 6, 2006 at 8:39 PM

Lauer always seems like such a middle-school twit when he talks to her.

“But I’m talking about the war in Iraq, not the war on terror”.

Doh! Way to go in proving Ann’s point about the Democrats being incapable of fighting the Jihadis.

venmax on June 6, 2006 at 8:48 PM

You can watch the interview in its entirety from the Today Show website. Very enjoyable. Matt was arrogant just as David Letterman was when he had Bill O’Reily on his show regarding moonbat Sheehan. People are the lowest of the low when they use the death of a loved one to promote a political cause. I think Rick Moran is full of it when he falls for the “doctrine of infallibility.” Ann’s point was right on and Matt’s reaction proved exactly that.

wytammic on June 6, 2006 at 8:52 PM

I would love to see Ann Coulter debate Madeleine Albright, are there any Videos of that? lol

Ann Coulter’s point on using Family members to support a one sided view is right on.

Brah on June 6, 2006 at 9:08 PM

What’s that claymation fight show called? Hasn’t there been an Ann Coulter “fight”?? Her barbs alone should defeat anybody who dares step into her ring.

Kokonut on June 6, 2006 at 9:12 PM

Kokonut on June 6, 2006 at 9:12 PM

———————-
You’re thinking of MTV’s Celebrity Death Match..

Brah on June 6, 2006 at 9:46 PM

I guess I missed something. I didnt see AC win anything on this clip.

Labamigo on June 6, 2006 at 11:04 PM

Lauer is an arrogant, pseudo-intellectual dolt. I expected him to jump up and down, slobber on himself and cry. If he leans any further to the left the knuckles on his left hand will drag the ground.

rplat on June 6, 2006 at 11:21 PM

ROFL!

Just watched the whole thing on the today show site. Coulter at her best. The quip about Couric at the end was priceless.

venmax on June 6, 2006 at 11:28 PM

Matt Laurer got snippy and offended greatly allowing Anne to reinforce her points about the 9/11 millionaires wwho really are enjoying their husbands deaths.

Ouch – go Anne go

EricPWJohnson on June 7, 2006 at 12:15 AM

I have to say Ann Coulter displays her skill in argument with logics that is beyond her age.

I saw her tonight in Hannity and Colm. Ann Coulter is awesome.

Having said that, the liberals should stop getting personal. Attacking her personality is not a good way to build an argument.

easy87us on June 7, 2006 at 12:15 AM

Anyone who hasn’t read her “Treason” should read it, VERY informative. I’ve got her latest on order but the dang thing is backordered.

Duty, Honor, Country
(in THAT order)
Rowane

Rowane on June 7, 2006 at 12:31 AM

BTW LOVED her parting shot about “Where’s Katie”

Rowane on June 7, 2006 at 12:35 AM

I bought “Godless” by the “Goddess”.

doingwhatican on June 7, 2006 at 4:03 AM

First class flight to promote your new book, $1200.00
New dress for your interview, $450.00
Kicking Matt Lauer’s ass on the Today Show, priceless!

For a doctrine of infalibility, there’s Liberalism. For truth, there’s Conservatism.

Right Wing Nut House and The Political Pit Bull have been taken in by the moonbats, at least on this issue.

I don’t know if Ann Coulter is the perfect Conservative woman, but she’s dayum close. She’s probably the only woman I’d actually listen to everything she said.

Ann Coulter ’08

RolandHall on June 7, 2006 at 4:51 AM

Ann Coulter was ripped this morning by Michael Smerchonish – who said her statements, “sickened him”. He compared her to a lady he saw in an airport wearing a “Buck Fush” t-shirt.

Smerconish repeatedly bashed Coulter over and over during the peak drive time to make any liberal listeners happy.

Yet Smerconish excuses MURTHA for his irresponsible and damaging statements about our Marines by saying that Murtha was “sincere” when they talked while riding together to an event in Philly recently.

Smerconish acts like liberals and republicans are EQUAL in their vitrolic hatespeech and he uses Coulter as his primary example.

The Republicans don’t have a Murtha, a Jimmy Carter, Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Belfonte, Jesse Jackson, Ted Kennedy, Al Gore, John Kerry, Michael Moore, I could go on….

Smerconish claims he “always votes republicans” – he shouldn’t hide behind that and then attack Coulter so fiercely and repeatedly.

Ann Coulter, like Michelle Malkin – is a truth teller and the left can’t take the truth.

Smerconish is cheap and misguided to attack her and give Murtha the benefit of the doubt. He does it for ratings.. he’s smarter than that. He insults all of us.

Richard Davis on June 7, 2006 at 8:32 AM

– Her basic argument that liberals are godless is so profound that it took me a while to accept her position. To make it short I have to really go through the basics of all major religions to see what she is talking about. –

This is dead on. Liberals don’t believe in God, they only believe in science and/or the scientific method.

What’s more this is most specifically why human freedom has become so unimportant to them. There’s nothing sacred or divine about human life since there is “No God”. We’re just random biological matter floating around the universe. Human freedom is neither here nor there – it’s just something seen as “Irrelevant”.

If we could be “Free” and achieve the best result that would be fine with them. On the flip side of that coin however Liberals would trade human freedom in a heartbeat if they could be guaranteed some communist utopia where everyone had Health Insurance and the same level of income and education.

The cause of human freedom is the primary reason I became a Christian. Human freedom can’t be recognized, celebrated, or defended without first acknowledging that human life is something sacred.

Liberals truly are “Godless”.

venmax on June 7, 2006 at 8:38 AM

What is with trying to establish the invasion of Iraq as being a seperate military action from the war against terrorism? I have read it, but have never heard someone actually say the words. Did anyone ever try to seperate the war against Japan and Nazi Germany?

Ms. Coulter’s reply of it not being like we invaded Guatemala was perfect. The “Duh” preceding her reply was well played.

Thank you for that clip.

Hening on June 7, 2006 at 9:25 AM

The sad part? Matt doesn’t even know he had his clock cleaned.

MCPO Airdale on June 7, 2006 at 9:53 AM

Invasion of Iraq does NOT equal terrorism? Matt…what the hell are you smoking these days. I just viewed the entire
segment…I don’t think he got it, really. Liberalism is a condition for which there is no cure yet and it will take a generation to weed it out…perhaps our great grandchildren will not have to bear the burden of these “free thinkers” (or is it freak thinkers?)

Sandys Beach on June 7, 2006 at 9:58 AM

Smerconish is becoming like Scarborough, he’s angling for an MSNBC gig.

As far as Anns remarks on the Jersey Girls, she’s right on. The media turned them into leftist idols in the mold of Michael Moore. And then demonized anyone who dare challenge them and their kook fringe conspiracy theories that “Bush knew”.

roninacreage on June 7, 2006 at 10:14 AM

roninacrage – you’re right, Smerconish is a self-promoting, ratings grabbing, money-hungry, egomaniac boob and as easy to see through as the morning fog….

Richard Davis on June 7, 2006 at 10:32 AM

“Update: Captain Ed says he’s heard this shtick about terror widows before. Why is it okay coming from Coulter but not from Ted Rall?”

Why? Because Ann is right. And if Ted Rall said the exact same thing, then perhaps for once he was actually right too (shocking, I know, but hey fair is fair).

If you made a ton of money off the 9/11 attacks and then turn around and attack Bush — you know, the guy who’s actually trying to PREVENT more tragedies like that, unless the majority of his opposition — then I have ZERO sympathy for you or any sycophantic boot-licking punter who agrees with you. I don’t give a rat dropping who you are or what your political affiliations are, if you lost family to terrorism and can’t get behind the idea of saving other people the pain of losing family members to terrorism then you are a useless slimeball and deserve to be denigrated at the top of everybody’s lungs.

And here I thought the Captain was an intelligent man. Lots of respect I used to have for him flushed down the john in fifteen seconds of utter stupidity.

RH

RobertHuntingdon on June 7, 2006 at 10:45 AM

When Ward Churchill said the 9/11 victims deserved it because they were all “little Eichmanns”, the liberal pukes like Lauer et al, rallied around his remarks as a free speech issue and not as a hate filled screed, like they describe Anns remarks. No such thing as hate speech when coming from liberal heroes like Churchill.

roninacreage on June 7, 2006 at 10:59 AM

Matt…Matt…you’re glib.

BirdEye on June 7, 2006 at 11:09 AM

Ann Coulter for President!…. of the world!

Cary on June 7, 2006 at 11:41 AM

“Why is it okay coming from Coulter but not from Ted Rall?”

Exactly.

Jim Treacher on June 7, 2006 at 11:53 AM

God bless her, Ann says what we all think. The Left uses emotions to move the debate, not reason or expertise. The NJ girls were present everywhere giving their testimony but no one stopped and asked, “What makes these women experts? How do they contribute to solving the problem(s)”. It’s strictly handkerchief stuff.
I feel the same way about victim “impact” statements. They have no place in a court of law.

thegreatbeast on June 7, 2006 at 11:55 AM

I’m sure there are hundreds of nice-guy conservative pundits who have made the “doctrine of infallibility” point without raising so many hackles. But those pundits would never succeed in provoking Matt Lauer to lend a hand in subverting the tactic in front of a national audience.

The remaining liberals are brainwashed in much the same way as cult members are brainwashed and the only effective way of deprogramming cult members is to vigorously shake them while yelling truth in their ears.

Perchant on June 7, 2006 at 12:04 PM

“Why is it okay coming from Coulter but not from Ted Rall?”

Geez…talk about apples and oranges.

GT on June 7, 2006 at 12:29 PM

NO! Don’t do that Perchant! That would be hate speech!

BirdEye on June 7, 2006 at 12:30 PM

DOWN GOES LAUER! DOWN GOES LAUER!
A HARD JAB BY THE CONSERVATIVE BLONDE BOMBSHELL SENDS MATT LAUER ONTO THE CANVAS MAINTAINING COULTER’S PERFECT RECORDS IN THE MSM LEAGUE!

Defector01 on June 7, 2006 at 12:44 PM

Watching Ann debate the left-wing kooks is always great fun Lauer, Coombs whoever the libs are totally out of their league. Ann is as sharp as a razor blade, and as fast as an Indy car. I have always been a big fan of hers.

birdman on June 7, 2006 at 1:07 PM

Annie & Michelle! And shame on us guys that the best vlad the impalers around are gurls.

dhimwit on June 7, 2006 at 1:20 PM

Wow. I think the woman is vile. Thought the fellah that interviewed her (Lauer is it?) made her look like she was too. Must have caught a different interview. Don’t think she does us here on the right any favours whatsoever. And intelligent? Don’t know what you see in her people.

THeDRiFTeR on June 7, 2006 at 2:18 PM

The point she’s making is that those women who reveled in the deaths of their husbands are the same ones that whined because they didn’t feel that the money the government was giving them was enough.
Now, I’d like to introduce those whining, self-centered, attention-seeking ‘jersey girls’, to the surviving spouses of the attack on the Arthur Murrah building in Oklahoma City, the widows of the men that died at Pearl Harbor, Iwo Jima, or the shores of Normandy. Were they whining because $2 million wasn’t enough? Oh, yes, I forgot, the US government didn’t pander to the whining types then.

Is that taking advantage and revelling in your spouses death? I say yes.

webproze on June 7, 2006 at 2:32 PM

Until this moment, Ms Coulter, I think I never really gauged your cruelty or your recklessness. Let us not assassinate these women further, Ms Coulter. You have done enough. Have you no sense of decency, Madam? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?

EFG on June 7, 2006 at 3:02 PM

God I love that women! You go Ann!

Morons like lauer are just so easily offended, but hey their girl Mother moonbat can say what ever she wants! What hypocrites!

Bob Mileti on June 7, 2006 at 3:08 PM

Right wing “pundit” called liberals “Godless”.

Alert the media.

honora on June 7, 2006 at 3:52 PM

one point
I do agree with the general point ann’s making but I think hte comments about their husbands wanting to divorce them and that the 9/11 widows better hurry up and pose for playboy. I thought those comments were very inappropriate and did little to improve her argument

Defector01 on June 7, 2006 at 4:13 PM

Wow.

I’ve never been much of a Coulter fan for most of the same reasons other conservatives aren’t – the hyperbolic breathless rhetoric – but she just went up several notches in my opinion after watching that piece.

She comes across much more convincingly in person than in writing – particularly when the writing is shown with no context.

I don’t think there’s any question that stating that the 9/11 widows were “enjoying” their husbands death was a mistake. But the only mistake is in that single word.

Change “enjoying” to “exploiting” and Coulter is entirely correct.

Watching Lauer work so hard to prove her point was pretty funny. Ann is absolutely right: liberals choose spokespeople to advance noxious opinions, and make sure its difficult to condemn the person speaking. The great irony of that piece is that LAUER is himself condemning Coulter for challenging the women – essentially illustrating the very point Coulter’s making – and then he has the stupidity to declare “no one is keeping you from challenging those women!”

Nice, Matt, nice. Go take a course in logic. Ask Tom Cruise. He knows logic. You don’t know logic.

Professor Blather on June 7, 2006 at 4:14 PM

Ann is live on Hannity’s talk show right now; wabcradio.com

birdman on June 7, 2006 at 4:24 PM

Professor Blather,

Not only is Lauer proving her point but all of those conservative bloggers who are condemning her for confronting the widowcrats are proving the point.

Perchant on June 7, 2006 at 4:44 PM

I love that woman.. Thank you for proving her point Matt. Way to go, man. Don’t forget to buy a copy of her book. I just bought 2, one for me and 1 for my liberal friend..

RobertCSampson on June 7, 2006 at 4:45 PM

AC: “…that’s one thing Bush is doing right and that is fighting the war on terror…”

Matt Liar: “I’m talking about the war in Iraq not the war on terrorism…”

AC: “Right, I consider them the same thing, we didn’t invade Guatemala.”

No comment necessary

Malkin-Coulter ’08!!!!

BigOrangeAxe on June 7, 2006 at 4:55 PM

Change “enjoying” to “exploiting” and Coulter is entirely correct.

Exactly.

She does make me wince but in a ha-ha, crazy-kool Bulworth kinda way .

The Ugly American on June 7, 2006 at 5:14 PM

Political Pit Bull has MSNBC interview with Tucker Carlson – GAWD that guy is such a pufta. More outstanding stuff from Coulter as per usual.

venmax on June 7, 2006 at 5:40 PM

The only woman I prefer listening to over Coulter is Malkin.

ecamorg on June 7, 2006 at 6:06 PM

I don’t agree with Moran, because calling a woman a bitch is just so f*ing crass.

violet on June 7, 2006 at 7:43 PM

While I think Ann Coulter is making a very very valid point I worry that the message will get lost in the acid tone. She’s right about the left using unreproachable (or seemingly so) victim spokespeople but will some part of the message be lost in the delivery?

Creed on June 7, 2006 at 9:15 PM

You know in the Bible where Paul is railing against temple prostitutes?

I think Coulter is so far into her transexual temple prostitute role (cocktail dress at 9am?) that she doesn’t know how to get out of it.

_Monk_ on June 7, 2006 at 10:45 PM