Michael Moore: Getting Sued

posted at 11:15 am on May 31, 2006 by Bryan

If you’ve seen Fahrenheit 9-11, you may remember Peter Damon. He’s the soldier whose pain Moore used to make a point about supporting wounded veterans. Damon was interviewed by NBC in a military hospital specifically about how well the VA was supporting him and his family; Moore obtained that footage and turned Damon’s words inside-out so that it seemed the wounded soldier was criticizing the Bush administration. As FahrenHYPE 9-11 points out (and by the way, I highly recommend that film if you haven’t seen it–it refutes Moore’s claptrap point by point), Moore pinched the footage of Damon from NBC. Moore never obtained permission from Damon to use it, and certainly used the footage dishonestly.

Well. Damon is now suing Michael Moore.

A double-amputee Iraq-war vet is suing Michael Moore for $85 million, claiming the portly peacenik recycled an old interview and used it out of context to make him appear anti-war in “Fahrenheit 9/11.”

Sgt. Peter Damon, 33, who strongly supports America’s invasion of Iraq, said he never agreed to be in the 2004 movie, which trashes President Bush.

In the 2003 interview, which he did at Walter Reed Army Hospital for NBC News, he discussed only a new painkiller the military was using on wounded vets.

“They took the clip because it was a gut-wrenching scene,” Damon said yesterday. “They sandwiched it in. [Moore] was using me as ammunition.”

Damon seems to “voice complaint about the war effort” in the movie, according to the lawsuit.

But what the father of two from Middleborough, Mass., was really talking about was the “excruciating” pain he felt after he lost his arms when a Black Hawk helicopter exploded in front of him.

Lawyer Dennis Lynch said he took the case last year and they held off filing the lawsuit in a bid to settle the matter.

“We attempted to resolve the situation amicably with Mr. Moore [for a year] but he refused,” he said.

Damon is asking for up to $75 million because of “loss of reputation, emotional distress, embarrassment, and personal humiliation.”

I wrote about FahrenHYPE, and about Damon, for NRO a while back. The film is both a sound refutation of Michael Moore and a look at how the Patriot Act has helped prevent terrorist attacks after 9-11.

Update: Henry Hanks emails to remind me that Peter Damon also appeared in Michael Moore Hates America, also to refute Michael Moore’s misuse of his video.

Comments

This is one time when I would actually like to see a rediculously overblown judgement. He may be asking for “only” $75/85 million… but I hope he is awarded $75 *billion* and Moore’s fat arse is sent to debtor prison so he can spend the rest of his life paying off the debt.

Oh wait, sorry, I forgot that we have a legal system rather than a justice system. Shoot.

RH

RobertHuntingdon on May 31, 2006 at 11:25 AM

Great! Couldn’t be happening to a more deserving man.

High Desert Wanderer on May 31, 2006 at 11:29 AM

I have no use for MM (I’ve worked for the idiot.) But if Sgt. Damon signed a release, he has no case.

If Sgt. Damon didn’t sign a release. . . he he he he he!

Wander on May 31, 2006 at 11:31 AM

Sounds like no release was signed, certainly not to the fat ; I doubt there could be a filing any other way.

Go, Sgt. Damon! It would be justice if he wins, then invests in the Deuce Four movie with Bruce Willis :))

Mike O on May 31, 2006 at 11:39 AM

that should be fat (his father never married his mother)

Mike O on May 31, 2006 at 11:40 AM

Damon signed no release. Moore got the footage from NBC and used it without Damon’s permission. He didn’t even know he was in Moore’s film until people started coming up to him and saying “Hey, saw you in that film” and that sort of thing.

Bryan on May 31, 2006 at 11:45 AM

It would have been tough for Sgt. Damon to sign a release, as he had no arms in the hospital.

clyde on May 31, 2006 at 11:47 AM

Prognosticating forward; after a successful Michael Moore butt thumping by Sgt Damon and his team of killer pettifoggers, the jury awards 75 million, believing all aspects of the case to be true and Sgt Damon harmed.

On appeal: Liberal activist judge deems the 75 million dollar award to be excessive and unwarranted. Reduces the award to 400K, and after legal expenses, Sgt Damon retires to a life of luxury on 150k?

Grouper on May 31, 2006 at 11:59 AM

Harpoon that whale, Cap’n Ahab!

dman on May 31, 2006 at 12:17 PM

I still know people that believe every word of every “documentary” Michael Moore has ever made. Regardless of the evidence showing that he’s a big, fat fake.
It’s so depressing.

It’s so disgusting that Moore can use people’s pain in a completely dishonest manner, and get an Oscar for it.

violet on May 31, 2006 at 12:54 PM

I wonder if the ACLU will come to Mooooores’ defense?

dallas94 on May 31, 2006 at 1:12 PM

I hope Old Rolly Polly gets his wallet cleaned out.

Daddies little fatty needs a good spanking!

I hope this doesn’t fade away and we can see the end result.

Kini on May 31, 2006 at 2:14 PM

Moore should have gotten the footage from CBS. I hear Dan Rather has photocopies of the signed release.

Bob Mileti on May 31, 2006 at 2:17 PM

“embarrassment, and personal humiliation”

Yeah, if I was portrayed as endorsing anything Michael Moore said, I’d be embarrassed and humiliated too.

Mark V. on May 31, 2006 at 2:19 PM

Moby Dick is going down!

speed647 on May 31, 2006 at 2:31 PM

The giant hunk of pork is going down!!!!! This news made my day.

UnEasyRider on May 31, 2006 at 3:13 PM

I hope he gets every dime the fat head has.

Tom N on May 31, 2006 at 4:07 PM

I hope MM emerges from this suit too poor to even afford a disposable razor… not that you would notice. Break out the liposuction machine, its time to collect that pound of flesh!

inmanjh on May 31, 2006 at 6:55 PM

Great news.. I also recommend FahrenHYPE 911. Copies can be had for almost nothing at some of the overstock.com type places. I bought 20 copies at 4 dollars a piece about 6 mos ago and mailed them to all the libs I know. Think about it.

RobertCSampson on May 31, 2006 at 8:00 PM

The sad thing is that the people who are Michael Moore desciples are just incapable of hearing the truth about his “documentaries”. I gave my nephew a film debunking that piece of propaganda and he wouldn’t watch it. There is proof that Michael Moore owned stock in Haliburton, but lefties I know are completely closed to any imformation that would expose him in any way. I hope this makes a dent, but sadly, I doubt this guy will get his due in this life.

chetthepet on June 1, 2006 at 12:21 PM

I think it’s about time someone exposed MM as a fraud. I wonder how much media attention this item of news will get. Not much, I imagine.

themediansib on June 1, 2006 at 4:35 PM