Anyone up for some cornhole?

posted at 4:51 pm on May 31, 2006 by Allahpundit

Ace is all over it. Book those reservations now, baby, because come June 17th, Cincinnati is Cornhole City U.S.A.

Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer is, uh, spearheading the festivities. It’ll be “an event unlike any other”, promises their website. “Amazing giveaways!” I ran a search on Google News to make sure no one was putting us on, and nope, it’s legit. “Play cornhole with Carson,” screams one newspaper. And here’s a headline the truth of which scarcely needs acknowledging.

One question remains: will Mike DeWine stop by to join in the cornholing? He’s locked in a tough re-election campaign and he’s fatally compromised on immigration. Perhaps a trip home is in order to remind his constituents just why it was they elected the man his fellow Senators affectionately refer to as “Captain Cornhole.”

Now that I’ve proved I have the sense of humor of a fourteen-year-old boy, here’s Ace’s follow-up post, which pegs his as significantly younger still.

Update: According to Wikipedia, cornhole is native to Cincinnati. Carson Palmer, however, is not; he was born and went to school in California. I mention this only because I’m enjoying the thought of what his reaction must have been when someone from Cincy first approached him with the idea of sponsoring the “cornhole classic.”

Update: The Cincinnati Post reports on Kentuckians’ three favorite pastimes. And here’s a report on cornhole at Yale. Oddly, Bill Clinton isn’t involved.

Update: The Wikipedia article makes clear that corn is optional. It’s the hole that’s important.

Comments

Innuendo is teh r0x0rz!!

Hoodlumman on May 31, 2006 at 5:03 PM

Sounds interesting. However I suffer from hemmoroids and I wonder if the stretching required in this game might make it uncomfortable? I have a similar problem with twister, ballet and yoga.

Sure I do.

SSvet on May 31, 2006 at 5:08 PM

Is Barney Frank from Cincinatti?

Prophet on May 31, 2006 at 5:21 PM

Cincinnati. Dangit. I’m FROM Ohio; you’d think I’d get that right…

Prophet on May 31, 2006 at 5:22 PM

Playing cornhole?

This story stinks!

Shmo on May 31, 2006 at 5:22 PM

Why is there mayo on your corndog?

Because we’re in Cincinnati.

;-)

speed647 on May 31, 2006 at 5:25 PM

Is this game like football where there are players known as tight ends and wide receivers?

SSvet on May 31, 2006 at 5:27 PM

Are you sure this isnt in San Francisco?

shooter on May 31, 2006 at 5:36 PM

Ah, Cincinnati, the same city which elected Jerry Springer mayor. Fitting somehow.

right as rain man on May 31, 2006 at 5:38 PM

They have entire leagues and teams that play this in San Francisco. The Super Bowl of the sport occurs there too.
I forget who’s the league commissioner, but it might be Barney Frank, who knows. Kind of kept on the q t

clyde on May 31, 2006 at 6:04 PM

True enough, Hoodlumman, but Mike DeWine is teh suck.

saint kansas on May 31, 2006 at 7:38 PM

I’m now wondering what the folks that are really into the non-Cincy kind of cornholing are going to think when they Google that term and this site pops up in the search results. Stand by for some VERY STRANGE visitors to Hot Air for the next few days.

pjcomix on May 31, 2006 at 8:18 PM

The highlight of the Purdue Exponent story? “It wouldn’t be the same without drinking.”

The Unabrewer on May 31, 2006 at 10:25 PM

He’s really gonna wipe up the competition.

jtreacher on May 31, 2006 at 11:03 PM

I was so confused when I read Ace earlier. Thanks for the Wiki explanation. I’m from Arizona, and asking someone to take part in a “cornhole classic” might get your a** beat.
Just sayin’.

violet on June 1, 2006 at 2:47 AM

ALLAHpungent, funny how you quote Wikipedia when the mood suits you! I thought you were an Urban Dictionary guy! What happened? Did you disapprove of their definition of “cornhole”?

Come on, aren’t there enough serious issues deserving of your attention? In my opinion – and it is the only one that actually counts – juvenile stories like this and the one you posted about the man mutilating himself denigrate this site.

If I want to waste my time on such trash I’ll listen to Howard or go to Fark.com.

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on June 1, 2006 at 9:17 AM

Being from Indiana we have a different take on this “cornhole” thing…we don’t speak of it around all you “foreigners”… :)

hoosier_federalist on June 1, 2006 at 9:48 AM

Does this mean Carson is getting traded to the 49ers?

thirteen28 on June 1, 2006 at 12:04 PM

Will Beavis be there?

dallas94 on June 1, 2006 at 2:03 PM

a.k.a. – “Cornholio”

dallas94 on June 1, 2006 at 2:03 PM

For once, I flat out don’t know what to say.

james hooker on June 2, 2006 at 6:39 AM