Shotgun-wielding robbers attack Marine, with predictable results

posted at 11:59 am on May 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

Five of them, one of him. They had a shotgun and, possibly, a pistol; he had a pocket knife. Result: three robbers apprehended, one critically injured, one — a pregnant teenaged girl, tragically — dead.

The suspects have been implicated in other robberies. The Marine, Thomas Autry, won’t be charged.

Update 6/2: An autopsy reveals that the teenaged robber wasn’t pregnant after all.

Comments

Good.

dman on May 30, 2006 at 12:11 PM

I’m glad Mr. Autry isn’t going to be charged, it sounds like clear self-defense.

The real tragedy is that our youth have such a low respect for themselves and life that they try to commit crimes like this. Sometimes at least, they don’t get what they expect.

high_desert_wanderer on May 30, 2006 at 12:13 PM

God Bless Thomas Autry.

BirdEye on May 30, 2006 at 12:25 PM

If every state in the country had “conceal and carry” laws violent crimes would plummet.

birdman on May 30, 2006 at 12:41 PM

These are not “my youth”. My kid knows better than to do something that stupid.

clyde on May 30, 2006 at 12:48 PM

Note to self..died of natural causes, nominate for Darwin award.

opiemuyo on May 30, 2006 at 12:56 PM

Too bad Mr. Autry couldn’t take the other ones out too.
Now we’ll all get to suffer for the financial burden they will put on our legal system.

Kramer on May 30, 2006 at 1:18 PM

I love this line from the WSBTV article: “When one of the robbers pointed a shotgun at him, the Autry kicked it out of his hands.” THE Autry. This is straight out of a Jean Claude Van Damme movie, but since he’s too old, who will play The Autry in the upcoming feature film? (Where The Autry, tired of misrepresentation of the war, thrashes top level Democrats and their MSM minions.)

Laura on May 30, 2006 at 1:29 PM

Uuh, Rah.

Mike H. on May 30, 2006 at 2:46 PM

Way to go!

RD on May 30, 2006 at 3:06 PM

OOORAH!

speed647 on May 30, 2006 at 3:33 PM

Outstanding. I always like to hear about citizens defending themselvs against criminals.

Snake307 on May 30, 2006 at 3:43 PM

“Concealed Carry” and “Shall Issue” laws are not enough! Along with those laws, which I wholeheartedly support (I hold a concealed carry permit), must come INDEMNIFICATION and a “Must Not Retreat” law. As in Florida.

Here in Florida, if five “toughs” like the ‘Atlanta Five’ attacked, a permit holder would NOT have A DUTY to retreat as he or she WOULD HAVE TO DO in many other states! Yes, believe it or not, you would have to try to run from these thugs before you could even THINK of using lethal force. A mistake or misjudgment could easily kill you.

Liberals! ARGGGGGHH!

ForYourEdification on May 30, 2006 at 3:51 PM

Ummm……are they that dumb? I mean seriously?

I still remember seeing a brawl at a bar near the MCRD here in San Diego, three marines, nine opponents, nine people with busted bones. If you have half an ounce of brains you don’t mess with marines

On the bright side I made $500 betting on the marines with some dummy :-D

Defector01 on May 30, 2006 at 4:03 PM

It looks like he had no choice.
It does say he is remorseful.
I pray he doesn’t have trouble sleeping over this.
He did the right thing.

Tom N on May 30, 2006 at 4:23 PM

+”…just trying to protect myself. I’m sorry.”+

I love Marines.
I only hope he doesn’t beat himself up over this too much. No one wants to have to take a life.

violet on May 30, 2006 at 5:22 PM

From Defector’s comment:
“I still remember seeing a brawl at a bar near the MCRD here in San Diego, three marines, nine opponents, nine people with busted bones.”

That is so hot for some reason.

We had barfights like that in my hometown too. Great fun.

violet on May 30, 2006 at 5:24 PM

One marine – five hoodlums – not a fair fight FOR the hoods!!

docdave on May 30, 2006 at 5:57 PM

SEMPER FIDELIS….

mike hale on May 30, 2006 at 5:57 PM

She was just trying to fit in when she piled on top of the marine?

Let’s face it. She was dammaged goods, and mom knows where the blame for that goes.

DannoJyd on May 30, 2006 at 6:30 PM

Hey violet
You ever come to SD I’ll show you the military bars; they’re great places for cheap drinks even for us civilians. Those barfights are great to make money off of; marines get into a fight, i’ll find some dummy to bet against the marines, i’ll walk away with some dinero and buy the marines a round. Its a beautiful circle

Defector01 on May 30, 2006 at 6:31 PM

Watch out, that very fine, young, Marine gentleman will, uh, take your life! Love that guy. Humble. Efficient.

JodyBlonde on May 30, 2006 at 6:36 PM

Only a Marine can take a knife to a gun fight and come out on top.

These punks gotta gang up on one dude ’cause they (the punks) can’t fight one on one.

Pansy-ass cowards, ya shoulda joined the Corps instead a sissy gang, then maybe you’d know how to fight. Burn off that extra energy killin’ terrorists instead of innocents. Morons.

Tony737 on May 30, 2006 at 7:15 PM

Semper Fi, were I in Atlanta I’d try to buy that Marine a drink.

Rowane on May 30, 2006 at 7:21 PM

The former Marine, is a waiter at a local resturant…I think I shall go try the fare there and give him an extra large tip, even if he is not my waiter.

Marvin on May 30, 2006 at 8:10 PM

defector:

Sounds like a plan. Marines are great fun to drink with.

violet on May 30, 2006 at 8:38 PM

Watch, one of the thugs he cut or the family of the dead girl will bring a civil suit against this hero…let’s hope this Leatherneck’s attorney can account for himself as good as his client!

Acts20:24 on May 30, 2006 at 10:36 PM

Will it be Murtha or Sharpton to be the first to condemn the Marine not being charged?

hadsil on May 31, 2006 at 2:38 AM

Hoo-rah!

See me comin’ better step aside,
Many men didn’t and many men died!

(By the way – you need an update. According to your second link, the girl was NOT pregnant. And I believe in women’s equality … a woman attacks a Marine, she ends up dead – just like a man)

Professor Blather on May 31, 2006 at 8:53 AM

semper fi

I honor his courage and respect his decisions.

I found this some time ago at, of all things, a sincere religious site for the humane treatment of animals, in their poetry contribution page. It impressed me a lot, so I offer

“For the Marine”

entagor on May 31, 2006 at 9:19 PM

This is the best news I have heard all year.

RolandHall on June 1, 2006 at 12:58 AM

Wonderful. Wish he would have got em all.

ecamorg on June 1, 2006 at 11:34 AM