Penn & Teller on 9/11 conspiracy theories (Update: Naudet footage to be removed from Loose Change?)

posted at 9:17 am on May 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

Not sure when this first aired but it’s too good not to share. Content warning, of course.

The link comes from this lefty skeptic site, which has a terrific round-up of 9/11 CT debunkings available on the Internet. With all due respect to my pals at Screw Loose Change, I think this one is definitive. Except, of course, for its curious omission of the role played by “the Anunnaki”.

Update: This makes two acts of public service performed by Jules and Gedeon Naudet regarding 9/11. In fairness to LC, they do/should have the right to use a small bit of the footage under fair-use law. But I can’t blame the Naudet boys for getting pissy when they see what agenda their work is being used for.

Here’s the cease-and-desist letter which calls for the footage to be removed from all copies of LC, Internet or otherwise. And here’s the Amazon page for the DVD of the Naudet brothers’ documentary, “9/11″.

Comments

Penn could probably use a little soap for that mouth, but he hit the nail on the head. I just wonder if these conspiracy theorists are only looking to draw attention to themselves, because they really are just overthinking 9/11.

CR UVa on May 30, 2006 at 9:46 AM

Those guys are almost always spot on.

p0s3r on May 30, 2006 at 10:29 AM

The profanity at times does seem excessive, but given the level of idiocy Penn is dealing with, it’s perfectly understandable. Given the chance, I would likely express similar sentiments to both conspiracy theorists.

Slublog on May 30, 2006 at 10:43 AM

Absolutely amazed that some American citizens can be so deranged to believe that their own gov’t could conspire to commit this atrocity. As I have said many times, the gov’t isn’t that smart!
Bravo to Penn and Teller for coming out on the side of reason. Wonder if this will enhance or diminish their audience attendance at the Las Vegas show???

Babs on May 30, 2006 at 11:22 AM

This Penn & Teller video, although a bit harsh in its use of language, is DEAD ON in exposing the 9-11 conspiracy wackos. I featured this very Penn & Teller video in the DUmmie FUnnies in April along with selections from a Democrat Underground thread that showed how those DUmmies buy into the wackiest of wacko conspiracy theories. Take a look:

pjcomix on May 30, 2006 at 11:28 AM

I always wonder why these people inevitably support Democratic Party members. Then I decide it’s just as well, because I don’t think I could join them in supporting a Republican after all.

Snake307 on May 30, 2006 at 11:38 AM

Here’s a tongue in cheek satire – or maybe not. Remembering What a “Peaceful” Religion Brought Us Back in `41.

December 7, 2002: President George W. Bush Issues Statement, Hosts Japanese-American “Sunrise” Breakfast To Mark Pearl Harbor Anniversary.

Following yesterday’s message from President Bush honoring the Islamic holiday of Eid al-Fitr, the President today hosted a “sunrise breakfast” for leading Japanese-Americans, the Japanese diplomatic community and a delegation of Shinto priests from Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo, which commemorates Japan’s war dead.

In his remarks delivered before the breakfast, President Bush said, “I want to thank all of you for joining me on a day that means so much both to Americans and to Japanese. Our countries are and always have been good friends. Our cultures are very much alike. We both place great value on individual freedom and opportunity. We both value frankness and straightforward dealing. We have both always been peaceful countries, at home and abroad. And we both have great respect for other cultures and peoples.

Read it all at http://the-gathering-storm.blogsource.com/post.mhtml?post_id=336234

WC on May 30, 2006 at 11:39 AM

I’ve been a huge fan of Penn and Teller’s Bullsh*t for a couple of years now, and it would be the only reason I would order showtime.

Talk about speaking truth to idiots…..
Nice post!

BelchSpeak on May 30, 2006 at 12:11 PM

Great video! It was also informative as I had no idea that 49% of New Yorkers thought the attacks were a government plot.

It does also explain how Hitlary got elected. :o)

DannoJyd on May 30, 2006 at 12:27 PM

Allah, we love that linked debunking of Loose Change every bit as much as you do, especially since it saves us having to listen to Dylan Avery’s voice again whenever we want to pinpoint the time of something in the movie. That was compiled by poster named Gravy (for the brain?) over at the JREF forums, which is another great resource for debunkers:

BTW, thanks for posting the P&T video. I’d seen it before, but as always when you come back to something you see it with new eyes based on what you’ve learned in the meantime. Hufschmid (the nerdy, bald “Truther” in the video) is a real piece of work–Holocaust and Apollo moonwalk denier in addition to his 9-11 “theories”.

Brainster on May 30, 2006 at 1:39 PM

After watching the video, I have to congratulate Penn on his controll. Some of the epitaths that came out of my mouth when the 2 idjits were talking about their “theories” would have made a sailor blush and run for the soap.

Wyrd on May 30, 2006 at 1:48 PM

Definitely one of their better episodes.

The Ugly American on May 30, 2006 at 2:26 PM

Well rats!

It is a shame that they felt the need to pull their footage. I would have been more inclined to purchase it if we could at least see a teaser…

Time for me to go price it. ;o)

DannoJyd on May 30, 2006 at 5:49 PM

Love the part where Penn Gillette encourages viewers– if they ever run into any of these 9/11 conspiracy pukes– to feel free to “throw them down a flight of stairs” without reservation. Precious.

Terp Mole on May 30, 2006 at 7:46 PM

These CTs are certifiable. Can any one of them even spell the word “logic?”

Well DannoJyd, if you really want it I can probably get you a copy in a newsgroup.

Duty, Honor, Country
(in THAT order)
Rowane

Rowane on May 30, 2006 at 8:10 PM

NOTHING YOU CAN SAY WILL CONVINCE ME THAT… these people aren’t complete idiots. Have they ever heard of Occam’s Razor?

inmanjh on May 30, 2006 at 8:51 PM

I have no trouble in accepting the government version of 911.

But why can’t we be trusted to watch the video taken from the rooftop of a nearby hotel of the Pentagon crash? How much longer will the government sit on that?

Labamigo on May 31, 2006 at 12:05 AM

Ladamigo,

Been sippin’ a li’l Kool Aid? Do ya think Sharaton is owned by the gubmint? O, if I could just go back in time with a camcorder just to show that the Pentagon was hit by a frickin’ PLANE! That a thousand witnesses weren’t be wrong after all; it was frickin’ Flight 77, already. That means that it was a frickin’ PLANE! Say it with me: AIRPLANE!

Now I need some sleep…

Tuning Spork on May 31, 2006 at 1:31 AM

Thank you for the offer Rowane. I’ll just keep busy with the liberal ponderances. Those are so far removed from reality that I don’t actually need any more examples for proof.

Liberal CTs don’t subscribe to logic. They are the touchy-feely people. Hahaha!

DannoJyd on June 8, 2006 at 12:27 PM