Haditha: Bush didn’t know until Time magazine reported it

posted at 3:20 pm on May 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

Says Tony Snow, who adds that it was NSA Stephen Hadley who broke the news to the president. Meanwhile, responding to complaints from Iraqis that their own government hasn’t looked into the incident, new PM Nuri al-Maliki says he’s had enough of American excuses and is launching an investigation of his own. But why? Like Jack Murtha, he’s already made up his mind. Although he’d probably disagree with the “solution” Murtha proposed on GMA this morning.

Michelle’s latest comments on Haditha are here. We’ll have a Vent on the subject tomorrow. In the meantime, read CNN correspondent Arwa Damon‘s memoir of her interactions with Kilo Company last year. She knows some of the Marines accused of being involved in the massacre and she’s stunned by the allegations given how much restraint they demonstrated during the operations she observed. She makes the city sound like one big booby trap.

Elsewhere, a writer at Zmag tries his level best to lay the killings at Bush’s feet; Greyhawk notes remorse from the anti-war crowd over their latest psyop going bust — but only because it distracts from Haditha; the Commissar finds that lefty triumphalists say the darnedest things; and Rick Moran wishes he was a keyboard “activist” or a keyboard insurgent or maybe even a super-badass keyboard revolutionary instead of a chickenhawk keyboard warrior. You know, like these guys.

Comments

I honestly find it hard to believe GW didn’t have initial information at the earliest late 2005. IMO

flyboy777 on May 30, 2006 at 5:11 PM

Its well past time to charge Murtha with treason and sedition.

Duty, Honor, Country
(in THAT order)
Rowane

Rowane on May 30, 2006 at 6:59 PM

Rowane:

I heartily agree… and don’t expect it anytime soon.

Any true Marine worth his salt would properly keep his mouth shut other than to urge investigation. It does nothing but expose him for the idiot that he is, with an underlying agenda to boot. I bet his Marine buddies can’t wait to have a beer with him. I know several who would buy his beer for him, in a heavy glass bottle I’ll bet.

Investigate the situation and deal with it accordingly. I would absolutely condone execution of the soldiers responsible IF, and only if, it can be PROVEN. That in itself would seem difficult to do, but what the other Marines have to say, that were witness to what occurred should weigh heavily. Given the vicinity, I hesitate to give much creedence to John Q. Iraqi, but then again that is why they refer to it as an investigation.

Investigations don’t always uncover all the facts. Sometimes it can’t be done. That no more justifies a ‘hang ‘em anyway’ mentality than would it ever be justifiable to kill innocent civilians… if they were.

It sure is a great opportunity for the lefties to make hay, though. If they are convicted, it will be an “I told you so”. If they are found innocent, it will be a “cover up”.

(Oh, sorry for the capital letters above, too… I was chastized recently for attempting to show “nuance”. I keep letting my emphasis and conviction bleed into my comments and must work on my ‘conformist android evolution’…)

HA!

horsepower_1st on May 30, 2006 at 7:32 PM

You know, hp, (by the way, what’s the story with your handle? are you a car nut? no shame either way..I am..that’s why i was asking) I had a great point, but I totally forgot it when i read ‘conformist android evolution’; that’s a great phrase..damn funny. You’re right on with the rest of it. Even if they are found to have been justified, it will always be alluded to as a pack of lies; a cover up, ect. And of course, if they did get wild, why, we all knew this was coming. Our poor boys sent off to die for oil went stark raving mad and started killing indiscriminately..(don’t like that word. It’s like banana; don’t know when to stop spelling it) Either way though, I bet we have another Mikey Moore movie to look forward to…barf.

austinnelly on May 30, 2006 at 10:40 PM

+”and Rick Moran wishes he was a keyboard “activist” or a keyboard insurgent or maybe even a super-badass keyboard revolutionary instead of a chickenhawk keyboard warrior. “+

Me too, me too!

violet on May 31, 2006 at 3:07 AM

austinnelly:

Our opinions are aligned (but you knew that). What I think about a lot when we have one of these alleged ‘situations’ has several prongs…

First, we accept these VOLUNTEERS into our service, train them and send them off to fight for our security (truly everybody’s in the free world). But they are asked not just to fight the obvious enemy, but also the likes of Mr. Murtha, who bites deeply into any potential raw meat and runs like hell for the streets with it. Didn’t they have a plate already full enough?

Secondly, we have to trust in our troops discretion as to when to use deadly force or not. If we can’t trust them with that, then we can’t arm them.

Thirdly, what about the dilemma that this leaves in the minds of the soldiers that learn of these alleged killings? Does anyone here think that they don’t consider what they might find themselves in if they make the wrong decision in the heat of battle? What if they hesitate just one millisecond too long and find themselves in the sights of a real terrorist? How many have died since Murtha ran his yap because of exactly that occurrence? We’ll never know since they aren’t around anymore to tell us what happened. But that’s OK, huh, Mr. Murtha?

Fourth, how many new terrorists will be indoctrinated into the fold after Murtha’s parsed and edited selections are compiled in the next terrorist promo video? …whether the allegations prove to be true or not! Think that’s OK, Mr. Murtha?

Lastly, where was Murtha when they sawed off Nick Burg’s head or any of the multitude of other horrific killings of our own innocents? Anybody remember his wailings when any ONE of those atrocities occurred? Why not? Were our innocents less noteworthy? …or just maybe they didn’t offer the high profile attention and political opportunity? Afterall, the LSM didn’t think so…

Yeppir… he’s a real hero alright.

PS: I have modified cylinder heads and two stroke cylinders for racing applications for the last 34 years, austinnelly, thus my user name.

horsepower_1st on May 31, 2006 at 8:19 AM

GW reads Time?!?!?!?!?!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 31, 2006 at 10:43 AM

Think it would be easier to concentrate on what Bush does know. Shorter list.

honora on June 1, 2006 at 11:01 AM