Our gaywad superheroes

posted at 11:46 am on May 29, 2006 by Allahpundit

There aren’t enough real villains to fight, I guess, so they’re duking it out with each other over civil liberties. The dissenters — led by Captain America, naturally — are facing hard time at a Gitmo-esque facility. Here’s the page at Wikipedia; She-Hulk sounds conflicted. Stay tuned for next week’s issue, in which a grief-stricken Batman hears the news about Haditha and has the Human Torch immolate him outside Don Rumsfeld’s office.

Didn’t Lileks do a Bleat or Screed awhile back about the phenomenon of anti-war superheroes? It sounds like something he’d write about, but I can’t find anything online. Maybe it was Steyn. Anyway, here’s a Frontpage article from 2003 about Superman’s objection to President Luthor’s war in “Qurac.” And here’s an article from 2004 in the Sunday Herald profiling Marvel Comics’ chief writer, Mark Millar, and his opposition to America’s war against “this phantom axis of evil.” How well informed is (or was) Millar?

I felt that, if superheroes really existed, they’d be under enormous pressure to get involved. [Around] 1100 mostly poor, mostly black kids have died out there, so how could someone like Captain America just stay here and fight bank robbers or mad scientists?

Emphasis mine. Here’s the racial breakdown of soldiers killed in Iraq as of two weeks ago.

In fairness to Marvel, they did produce a “Support Our Troops” comic for military personnel overseas. WaPo wrote about it last April. Click, if only for the photo.

Update: This isn’t what I was thinking of, but it is Lileks writing about an anti-war superhero. Thanks to Todd D. for the tip.

Comments

It is a given that the political, moral and civil output from American media, its writers, publishers, editors and members are unforgivingly, unabashedly biased and liberal. That written, why on Earth would we expect “superheroes” conjured in the minds of liberals to be other than liberal? Superman, Captain Marvel and Batman conservatives? HORRORS!

Did I miss something here? Did I misread the chart? Because I saw nothing in its racial breakdown about the black kids being “poor.” Furthermore, the chart clearly demonstrates that “Hispanic or Latino” — not blacks –- took a larger toll! Being “poor” had nothing to do with it!

And where did that figure of “1100 mostly poor, mostly black kids” who died “out there” come from? The toll, plainly recorded, is 244 – not 1100. By contrast in fact, according the chart, 1804 WHITES died! Anyhow, what’s the point of throwing these racially charged statistics out there? Our government did not “gang up on minorities!” And remember — every one of those “poor” people was or is a volunteer!

If superheroes did exist, and if they did “get involved,” the best thing they could do to prevent the loss of American and other innocent lives would be to seek out and rid the world of terrorists, despots and homicidal maniacs like Iran’s Ahmadinejad. Now THOSE would be true superheroes!

ForYourEdification on May 29, 2006 at 12:31 PM

I’m waiting for the first transexual, lesbian, blind, wheelchair-bound, narcolepsy-afflicted overweight superheroine. Roll ‘em!

clyde on May 29, 2006 at 12:44 PM

I read Chuck Dixon. Sadly, his conservatism has left him osterisized from the comic book community lately.

ZRyan on May 29, 2006 at 12:58 PM

Hit “submit.” Whoops.

Dixon does war comics these days. They’re good (go read Team Zero).

ZRyan on May 29, 2006 at 12:59 PM

Millar’s a red diaper baby:

“I was raised in a very politicised working-class home in Coatbridge, with more than its fair share of left-wing literature lying around. My father was a union guy with a sympathy for communism and one of the earliest stories I remember writing to please him was a Soviet superhero thing…. Just as Superman stood for Truth, Justice and the American Way, this guy stood for Stalin, International Socialism and the glorious Five-Year Plan.”

He wrote “Red Son”, where Superman lands in Russia and becomes a Soviet:

“I’ve done this more like the Golden Age Superman where the story really starts with him coming from the Russian farmlands to the big city of Moscow, as idealistic and trusting in the system as our Superman is with regards to capitalism and the American Way. I didn’t want to make fun of communism because it’s such an easy target… like the best science fiction I use it as an allegory for the world we’re living in and Superman’s takeover of the world with pre-emptive strikes is really a very fair dissection of what’s been happening in America over the last ten or fifteen years. It’s all about Empires and the fact that these monolothic structures are doomed from the beginning.”

Alex K on May 29, 2006 at 1:17 PM

AllahPundit—Speaking of Batman, have you seen the preview trailer for the NEXT Batman movie? Take a look and PLEASE don’t be drinking or eating anything while viewing it or you will choke on your own laughter:

pjcomix on May 29, 2006 at 1:36 PM

This brings to mind an article I read or video I saw about the new X-Men movie and Ian McKellan comparing the characters to his real-life homosexuality (I don’t think there is a movie he stars in that he doesn’t find SOME parallel with homosexuality). The plot of the new movie is about there being a cure developed to reverse mutations. Ian said that it was like homosexuality being reversed in some people. He compared his character’s opposition to the cure to his own opposition to homosexuality being reversed.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t his character, Magneto, a murderous villain? Is he so sure that he wants to make the comparison?

Paul Atreides on May 29, 2006 at 1:56 PM

Hey, good to see that you’ve taken some interest in the sorry state of comic books these days. Besides my world affairs blog ( http://telchaination.blogspot.com/ ), I’ve also got a comics blog ( http://fourcolormedmon.blogspot.com/ ), where I mainly try to study how the MSM writes about comic books (I also sent you a trackback ping for this post, as you’ll notice above).

Comic books are sadly a “niche” venue today, and don’t get the really major coverage they deserve. If they got more though, it’s quite possible that Michelle and others would be talking about them more than they actually do. But what coverage they DO get can often enough be very sugarcoated — and even sensationalized. I once used to read the works of a moonbat reporter who worked for Scripps-Howard, but today, as I’ve since concluded, his columns were absolutely awful. The last straw was when he wrote a sensationalistic column about DC Comics’ “Identity Crisis”, a miniseries that was shockingly misogynistic, yet MSMers and moonbats of his sort would rather have hidden those facts from our knowledge. It was also an allegory to 9-11, but because it didn’t use the same kind of in-broad-daylight approach that Marvel used when they put out trash like the Marvel Knights version of Captain America, you wouldn’t know it at first sight. If you need some more info on this, here’s some links that may help. It’s quite a lot I’m providing here, but they do offer a lot to think about, and some insight into what’s happened with comic books of recent:

This, I am sad to say, is the kind of level that comic books today have been sinking to. Political biases, and even discrimination. If only they could get more discussion in the press, by the conservatives and even the liberals with more concern, maybe it’d be possible to solve some of the problems.

For anyone who wants to know what MSM coverage of comic books is like, feel free to visit my blog on the subject, where I do my darnded best to dissect whatever bad, knee-jerk articles I can find. It could help in knowing just what’s wrong with how the media reports about comic books, just as much as how they report about political topics.

Avi Green on May 29, 2006 at 2:03 PM

Man, that would be a lefties wet dream come true: super heroes that don’t unite with their home country’s interests; rather they have political agendas. Don’t like the policies of the elected government, why, just walk in there and take him out! No more sending our boys to die for oil, President George! Hold still while I chop your head off with my shield! That’ll teach you! Remember what Captain America always says kids, anyone who goes to war illegally, will die by my hand! What a crock. I used to love Marvel comics.

austinnelly on May 29, 2006 at 2:22 PM

I liked the old EC Comics better. Best war comics ever, especially the Flying Aces stuff about World War One. Boy, could those guys draw. Also, it was interesting that issues of Frontline Combat had stories about French Indo-China, the modern day Vietnam, and the fight against Communism.

clyde on May 29, 2006 at 2:30 PM

What a crock. I used to love Marvel comics.

——————————

Remember, when everything wasn’t so politicized? It must have been great, during the first half of the twentieth century to be able to decide on a movie, pick up a comic book, watch a television program, etc. without having to wade through the never-ending leftist propoganda embedded throughout most forms of entertainment today. I seriously doubt that there could be any movie from the Golden Era of Hollywood that could be remade today without some bit of leftist drivel added to it. I’ve not been to a movie in at least two or three years. I’ve not followed comic books for a long time so I’m only slightly aware of the sorry state in which they have become. I remember when comic books used to be an escape for kids, a means of using the imagination. The heroes went up against villains who wanted to take over the world with strange inventions.

Paul Atreides on May 29, 2006 at 2:32 PM

I used to collect marvel and dc comics as a kid, now (if i had a kid) I couldn’t let him read any.

oh Alex K, I actually enjoyed Red Son because A. I love alternate history and this one kinda played well and B. It showed the only way communism works is with one superman controlling everything his subjects do, and yet the people will always strive for freedom

Defector01 on May 29, 2006 at 3:18 PM

Wyrd on May 29, 2006 at 3:49 PM

Mark Millar is obviously the dupe of a time rift that places his mentality squarely in the LBJ Administration and SecDef Robert MacNamara’s 100,000. Which dumbed down the requirements of the Draft and flung wide its doors.

It’s a pity that so many celebs and empty “Talking Heads” are also victim of the same rampant stupidity.

Oh, for the days of DC’s “Sgt. Rock” at a dime a pop!

Jack.

Jack Deth on May 29, 2006 at 4:16 PM

Here is the deal, from a real comic nerd. Mark Millar, the writer of Civil War, is a card carrying socialist that likes America, but truly dislikes conservatives. The story is about the reaction to hundreds of kids being killed when neophyte superheroes, with a reality show, try to take down a threat that was over their heads. This leads to the creation of a Superhero Registration Act, in which heroes have to either register with the government or becom outlaws. This leads to the superheros splitting into two camps, the pro registration side led by Iron Man, the anti side led by Captain America. The good news is that the other creators at Marver, specifically Brian Bendis, JM Straszynski & Joe Quesada, have given the story more of a balanced slant. If you read the story to date you can see both sides fo the issue get more or less equal weight.

[quote]Not even getting into the politics, but this is ripped right from a DC Book called “Kingdom Come”.[/quote]
We won’t know if it’s exactly Kingdom Come, which is one of the great works of all time, until it’s finished, but KC was more about a generational conflict than brother versus brother/

Number 2 on May 29, 2006 at 4:28 PM

I admit to complete ignorance of comics these days-do they still have Good combatting and winning out over Evil?
Or does Evil generally win now?
Or are there no more lines drawn (sorry) making a distinction between the two?

Doug on May 29, 2006 at 4:55 PM

Defector01–

No doubt, I was just pointing out Millar’s moral sympathy with Communism and his equivalence of its expansionism with America’s current foreign policy. Red Son also had an interesting but disturbing ending that implies that if you’re smart enough–like Lex Luthor–you could make managerial government succeed like clockwork.

Also, he did take the tack that lefties tend to take with the Soviet Union, which is to mildly admit its logistical failure while overlooking its mass murder and the way that murder arose directly from Marxist-Leninist theory. If Superman can hear factories on fire miles away why can’t he “hear the screams” (as Chambers puts it in the intro to Witness)? Cause Millar ignores them.

Alex K on May 29, 2006 at 5:31 PM

Number 2 said, “This leads to the creation of a Superhero Registration Act, in which heroes have to either register with the government or become outlaws”

It almost sounded like you were describing the plot of “The Incredibles”:)

BigOrangeAxe on May 29, 2006 at 6:38 PM

I read Marvel comics (paritcularly Fantastic Four) since 1981, but when they decided they needed to “update” the books in the mid to late 90s I stopped reading. I’d been thinking of re-subscribing to FF again, but Mark Millar has pretty much turned me off. Entertainment used to be for joy…or escapism…fun. But this sort of thing takes the joy out of it. I also really like the BBC show Dr. Who, and when they brought it back I was as excited as anyone, but the guy who is running the show, Russell T. Davies, is an avowed lefty who slips in pot-shots at anything that doesn’t conform to his political views, as well as little blips of homosexual innuendo. Film…literature…TV…now comic books. Not much left.

And as for ripping off…Millar is an admitted fan of Alan Moore, and really, The Marvel Civil War smacks of The Watchmen to an extent, with a bit of M for Mediocre thrown in.

Millar is a joykiller, I hope he’s happy with himself. I’m sure Jack “King” Kirby is spinning in his grave. I wonder what Stan Lee’s take on all of this is.

Spassvogel on May 29, 2006 at 9:05 PM

Superman is troubled by an invasion of Qurac. Ok, but look who’s President – Lex Luthor! Never mind how in the storyline he came President, but the mere fact Lex Luthor is President says everything. It’s impossible to have a fair honest debate.

When I was a kid, there was a tv live action movie of Captain America starring Reb Brown (70′s or 80′s. I was a kid. I loved it. Now more politically aware, it was on tv again a couple of years ago. “Cool” I thought. After watching the first 30 minutes, I turned it off in disgust. It was such a liberal bias I was suffocating. The President was a liberal environmentalist who raised taxes and didn’t care if it hurt big business interests. The bad guys were led by Red Skull and included a rebellious head of the US military and various CEOs of large multinational corporations, especially big oil.

It wasn’t that long ago someone produced a black Captain America comic titled “Truth”. He was black because in those days the government would use black people instead of white people to test out experimental druds, which is how Captain America got his powers.

In the late 90′s there was a comic out where a self-righteous indigent Tonto punches out the Lone Ranger. The setting took place in a corrupt town where the corrupt mayor has a striking resemblance to Ronald Reagan.

Why can’t the comics just be comics?

hadsil on May 30, 2006 at 3:00 AM

OMG, pjcomix, That was hillarious.

Duty, Honor, Country
(in THAT order)
Rowane

Rowane on May 30, 2006 at 8:20 AM

_____________________________________

That’s a very good point. Think about any of the John Wayne war movies you may have caught this weekend. He made a ton of them in WWII to help morale. How many war movies have you seen lately? The only one I can think of is jarhead and it was a hit job on the military. You can’t find any movies about fighting terrorists. Want to see some terrorists get their butts kicked? You have to go back to the old Chuck Norris Golan/Globus films; most of them were pretty hokey but it’s amazing how similar the rhetoric is. I’d stopped collecting comics before they went downhill but I was shocked at how far they’ve gone. I’m sure the lefties are proud of how they’ve changed the message of various types of media. Even novels. I received a book for Christmas called The Camel Club; same author who wrote Absolute Power that Clint Eastwood starred in when it came to film; The Camel Club had so many leftist tropes and dipstick consipiracys I was laughing out loud. The antagonist was a rogue intelligence officer who staged a hit on the president of the united states using non lethal rounds to prove some our governments corruption. Anyway, it was really liberal, and really stupid. I’ll never read his books again…my point is, extreme lefties are like a fungus; they get into and politicize everything.

austinnelly on May 30, 2006 at 8:47 AM

“gaywad” AllahPundit? Is it in keeping with HotAir’s policy to refer to people as “GAYWADS”? Why not our faggot superheros or some other euphemism I wouldn’t even type here? Even if these are not your words consider what you post. Then again you seek to mock Allah in your screen name so I suppose name calling is OK in your world! (And you think I’m insane!)

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 30, 2006 at 9:00 AM

GAH!!

This storyline was worth exploring once in X-Men. It’s sad to see such a lack of creativity in the industry that they have to re-visit it all over again.

venmax on May 30, 2006 at 9:20 AM

Because believe it or not, DPR, “gaywad” isn’t an anti-gay slur. At least not as I, and a lot of people at the Urban Dictionary, understand it.

Allahpundit on May 30, 2006 at 9:25 AM

Don’t take Civil War or Joe Kelly’s Iraq War polemic as the norm in comics today. They take cues from real life, but they always have, from the Justice Society feeding war orphans in 1943, to Green Lantern fighting Russian Rocket Reds in the 80′s. There are lots of great, apolitical books out there

BigOrangeAxe, it does soud a bit like the Incredibles, but Marvel has been doing Registration in X-Men books since the early 80′s, so it’s not really a ripoff.

BTW, if HotAir needs a correspondent to cover the Nerdly Arts, I’m available.

Number 2 on May 30, 2006 at 10:14 AM

Allahpundant, so it’s not an anti-gay slur as you and “a lot of people at the Urban Dictionary understand it.”

Just so I’m clear, is that the same Urban Dictionary which also lists gaywad along with the synonyms on the first line as “sound, fag, faggot, homo, homosexual, queer, ass bandit, douchebag, f***tard, and gay”?

If so, I can’t wait to share the information is such a studious publication with all of my gay friends, not to mention those who are negro and oriental. They will be so relieved that they’re finally getting the recognition they’ve struggled so long to achieve.

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 30, 2006 at 10:56 AM

But, as long as you brought it up, BBC News is reporting”

Batwoman hero returns as lesbian

Comic book heroine Batwoman is to make a comeback as a “lipstick lesbian” who moonlights as a crime fighter, a DC Comics spokesman has confirmed.

Batwoman – real name Kathy Kane – will appear in 52, a year-long DC Comics publication that began this month.

In her latest incarnation, she is a rich socialite who has a romantic history with another 52 character, ex-police detective Renee Montoya.

52 will be published in the UK as a graphic novel by Titan Books in 2007.

The series is set in a world in which established superheroes like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman no longer play a part.

The new-look Batwoman is just one of a wave of ethnically and sexually diverse characters entering the DC Comics universe.

Others include Mexican teenager Blue Beetle – who replaces the character’s previous white incarnation – and the Great Ten, a government-sponsored team of Chinese superheroes.

Regular characters Firestorm and The Atom, meanwhile, have been reinvented as black and Asian heroes respectively.

The characters are part of a wider effort to broaden the make-up of comic-book creations in line with society as a whole.

Batwoman, who first appeared in July 1956, has not been seen since September 1979 when she was killed by the League of Assassins and the Bronze Tiger.

Kinda opens the door for Betty and Veronica!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 30, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Re Doctor Who:

I’ve been watching it and love it. I don’t see the “pot shots” myself. I’m more bothered they can’t seem to get away from London for more than one episode, and never from Earth, but I’m enjoying it.

hadsil on May 31, 2006 at 2:46 AM