Video: McCain compares guest-worker tax treatment to Jim Crow

posted at 2:38 pm on May 25, 2006 by Allahpundit

Quite a day he’s having.

Update: Says Goldstein,

Honestly, watching the video, I half expected McCain to drive home the emotional thrust of his point by painting the mental image of Mexicans crammed into the back of stiflingly hot public transport, with barely any room to move, what with all the sombreros colliding and the live chickens running wild and such.

He’s laughing at both of us, Jeff.

Comments

John McCain should consider collecting his thoughts before he speaks, he sounds like a blathering idiot in this clip. The scary part is, he probably did gather his thoughts beforehand. And this man wants to be president? So much for form.

As to content, what is so unusual about collecting the same taxes from “guest workers” that US citizens pay? And why should “guest workers” enjoy the same benefits of our society as citizens? What country in its right mind would extend the same rights to none-citizens (I know, that’s a loaded question).

Look for Kennedy/McCain, the 2-headed imbecile, to next propose voting rights for “guest workers.”

inmanjh on May 25, 2006 at 3:15 PM

Oh he’s just mad about those new “conservative only” water fountains installed at the Capitol.

The Ugly American on May 25, 2006 at 3:41 PM

I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what McCain is complaining about.

However, it propmted me to think that if we give these people amnesty, ya ya they’ll pay a fine and back taxes, that when they do file for the 5 or more prior years then they’ll get a windfall, re: earned income tax credit.

Now, won’t that be just dandy?

MikeG on May 25, 2006 at 3:47 PM

McCain acts like he’s lost in space, or maybe lost in the woods, and he “can’t see the forest for the trees”.

birdman on May 25, 2006 at 4:02 PM

I think he’s just mad that people are starting to realize that he has a severe case of cranial-rectum insertion.

RH

RobertHuntingdon on May 25, 2006 at 4:08 PM

John McCain is a traitor and an inside the beltway elitist

ScottyDog on May 25, 2006 at 4:10 PM

Of course he can’t see the forest — he’s got too much of his colon’s walls in the way.

RH

RobertHuntingdon on May 25, 2006 at 4:12 PM

Doh! sorry for the double post — thought my earlier insult was rejected by a filter or something.

RobertHuntingdon on May 25, 2006 at 4:13 PM

MikeG, good point.

But you have left out the biggest problem….bankrupting the social security system 20 years down the road!

They would have to pay in 7.5% plus the employers have to putin the 7.5%. I think we would have tremendous difficulties collecting the money, but would have no problem sending them the money when they claim benefit!

There is no way we can allow them to stay in this country without bankrupting the SS system.

Easy87us

easy87us on May 25, 2006 at 4:15 PM

Sen. Grassley has it right, this is not only 1986 redux, but a huge giveaway to illegals. . . breaks that law-abiding Americans don’t get.

Oh yeah, McCain is out of his mind. Taxes = Jim Crow?? I don’t think so!

MCPO Airdale on May 25, 2006 at 4:16 PM

This is absolutely Jim Crow.

After all, Americans aren’t being given an amnesty for years of tax fraud on the basis that they learn a non-functional amount of English, the way these illegals are.

I feel so discriminated against. ;-)

Throw John “Bull Connor” McCain out of office!

tommy1 on May 25, 2006 at 4:49 PM

McCain said:

“Some things are within a certain area that I probably understand the rational behind it…”

Unfortunately, it appears that ‘certain area’ is very small indeed; however, probably not as small as the number of true conservatives who would consider voting for him as POTUS in any upcoming election.

tommy1 on May 25, 2006 at 4:57 PM

Look at the bright side, now all of us will be victims. Misery loves company, so lets have an illegal love in on McCain’s dime.

Shmo on May 25, 2006 at 4:59 PM

John McCain for Bus Driver!

Altura Ct. on May 25, 2006 at 5:04 PM

“Right On” tommy1. I just wrote McCain an email and told how out of touch I thought he was. Let him know!

brtex on May 25, 2006 at 5:07 PM

Sen, McCain was a combat hero, but he needs help.
PTSD

…Intense psychological distress (Criterion B4) or physiological reactivity (Criterion B5) often occurs when the person is exposed to triggering events that resemble or symbolize an aspect of the traumatic event (e.g., anniversaries of the traumatic event; cold snowy weather or uniformed guards for survivors of death camps in cold climates; hot [or] hot, humid weather for combat veterans of the South Pacific [my emphasis, elvis]…

Sen. McCain may be overly sensitive to the border jumpers who are experiencing extreme physical and pschological conditions to which he relates from his POW experience.

elvis on May 25, 2006 at 5:08 PM

Pathetic.

John McCain: Uncle Tomas

speed647 on May 25, 2006 at 5:18 PM

McCains pandering is an insult to $2 whores everywhere.

Shmo on May 25, 2006 at 5:24 PM

McCains pandering is an insult to $2 hookers everywhere.

Shmo on May 25, 2006 at 5:25 PM

If there WAS a bus illegals had to ride on, you can bet they wouldn’t have to pay a fare. Nor would they pay for the bus. That’s on American taxpayers, a segment of the public McCain has apparently forgotten exist.

clyde on May 25, 2006 at 5:32 PM

Allahpundit, tell Michelle her web site should be fixed so people could e-mail the articles. It would bring her more biz, like this one does.

clyde on May 25, 2006 at 5:34 PM

If the congress allows the “former” illegals to file in order to claim SS benefits and or earned income credits, will they also fine them and give them jail time for serially de-frauding someones SSN? Someone has horible credit because of these illegals. Using someone elses SSN is illegal. How do we just say hey woops that is ok here is your SS benefit check and your taxes back and your EIC. I say it is crap. The more I think of this the more I am for throwing them out, or letting them pay fines and penalties and then throwing them out (I know that is “MEAN” but they cost me and a lot of people home loans, car loans, and money in general from taxation) I don’t even care if we round them up… just build a damned wall and as we find them send ‘em back.

Concerned Student on May 25, 2006 at 5:53 PM

What an embarrassment. When/if that fence ever gets built, please place him on the other side of it first. Enough of him.

ChelleFiche on May 25, 2006 at 5:53 PM

Not only am I a nativist but I’m a Jim Crow supporter. I didn’t know the Klan all of a sudden allowed in moderate Conservative Jews, affirmative action again?
Tell me, how much more does McCain have to sound like a Democrat before he makes the move to that party? This is getting absolutely asinine!

Defector01 on May 25, 2006 at 6:13 PM

He’s loony. This is what happens when career politicians begin to realize that just talking about a problem isn’t going to stamp out the fire on this one. He is entirely consumed with not “offending” anyone. Good Lord help us if this guy and Billary are our choices in 08.

Sugar Land on May 25, 2006 at 6:22 PM

You hear that sound?

That’s the sound of a potential presidential bid going right down the toilet.

He is obviously completely out of touch with the republican base, and the republicans in his state too. I doubt he’ll win reelection, never mind the presidential primary.

Rebar on May 25, 2006 at 6:49 PM

I first read it here, but don’t know who to give credit to:

Saying we have to continue to perpetuate this strange proletariate because “otherwise the cabbage won’t get picked” = “we can’t free the slaves or the cotton crop won’t get in the field.”

Not only is McCain the racist, he’s also cruel for allowing people to come this country and think it’s normal to make $4/hour and live with 30 people in your house. That’s NOT what America is about! They are trying to legalize their own serfdom!

NTWR on May 25, 2006 at 7:09 PM

John McCain was tortured in Vietnam. That is a horror and tragedy for anyone to bear. But it does much to explain his current and ensuing mental collapse. There can be no other explanation for McCain’s complete loss of sanity.

War hero then, mental midget, patronizer and borderline traitor now.

THIS and Hillary are the best they can do for President?

WE ARE INDEED DOOMED!

ForYourEdification on May 25, 2006 at 7:14 PM

There are War Buddies who believes McCain is insane:

Federali on May 25, 2006 at 7:23 PM

And McVain fires another bullet into the foot of his chances for ’08.

No, he and Hillary are not the best we can do for president … in fact, on the Republican side, just about any candidate is better than he is.

thirteen28 on May 25, 2006 at 7:30 PM

This country is bankrupt.

Where are the charismatic Leaders?

Other than Tancredo and very few others, are you proud of your politicians? Are you proud of the weasels who are running the Government of this great nation?

CatholicConservative on May 25, 2006 at 9:52 PM

Hey mccain (lowercase intentional): here’s some traveling music for ya:

solitas on May 25, 2006 at 10:57 PM

mccain has not shot himself in the foot if you consider and compare what the hildebeast (aka- piaps)is doing on her side of the aisle. He needs to move left and she needs to move right. Sorry to say, but we help him when we crucify him on the blogosphere. If only there were a way to crucify him without the lsm getting wind of it and making him a “martyr to the assaults of the VRWC”.

persecutor on May 26, 2006 at 7:15 AM

Ropera / Bob Mileti YOUR 4 STEP BORDER PLAN

I was talking with my buddies about your plan last night.

Summary:
1 Dig a long border ditch and flood it
2 Use the dirt to fix the levees in N.O.
3 Put the Florida gators in the ditch
4 Feed the gators with Jimmy Carter and John McCain

My buddies worry that the Mexicans would trap and eat the gators. Always a catch.

Shmo on May 26, 2006 at 9:32 AM

such a disappointment. if McCain is all we have going for us in 2008, we are in for a very rough ride. kind of depressing, isn’t it?

pullingmyhairout on May 26, 2006 at 10:02 AM

McCain has long ago spent whatever political capital he may have earned in Vietnam.

dman on May 26, 2006 at 11:40 AM

McCain lost his balls, guts, and spine somewhere in D.C. He’s really nuts if he thinks any republican is going to support his left of Teddy views. What a huge disapointment from a guy who I respected for years. He sold us out and I have zero respect for trash he’s become.

SparkyFD on May 26, 2006 at 6:44 PM

There must have been some horrible stuff in the FBI files that the Clintons had in the White House — something has to explain the awful remarks and decisions of so many senators. It’s either blackmail or bribery that has caused them to undercut Americans as they have done.

I keep shaking my head in disbelief.

Margaret McC on May 26, 2006 at 11:31 PM

I agree Margaret. Pictures of Senators with farm animals would about cover it, I think.

linlithgow on May 27, 2006 at 3:36 AM

What the heck are we gonna do? A classic catch-22 anymore with these liberal Republicans. I really don’t want to vote for either of my two RINO’s again: DeWine and Voinovich, but don’t want to end up with something worse. When we keep voting for the RINO’s, they take us for granted and nothing changes.

All I know is letters and calls don’t seem to work. I hate being treated by the GOP like a fringe group.

I would be very interested in a conservative third party. Something needs to change.

right as rain man on May 27, 2006 at 7:18 AM

If we harangue our officials up for re-election this year we can put the fear of God in to them; don’t let them think for a moment that you won’t sit it out if they cave on this (even if you wouldn’t do that because the alternative is worse).

I am sick and tired of being treated as an idiot by my elected officials and ignored- by the Republicans- save for the ubiquitious ‘Please, don’t let Democrats win this year!’ fundraising letters. As the saying goes, “Do I look like a wh-re? Then why are you trying to…”

This is the letter I sent to the office of one of my weasel-y senators:

Senator Cantwell-

I received your form letter in reponse to my submission on your site; thank you for attempting to justify the legalization of lawbreaking!

Your excuses for supporting this legislation are disingenuous at best and a breach of legislative trust and violation of the Constitution at worst. The bill you so misguidedly tout as being strong on enforcing our borders is once again so much of nothing. It does nothing to permanently secure the border, provides for only 300 miles of fencing along a nearly 2000 mile border (and we need a permission slip from the Mexican government to protect our own sovereignty), the Border Security you brag of will be phased in over a protracted period, there is no way to determine how much in ‘back taxes’ illegal immigrants owe when they haven’t even been paid in a legal manner that would require records to be kept although that doesn’t seem to concern anyone (I assume because as per usual, our so called representatives in Washington believe we are not sufficiently saavy enough to find these egregious omissions), illegal immigrants are allowed to profit from their crimes by allowing them to receive whatever pittance they may have paid into Social Security while allowing them the potential to cash in on the earned income tax credit, there is no discussion about what to do with the millions who- in addition to breaking Federal law when they crossed our border- also were granted Federal Aid to which they were not entitled and also committed additional crimes by purchasing forged documents such as Social Security cards.

As for this bill helping labour shortfalls? Please, don’t continue to insult my intelligence on this issue. The CBO says that the influx of illegal immigrants has reduced the overall wages of unskilled labourers up to 10%; during the past five years Americans with similar education to illegal immigrants have experienced an increase in unemployment of over 1.3 million; and the prosecution of Shan Wei Yu earlier this year is just one example of how- far from not being able to hire legal American workers- employers skip the whole process and actively recruit illegal immigrants and an industry of human trafficking has replaced any legal means of job placement.

If you actually cared about America and doing the right thing, and actually were concerned about your constituents, you might have done the equitable thing in this whole matter, instead of the politically expedient one.

The normal platitudes of our elected officials won’t work this time Ms. Cantwell; citizens of the United States are becoming more and more educated about this issue. Law abiding citizens don’t take kindly to rewarding unrepentant lawbreakers; they don’t find happiness or satisfaction in the double standard that their elected officials seem to so carelessly endorse. They don’t enjoy thinking about how people who have consistently broken America’s laws for years are not held to the same tax and behavioural standards as American citizens, and they don’t appreciate being treated as second class when they are the true legal inhabitants of this country. They particularly don’t appreciate the fact that the laws of this country that their fathers, brothers and grandfathers so nobly defended are being treated in such a cavalier fashion, and so disrespectfully.

Ms. Cantwell, you have betrayed the promises you made to this country, this state and your constituents. Because you care so little for equity; because you care so little for laws that you feel you can brush them aside and then feed us a tired line that you mistakenly think we are too uneducated to combat, I promise- as much as I am able- to fight against your re-election and expose your thin facade of concern for what it is; the hubris of an elected official who feels she is above the electorate. I will tell all my friend and family the facts, I will write about them to the papers, I will comment on blog sites, and I will join with others to disassemble your veneer of disingenuousness. Someone who can so easily convince herself that pandering to foreign countries and instituting special treatment for lawbreakers isn’t worthy to sit in the Senate of this incredible country.

linlithgow on May 27, 2006 at 1:17 PM

Aren’t we tired of the “Maveric” John McCain yet?

Snake307 on May 27, 2006 at 3:54 PM

You know, I almost can’t wait for the Republican primary’s..I can’t wait to see how he’s going to try to spin his way around this. I mean, President Jorge calling the minutemen a bunch of vigilantes sent me right through the ceiling..but what can I do about him? McCain has to pander to us racist klukker’s for our votes; how’s he going to explain this? Ah, who cares? I’m not voting for him anyway.

austinnelly on May 29, 2006 at 2:41 PM