Video highlights: Bush and Blair on terrorism and democracy

posted at 10:14 pm on May 25, 2006 by Allahpundit

Two guys whom George Galloway says deserve to be blown to pieces explain what’s at stake in Iraq.

They’re not completely in sync, but close enough. Video of Bush discussing some of his regrets is here. Absurdly biased AP analysis of the press conference is here. Watch the video and judge for yourself whether it looks like they’ve “met their match.”

Update: The full video and transcript are now available at the White House website.

Comments

I’m sorry but I don’t get it.

For the second time, I can only see Vincente Fox and Tony Blair in this video.

Who is this “Bush”?

Am I losing my sight or what?

CatholicConservative on May 25, 2006 at 10:20 PM

Tony Blaire’s statement regarding the justification for the war and how he views the negative media coverage is, to me (a good ol’ boy from Texas, [haawwk ptui!]) no less than stunningly articulate, crystalizing the reality of the situation better than any similar attempt by any pundit I can think of. Bush did his best to keep up, and he did a respectable job of it. But Blair’s remarks resonated.

inmanjh on May 25, 2006 at 10:45 PM

Hey all, one of the first words out of Bushes mouth was an accurate description of out enemy. He called them,

“Islamic Fascists.”

To me, that seems to be a huge step towards clarity in defining our enemy. “War on Terror?” Come on. Smarter people than me have pointed out that that means nothing. We didn’t declare war on sneak attacks after Pearl Harbor.*

In WWII, we declared war on Germany and Nazis. We are finally getting to the same clarity.

I’m pretty sure that he may have said this phrase before, but it was the first time I heard it with my own ears, so I’m pretty happy about that.

If it wasn’t for HotAir, I would have never heard it at all…

(hey, I’ll admit it. I’m pulling this verbatim out of somebody’s mouth. I’m not sure who though)

EFG on May 25, 2006 at 10:56 PM

Dang. I just finished watching the whole thing. Screw cynicism. Just give me something to believe in. A cause.

These guys got it.

Awesome speech.

Yeah, President Bush screwed the pooch on the immigration issue. But I don’t care. To me, this is a bigger issue. It is THE issue. And Bush and Blaire have the courage of their convictions.

EFG on May 25, 2006 at 11:07 PM

Absurdly biased AP analysis of the press conference is right.

EFG on May 25, 2006 at 11:15 PM

I think Bush turned a corner tonight. He actually seemed genuine, which he hasn’t been able to pull off for months and months. It was good that he finally admitted some mistakes and handled questions without being obviously disingenuous.

Well done George…more of the same. Apologize for the immigration stance, admit the mistake and support the “secure the border first” movement. Am I dreaming? Is that even possible at this point?

MT on May 25, 2006 at 11:33 PM

It was great to see, and hear, both PM Blair and President Bush answering questions and clearing the air about the misconceptions being used by the media to attack our efforts in Iraq. Bush had a clear message for Iran also, which was great to hear.
But I think it won’t change much. Bush and Blair have been telling the truth for three years, and it hasn’t changed the Media’s purposeful disinformation campaign. If Main Stream Media were able to push in the clutch, find reverse and admit that they have been lying about Iraq for three years, they might re-gain my trust. But that would be humbling, and Media types would probably find it easier to praise Bush than humble themselves, admitting they were wrong. It must be killing some of them, to know that the news about a free democratic Iraq is positive, is wonderful…but doesn’t fit the ordained template.
As much as I appreciate President Bush’s efforts in the past six years, I don’t think I’m alone in looking forward to the end of his tenure as a lightning rod for Liberal hate and lies. Wasn’t it Vice President Nixon who said, “They won’t have ME to kick around anymore!”?

Doug on May 26, 2006 at 1:12 AM

At least the AP story calls itself an “analysis.” Still…wtf.

Alex K on May 26, 2006 at 1:38 AM

Alex K on May 26, 2006 at 1:38 AM

All that means is that once Bush is gone the torch will be passed to the next conservative who will be the new target for liberals to hate. This animosity toward conservatism will never end, but be redirected to a new candidate as time goes along.

Scorched_Earth on May 26, 2006 at 1:03 PM

American Enterprise Institute chides Bush “tyranny doctrine” in LATimes today;

The tyranny doctrine
From Tripoli to Beijing, President Bush has abandoned his bold pledge to support democracy.

LAST WEEK, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice announced, citing Tripoli’s renunciation of terrorism and intelligence cooperation. This ends a quarter-century diplomatic freeze. It also marks an effective end to the Bush doctrine.

At his second inauguration, President Bush declared: “The survival of liberty in our land increasingly depends on the success of liberty in other lands. The best hope for peace in our world is the expansion of freedom in all the world.”

Since that soaring pronouncement, the Bush administration has watched Egypt abrogate elections, ignored the collapse of the so-called Cedar Revolution in Lebanon and abandoned imprisoned Chinese dissidents; now Washington is mulling a peace treaty with Stalinist North Korea.
—–
The many foreign dissidents and reformers who took Bush at his word are the first to pay the price for Washington’s lack of backbone. They were told that if they took risks for freedom, the U.S. would stand with them. Letting them down will make it all the more difficult to find democratic allies. Brave individuals are the real building blocks for transitions to democracy. Without them, as we have learned in Iraq, there are few alternatives to the tyranny that threatens us all.
—–
Think maybe Dan Cohen would agree?

Or maybe Army Sgt. Philip Bergstrom’s mom?

Bergstrom said Bush does not have the moral authority to do that. “It wasn’t his child on board of that plane,” she said. “I feel like he’s turned his back on us.”

Terp Mole on May 26, 2006 at 1:05 PM