The Jefferson Investigation: Race Card Makes a Cameo

posted at 2:01 pm on May 25, 2006 by Bryan

The Congressional Black Caucus races to the race card brink, turns back. For now:

Furious black lawmakers, rallying behind Rep. William Jefferson (D-La.), were pulled back from the brink of open revolt against House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in an emergency meeting with her yesterday.

The meeting with a handful of CBC members was called after Pelosi wrote the embattled lawmaker, who is at the center of a massive bribery scandal, a curt note requesting his immediate resignation from the powerful Ways and Means Committee.

Outraged that one of its members was being picked on even though he has not been charged with a crime, the Congressional Black Caucus had intended to issue a defiant statement against their leader but agreed after the meeting to pause, at least briefly, for reflection.

“Picked on?” The man was allegedly caught on tape taking 100 large in bribes and has stonewalled the investigation since at least last September. Yet he still retains not only his seat in Congress but his spot on Ways and Means. If anything, the man in behaving like a petty tyrant:

Earlier this week, Pelosi approached Jefferson and told him that she thought he should resign, according to a Democratic aide. Later, at the Democratic caucus meeting yesterday morning, she took him into a side room and told him that she had prepared a letter calling on him to resign the committee seat and that she would allow him one hour to withdraw gracefully before she sent it, according to the aide. In both instances, Jefferson remained defiant.

Pelosi’s one-sentence missive to Jefferson called on him to vacate his committee seat “in the interest of upholding the high ethical standard of the House Democratic Caucus.”

Jefferson promptly refused, calling her request “discriminatory” and “unprecedented,” and suggested that she was employing a double standard by failing to ask other lawmakers facing ethics questions to relinquish their committee assignments. Rep. Alan Mollohan (D-W.Va.) has come under fire for earmarks he secured through his seat on the Appropriations Committee.

Mollohan already stepped down on his own. So I’m not sure what Jefferson’s argument is, but it’s about as persuasive as Hastert’s reading of the Constitution.

Update (Allahpundit): Play it, damn you! Play it!

mckinney-racecard.jpg

Comments

Well this is something new, the Dems calling each other Raceist. The Dems are making progress.

birdman on May 25, 2006 at 2:15 PM

Blacks should take a good look at what is coming to town! Millions of Mexicans will soon become the biggest political group with a single voice, thanks to the Democrats and liberal Republicans.

This is not the time to play race card! Blaming everything from academic failure to high crime rate on race is just unconvincing. This is time to weed out the bad dudes and clean house.

Easy87us

easy87us on May 25, 2006 at 2:28 PM

Innocent by Race. The new American defense.

pat on May 25, 2006 at 2:29 PM

easy87us: “Blaming everything from academic failure to high crime rate on race is just unconvincing.”

Come on folks. Let us not equate high crime rates (which, if you do your research, has as much to do with the inequality of law as the action) and poor educational achievement (it’s only been 40 years and a generation away: segregation has a lot to do with this) with the corruption of a nuckfut on Capitol Hill.

As a black American, I cannot stand when the race card is played (like in McKinney & Jefferson’s cases). But I also can’t stand it when people put blanket assumptions on an entire community based on the nuckfuttery of two black people. Give it a rest. Now.

TheThink on May 25, 2006 at 2:42 PM

The Think, please understand that, from an Asian American immigrant’s point of view, I do not have the guilt feeling to point out the problem with the black people today. So you have to understand where I am coming from. This is the land of opportunity to me, not a land of suppression. I worked my butt to pay for my tuition through college. There was little federal assistance 30 years ago!

May be that is the main reason I don’t see your point.

Easy87us

easy87us on May 25, 2006 at 2:54 PM

Of COURSE, it’s racist!

Every time a black politician gets him or herself into a legal mess, it becomes “racist!”

Never mind that Cynthia McKinney walloped a police officer, it was her HAIR that made her do it.

Never mind that Congresman Jefferson emptied his home of we don’t know what, using National Guard troops, the FLOOD made him do it.

Never mind that Al Sharpton didn’t pay his taxes and lied about it, TAWANA BRAWLEY made him do it.

For those of you who do not know who Tawana Brawley is, look her up in Google. You’ll get a lesson in how the race card is REALLY played.

Jefferson needs to go to jail if found guilty, Hastert needs to button his lip NOW, and all the rest of Congress, even all 535 if necessary, need to follow the exit sign if similarly guilty. This bunch of self-serving blowhards is a collective embarrasment to us all!

ForYourEdification on May 25, 2006 at 2:55 PM

The Think:

“Nuckfuttery” was just added to my lexicon. Shoot, I might use that as a name for a blog.

see-dubya on May 25, 2006 at 2:57 PM

easy87us,

It would do you well to read Massey & Denton’s “American Apartheid: Segregation and the Perpetuation of the Underclass”. It debunks a lot of myths surrounding the so called “land of opportunity” you speak of. This isn’t the forum for discussion on the topic. But you should give it a whirl. History is as ever present today as today is present. Enough about that.

see-dubya,

I demand 5% of all the proceeds you get from using Nuckfuttery! Ha!

TheThink on May 25, 2006 at 3:03 PM

The Think:

Is “Nuckfuttery” in the same dictionary as “edumication?”

Please remember before you hurl accusations that the only people who put black people in a disparaging light ARE black people!

Opportunists and aggressive bigots like Louis Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and Julian Bond for instance, do a DISservice – not a service to the blacks they purport to represent.

And people like Cynthia McKinney and Congresman Jefferson do them grave, irreparable harm.

And please! In the future, use words that are in an American dictionary — so that we may understand your meaning and appropriately respond.

ForYourEdification on May 25, 2006 at 3:09 PM

As a former white police officer (I’m still white,just no longer a cop!) the race card gets played more than you can imagine. I was so thankful when I had enough seniority that I could pick what part of town I could work in. Not to avoid black people, but because NO ONE would help you on ANYTHING (unless it benefitted them). The minute you did do something it was ALWAYS racism. It couldn’t be because the person just shot a guy. So, for those of you who don’t think it gets played that much…hardee hardee har.

I find it amazing that you don’t hear about this with none of the other races in this country. Are black Americans the only ones who are “targeted” by the “the man”? Why aren’t Native Americans targeted? What about Asians?

By the way, I can’t be racist because I have Cherokee blood in me…only you pure white dudes can be racists! HA.

hoosier_federalist on May 25, 2006 at 3:11 PM

That’s what happens when disenfranchised voters elect their best and brightest to the Congress. Similar effect with Illegal immigrant children in our schools. Too bad for us that a convoy is only as fast as it’s slowest ship.

The worm turns.

Shmo on May 25, 2006 at 3:25 PM

In Jefferson’s case, the color that will take him down is green. As in the $90,000 found in his freezer. I’m amazed that he’s dealing with people in Nigeria. I always thought Nigerians just dealt with people through e-mail scams telling you a relative died in a car crash there and left you $13,000,000 in a Nigerian bank that needs to be claimed with their help. All they need is your social security number, bank account number, driver’s license number, credit card numbers, phone number and mayne $5,000 in “modalities” as the last one I got mentioned, in order to collect it. Does this mean Jefferson got SCAMMED? HAHAHAH. Damn. Another one bites the dust.

clyde on May 25, 2006 at 3:28 PM

ForYourEdification,

So words that are not in a standard English dictionary should not be used? How do you feel about Hot Air using the phrase “Assphant”? Is this in a dictionary?

And, if I were to invert the F and the N in Nuckfuttery, you would get the point. Your sentiments are exactly what I was saying. Read what I posted already. I said that I, as a black American, cannot stand it when other black Americans play the race card. But the fact that you are using a handful of blacks to describe the psyche of black Americans as a whole…that’s just…dangerous, and misguided.

hoosier_federalist,

“Why aren’t Native Americans targeted? What about Asians?”

Because the Native Americans are dead.

Asians are America’s “model minority”.

And actually, black Americans are targeted by certain laws. You were in law enforcement. Tell me, why does the crack form of cocaine have a higher sentence than the powdered (cosmopolitan) form of cocaine? Isn’t it cocaine?

My main point:

This has everything to do with idiot politicians and very little to do with the black community as a whole. A handful of “black leaders” do not speak for 35 million people. Does George W. speak for “White America”. My mother’s family would say no (I am biracial, to clarify). What I am saying is that these idiot politicians, who happen to also be black, do not speak for my way of living. They speak for the absolutely corrupt, which ironically enough, is probably far more White-washed on Capitol Hill, by virtue of sheer numbers.

And that, my friends, is Nuckfuttery.

TheThink on May 25, 2006 at 3:33 PM

You could also swap out the CK for the TT and get another similar meaning.

Much like dhimmicrats and retardicans, there are plenty of words that aren’t “official” but make plenty of sense if you think about them for a bit.

And if you are one of the unfortunate few who don’t know what a dhimmi is (or maybe fortunate, after all you don’t have to be nauseated by knowing how horribly muslims treat non-muslims), here is a good (if maybe not 100% accurate) link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhimmi

RH

RobertHuntingdon on May 25, 2006 at 3:42 PM

Isn’t Mr Jefferson lucky? As a congressman his crimes are protected by the Old Boy Network. As a black his crimes are protected by the race card.

Let’s see. How can we spin this bribery into a racial incident?

“KKK thugs broke into my house and forced me, under duress, to take $100,000. While the money was being transferred to me, KKK allies, the FBI, videotaped the entire transaction. ‘Please don’t do this’ I remonstrated ‘think of all the poor and starving women and children who really need this money.’ But it was to no avail.
“There I was stuck with a hot $100,000. In fact the money was so ‘hot’ that I stuck $90,000 of it into the freezer to cool off. I kept $10,000 of it to give the area homeless people on my way to the police station to report this racial incident.”

MaiDee on May 25, 2006 at 3:46 PM

The Think,

Why do you have to be a Black American in the first place?! Why can’t you just say you’re an American? Can’t you see that in itself is divisive and seperatist?

Asians are the “model minority?” Come on. Don’t make excuses for a community’s successes or failures. My wife is an American of Asian decent. I have seen first hand how members of her family have seen the opportunity and taken advantage of it, rather than succumb to a self-perpetuating mentality of victimhood and entitlement.

It all comes down to this: it doesn’t matter what color Jefferson’s skin is. The allegations are serious for a member of ANY RACE.

BirdEye on May 25, 2006 at 3:56 PM

Separatist…I mistyped the nature of your behavior.

: )

BirdEye on May 25, 2006 at 3:59 PM

the Think–

Sorry to divert this thread so far from Jefferson, but you hit a nerve with me on the crack penalty. Black lawmakers in particular demanded that the government crack down on it because it was destroying inner cities in the late 80′s–still is. Crack is targeted at people who are less able to afford to deal with its effects, and therefore is a more pernicious drug. It’s also more potent and more addictive, gram-for-gram, than powder cocaine. It’s a different drug, like morphine and heroin–though both come from opium.

But if the converse were true, and crack dealers were punsihed less than regular cocaine dealers, accusations of racism would be, I think, better-founded–as that would send the message that it’s OK to prey on black consumers.

OK, sorry, back to William Jefferson. What’s up with that guy?

see-dubya on May 25, 2006 at 3:59 PM

Have we ever heard what happened to the grand jury about McKinney? Or has it been pushed under the rug?

Enoxo on May 25, 2006 at 4:01 PM

BirdEye,

Actually, Asians are viewed as the “model minority” in the States. There is a vast amount of scholarship on the subject. I actually thing the phrase is idiotic and serves no real social purpose other than to divide people.

Re: Why do I have to be a “black American”? Because the phrase “race card” has been fiercely used in this thread. It amazes me that you would even ask the question, given the fact that MaiDee so eloquently gave their KKK fiction involving Jefferson. That’s why I “have to be a black American”. Because America perceives me as a black American, just as they pereive Michelle as a “Yellow Woman Doing A White Man’s Job”. The perception of race is an all too powerful fuel in this nation. Surely you don’t believe otherwise.

see-dubya,

Your information re:black lawmakers proves to me that “black leaders” do not speak for black America. Listen, I’ll be the first one in line saying that illegal=illegal, no matter WHO does it. But class-based laws, in a nation where class is so strongly correlated with race, is just stupid. Put the lawyers and the doctors doing powder in jail as long as the crackheads on the corner doing crack. Bad is bad. Why put a different penalty on crack than cocaine? Punish everyone EQUALLY. The fact that you bring up black lawmakers suggests that black people can only be led by “black leaders” which is not the case. Black leaders speak for my mother, who is White, also. Leaders are leaders. Corruption is corruption.

Back to your question…

TheThink on May 25, 2006 at 4:09 PM

It was bound to happen
Pathetic
This victimization attitude is starting to now bite the butts of those who created it. And now they’re learning its a damn shame

Defector01 on May 25, 2006 at 4:31 PM

TheThink

Of course segregation has a lasting effect. Look at Africa. Life there was so good they didn’t need to change a thing there for thousands of years until the whites showed up and screwed up everything.

Shmo on May 25, 2006 at 4:33 PM

The Think,

I don’t think of you as a Black American, unless you point it out to me. I don’t think of Michelle as a “yellow woman doing a white man’s job” as you pointed out either.

When you learn that not everyone in America looks at you that way, you will perhaps look at yourself in a light based less on color.

Just try not to make it an issue, and it usually won’t become one.

BirdEye on May 25, 2006 at 4:49 PM

BirdEye,

“Not everyone” is the key phrase in your argument that makes it fall short of validity. What I wished you had said was “No one”. This is what we as America should strive for. This is what Dr. King strived for. You all know the speech. Until NO ONE looks at me “that way”, your solution of “try[ing] not to make it an issue” is pretty much null and void — and an argument that comes with priveledge.

TheThink on May 25, 2006 at 4:54 PM

Human Nature will prevent that from ever happening…so do your part and try not to make it an issue like McKinney did…like I do my part when I try to think of you as a human, then an American, and then Black…

BirdEye on May 25, 2006 at 5:06 PM

M.L. King said “a man should be judged by the content of his character, not the color of his skin.” That dream has been a double edged sword that hasn’t always worked out the way King wanted. Horizontal discrimination seems to be the biggest problem that won’t seem to go away.

Shmo on May 25, 2006 at 5:08 PM

“so do your part and try not to make it an issue like McKinney did…like I do my part when I try to think of you as a human, then an American, and then Black…”

How about just a human, or a man? I’d be happy with that. And I, as I always have, will return the same to you (in the general sense).

Shmo,

I could not agree with you more.

TheThink on May 25, 2006 at 5:31 PM

The Think,
I know you felt it was important based on the thread to point out that you were a “Black American”. I would at least like to compliment you on that view as opposed to refering to yourself as an “African-American”, a term I find repulsive. American of African decent would bother me in the least. When I look at Michelle I see a lovely lady of asian decent who is a true American. What you say and how you act defines someone to me. Re: Shmo’s comment above.

brtex on May 25, 2006 at 5:36 PM

I think I have finally agreed with you, The Think – just a human or a man would work for me too.

Good point brtex…that’s like me calling myself an Irish-American…how ridiculous.

Nice to see some agreement before leaving for the day…

BirdEye on May 25, 2006 at 5:41 PM

*Wipes the sweat off of his brow*

I’m glad we came to some understanding.

Re: African-American v. black American. It’s been a long debate in the community for some time. I find myself slipping and saying AfAm sometimes but I prefer to use black American. I am an American. I love my country. Point blank.

TheThink on May 25, 2006 at 5:55 PM

Hey, TheThink?

I thought “NuckFuttery” was an awesome word.

You got splodydope and arafish and “GAZE” at LGF.

Why not Nuckfuttery?

Start a trend!!! Demand your Nuckfuttery! Now in regular creamy and extra nutty!

EFG on May 25, 2006 at 6:36 PM

Sorry. After all the understanding, I have to throw in a wrench. Asian people HAVE used the race card, and it works, or at least it worked for the Hmong guy in Minnesota (Wisconsin?)who murdered 6 hunters on their own land in cold blood because he says the hunters said something racist to him. I don’t know if he got a fair trial, but he definetly got special treatment in the media.
So did the Arab NC college kid who mowed down his classmates at the student union because, even though he grew up American, he’s upset about how Arabs are allegedly being treated somewhere. THAT one didn’t make the MSM news either.
I love Americans who love their country and refuse to be victims.

NTWR on May 25, 2006 at 6:41 PM

Amen brotha.

BirdEye on May 26, 2006 at 11:38 AM

The way I see it there is no race issue here and there are only two classes emerging here … those who are members of Congress and those who are not. Jefferson is grasping the race issue because he cannot say what he really believes, which is “As a member of the Legislative Branch of Government I am immune to any other branch enforcing the laws of the United States.” This would not play well on the Evening News.

Other members of Congress without regard to race are stepping up to agree with him because they too are in danger of being investigated in connection with various unfolding scandals. Setting a precedent in the Jefferson matter would be beneficial to any Congressman who happens to be investigated in the future.

DJ Dubya on May 27, 2006 at 3:48 PM