Fleet Week air stunt freaks out New Yorkers

posted at 4:45 pm on May 25, 2006 by Allahpundit

Me being one of them. At around 9:30 this morning, I heard the sound of a jet approaching overhead. Not unusual: I live by LaGuardia Airport. But it kept coming and coming, and within a few seconds it was so loud and low that I honestly thought it was going to crash in my neighborhood. Car alarms were going off in the street outside from the vibration. I assumed it was a commercial airliner in distress, but other people had even scarier assumptions.

Anyway, nothing to worry about. There’s video at the link that explains what LGF’s correspondent saw.

For future reference, though: low-flying aircraft + New York City = not a good idea.

Comments

I used to live on the lakefront in Chicago in a 50-story tall apartment building facing the lake. One Saturday morning I was sitting on my couch having coffee and reading the paper when I looked up and was face to face with an F-16 jet fighter coming straight at me (I was on the 41st floor). Needless to say, my cat blew up to twice size and spent the day under the bed and I dropped the coffee. Turned out it was Fleet Week or Airshow Weekend, and the planes were using my building as a pylon to turn around and go back along the lakefront. You have not LIVED until you look up the backend of an F-16 hauling away from you. OR, coming straight at you. Cat still doesn’t like planes.

clyde on May 25, 2006 at 4:54 PM

Hmmm. I see your point, Allahpundit.

However, just as a side note, (and it isn’t comparable to what you mentioned) often times when civilians would complain about the noise that the military was making around the military base, our general unofficial reply as individuals was “Noise? That’s the sound of Freedom, baby!”

However, as I mentioned above, I do see your point. You weren’t expecting this. Where as the civilians I am referring to chose to live around a military base, which pretty much means that noise is inevitable.

EFG on May 25, 2006 at 5:06 PM

EFG — I braced for impact. That’s how low they were.

Allahpundit on May 25, 2006 at 5:12 PM

Yeah, it sounds like that was pretty harsh.

And let me just re-emphasize here. That little story I told wasn’t supposed to come across as a snide way of saying “quit yer gripping”, although I can see how it could be interpreted that way. I will now beat myself about the head, neck and chest as penance for my lousy posting manners. ;-)

EFG on May 25, 2006 at 5:19 PM

Must’ve been fun to watch though when the panic stopped.
I’m right by MCAS Miramar and I still love watching the Hornets fly. But yeah, none of them ever buzzed downtown San Diego or my school or anything. Hope your heart’s doing ok allahpundit

Defector01 on May 25, 2006 at 6:09 PM

I worked until 3 AM this morning.

Thought I’d catch up on some sleep this AM. Geeze guys – 3 passes? OK, I’m up!

I’d read up on Fleet Week, and knew what it was.

I’ve spent some time on 4 carriers as a contractor-(I’ve never served a day.) I leaned to sleep with F-14′s hitting the 3 wire above my pillow.

I regret being too out of ut to see it, but I caught 2 Hornets this afternoon making slow passes around town for what I assume were photo ops, judging by the chase plane.

Thanks guys, (and ladies) have a good time in town, and if you are in uniform and old enough, a round on me.

Wander on May 25, 2006 at 6:15 PM

This is much ado about nothing. Out my apartment window I saw a cargo plane being closely follwed by 4 planes of various types and vintages. One was an A-10 Warthog, another an F-14 or maybe An F-18 and I believe there were 1 or 2 World War II vintage fighter (Hellcat?). The planes made 5 passes near my apartment–relatively slow circles. Very little noise and absolutely no panic. Being Fleet Week the planes were all Naval or Marine aircraft.

MaiDee on May 25, 2006 at 7:21 PM

“Pardon our noise – that’s the sound of FREEDOM!”

Richard Davis on May 25, 2006 at 9:44 PM

Oh, Clyde, how I wish you had had a running Nanny Cam! ROTFL!!!

Aunt B on May 26, 2006 at 10:38 AM

Those freakin’ out were not true New Yorkers! True New Yorkers were the ones betting on which would crash first and, if one did, how long it would take the wreckage to cool so they could sell the scrap aluminum!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 26, 2006 at 2:22 PM

Clyde, you may want to get your cat some psychological couseling. P.T.S.D. isn’t just for people you know.

I understand that there are numerous organizations who specialize in the sort of long-term, yet essential psychological counseling for animals.

I am sure they will be quite expensive, but your cat will thank you for it. Have you notified the military about the trauma your cat endured? I am sure they will be able to point you in the right direction for help. Perhaps they have a task force all their own that deals with this issue.

EFG on May 26, 2006 at 4:02 PM