Yearly Kos: the promo video

posted at 3:19 pm on May 23, 2006 by Allahpundit

Let’s say you were going to design a promo for a big nutroots family reunion. How would you do it?

Would you … accuse the president of racism? Check.

yearlykos015.jpg

Would you … imply that U.S. troops are targeting children? Check.

yearlykos011.jpg

Would you … “get out in front of the news cycle” by showing Karl Rove being hauled away? Check.

yearlykos013.jpg

Would you … display newspaper headlines alleging a 9/11 conspiracy? Check.

yearlykos010.jpg

So far, so good. Naturally you’d also use lots of quick cuts to simulate anarchy and then sync it all up to Rage Against the Machine, just to ensure that it’s wholly derivative. To really make this a killer, though, you’d have to top it off with something so stupid and offensive that, were right-wing bloggers to try it, lefties wouldn’t know whether to laugh or scream.

How about … presenting bloggers as daaaaaangerous military weapons?

yearlykos009.jpg

yearlykos004.jpg

yearlykos002.jpg

yearlykos017.jpg

yearlykos008.jpg

Imagine how a promo for, say, a Powerline convention would be received if it featured ammo clips or B-2s with the words “Little Green Footballs,” “Ace of Spades,” “Captain’s Quarters,” “Protein Wisdom,” etc., burned in. And when you’re done with that, riddle me this: if they’re all anti-war over there, for whom, exactly, are these bullets intended?

You can’t be a chickenhawk if you’re not a hawk, but you sure can be an effete, bourgeois faux-revolutionary poseur. See you at Starbucks, kids. Don’t forget to wear your Che shirts.

The whole video is here. Doesn’t look like they commissioned it, but they’re happy to host it all the same. And in case you haven’t seen it yet, here’s Kos’s shiny-happy-people ad for nutroots hearthrob Ned Lamont. Note how different is the face these cretins present to mainstream television audiences from the one they show each other online.

Comments

…still waiting for that inevitable Iraqi Civil War to break out…

/yawn

venmax on May 23, 2006 at 3:57 PM

Hello venmax.

I’m not trying to pick a fight here, but Michael Yon would disagree with that assesment.

Very respectfully,

EFG on May 23, 2006 at 4:06 PM

Of course, my comment is completely off topic from the one that Allahpundit put up, so perhaps I should have kept quiet. I don’t wanna sidetrack things.

Sorry.

EFG on May 23, 2006 at 4:07 PM

Dude, they’re rhetorical warriors. They’ll stun you with arguments, blind you with truth, and flatten you with logic.

see-dubya on May 23, 2006 at 4:37 PM

“But Mr. Greenspan, where are the WMD’s!?”

Could someone please find the video of a congresswoman asking Greenspan this question in the House a few years back? I want to add it to my promotional video for Stupid-Con 2K6.

Vincenzo on May 23, 2006 at 4:43 PM

When you said bloggers as weapons, I assumed you meant they were showing conservative blogs as evil weapons.

But no. The left wing blogs are the weapons. Ah, okay. The mental image I get is of flowers popping out of a gun.

I’ll await the Photoshop of *that*!

MamaAJ on May 23, 2006 at 5:08 PM

Michael Yon kicks ass no doubt.

But “Full Blown Civil War”?

Like Korea?

Like Viet Nam?

Like Yugoslavia?

/yawn

Just more terrorists blowing up grocery shoppers.

In fact – I submit to you this much: Iraq is the new Israel

Go back in time before the Iraq invasion. Hell, go further back than that. Go back 20 or 30 years. When it came to Islamic Fascism and Terrorism what did you think about? What was the first thing that came to your mind? What dominated our news cycles incessantly?

Israel.

“Another bomb blast in Israel today”.

“Another suicide bomber in Israel today”.

“Another bus blown up in Israel today”.

“Another 40 innocent people exploded in Israel today”.

“Another shopping center decimated in Israel today”.

It was all you ever heard about Israel. It was all anybody ever knew about Israel. Nowadays where the hell is Israel on the MSM’s nightly news casts?

GONE.

Ever since we kicked Saddam out of power…. GONE.

Now you can take every one of those sentences I wrote up there and replace the word “Israel” with “Iraq”.

And that’s a GOOD thing!

Let’s face it – what this means is that the main front in the war on terror has moved from Jerusalem to Baghdad. What we are finally seeing for the first time since the end of WWII is that what the Islamic Fascists REALLY hate aren’t the Jews – it’s FREEDOM. They will blow innocent Muslim children to bits just as quickly as they would innocent Jewish children.

What’s more is that those God-Forsaken European Anti-Semites that infest the U.N. can’t sit there and blame the Jews for how f*cked-up-in-the-head the Palestinians are anymore. Day after day after day those filthy fascist worms blow up more and more Muslims for all the world to see.

They can’t hide behind Israel anymore. The world sees them very plainly for the animals that they are.

venmax on May 23, 2006 at 5:09 PM

They are weapons. Weapons of mass Democratic candidate destruction.

Keep backing those winners Kos!

Sarah D. on May 23, 2006 at 5:52 PM

He (or his minions) was/were over in the Hart Senate Office Building pasisng out his books to the Senate offices today. That 100 copies ought to double his exposure of that drivel.

E5infantry on May 23, 2006 at 6:06 PM

Yeah, the Kos machine has fired nothing but blanks so far. That’s not likely to change significantly anytime soon.

Mike O on May 23, 2006 at 7:45 PM

Stephen Colbert is *SO* radical dude!

LOL…

The Ugly American on May 23, 2006 at 8:32 PM

I don’t know… it’s probably cheaper than primal scream therapy.

CrankyNeocon on May 23, 2006 at 9:12 PM

VW runs a great Passat ad where people “compensate” with fancy cars.

Kosskiddies really have ammo envy … the Jesse Macbeth syndrome.

Darleen on May 23, 2006 at 10:19 PM

test

Darleen on May 23, 2006 at 10:20 PM

I really liked the sound of the shell hitting the ground at the end… who did they just shoot?

theholyhermit on May 23, 2006 at 11:10 PM

What? No shots of Kos tweaking his girlish nipples?

Color me disappointed.

Love and kisses,
Ned Lamont

Professor Blather on May 23, 2006 at 11:20 PM

Ya know it’s easy for them to sit back on their collective fat behinds and be clever.
God knows they got the time.

Cpilot on May 24, 2006 at 2:18 AM

Amazing what the koskids can do in their mothers’ basements.

Capitalist Infidel on May 24, 2006 at 4:01 AM

Guns don’t kill people, weapons of Kos destruction kill people (or Democrat candidates)

or something like that…

jcon96 on May 24, 2006 at 7:19 AM

geez…….maybe dailykos should be renamed the “dailyloser” and the video the “yearlyloss”

darwin on May 24, 2006 at 9:25 AM

Out of idle curiosity — and it’s very, very idle — anyone know why Kos’s site is popular?

I looked around a bit and don’t get it. His writing seems mediocre at best. He’s a twenty-something vaguely fruity self indulgent slacker kid that would look more at home bagging my groceries than attempting to have a serious thought.

Why do liberals dig his site? I really don’t get it. Of course, I really don’t care, either. But feel free to enlighten me, if you’re bored and better informed than I am.

Professor Blather on May 24, 2006 at 9:58 AM

Did I just read a comment from the Professor? Is that you? Where have you been hiding? ~B

Brian on May 24, 2006 at 12:12 PM

I’m sure that pink will be the color of the day for the “Yearly Kos Surrender Fest”

William Teach on May 24, 2006 at 12:17 PM

Why do liberals dig his site?

I second that question. When he broke into Ned Lamont’s house in that stupid ad, I wondered: am I supposed to know who that is? On sight? Is he on TV a lot?

Heck, when I’m in the mood for some really insightful, well written Bush-bashing, I crack open National Review.

saint kansas on May 24, 2006 at 1:30 PM

Why do liberals dig their website?
Because all the little parakeets can fume together and read articles from other delusional little cockatees

Defector01 on May 24, 2006 at 4:20 PM

My word! I consider myself a liberal but in the more classical sense and definitely not in the hypocritical and illogical sense that these people present for themselves.

Blenster on May 26, 2006 at 1:34 PM