Crap sandwich: Truthout issues “partial apology” for Rove story

posted at 12:21 am on May 20, 2006 by Allahpundit

I promised there’d be gloating if they were wrong, and a-gloatin’ there shall be!

(But not too much. The guy might still be indicted, after all.)

Here’s their wormy apology. Note:

1. They waited until 4:30 on Friday afternoon to post it.

2. They posted it in their forum instead of on the front page, where all their Rove stories have been advertised. In fact, as of this writing, the Rove story they’re apologizing for is still linked on the front page with no mention of the partial retraction. Here’s a screencap; I added the red arrow:

truthout.png

3. “[W]e erred in getting too far out in front of the news-cycle” instantly joins “fake but accurate” in the pantheon of inane bullshit spouted by journalists who won’t cop to their own mistakes/malfeasance. Congratulations, guys.

Thanks for the heads up to Dan Riehl, who’s seizing this opportunity to get out in front of the news cycle on a bunch of stories.

Update: Goldstein gets out in front of the news cycle on Carmen Electra.

Comments

Well, they felt (hoped) like it’d happen. Isn’t that good enough?

gmoonster on May 20, 2006 at 12:23 AM

The libs would indict Rove on charges of doing nothing if they thought they could get away with it.

birdman on May 20, 2006 at 1:27 AM

Another chapter in the liberals endless saga to fire somebody from the Bush administration.

When are these asshats going to learn that’s NOT gonna happen?

When are these asshats going to learn that it takes COHERENT logic and VALID ideology to win elections?

Not soon enough I’m afraid…

venmax on May 20, 2006 at 1:45 AM

Where is the resignation? I know there was a promise of a resignation if the story did not pan out…

I guess that ‘reporters’ word was as good as his sources, eh? No suprise there. Hahaha…

DannoJyd on May 20, 2006 at 3:25 AM

“We erred in getting too far out in front of the news-cycle.”

That is absolutely priceless. Someone should paint those words on canvas and hang them alongside the Dali paintings in a museum.

No wonder I get so pissed when I hear the libs invoke Orwell and “1984.”

I can’t wait to start using that line in conversation. “Honey, I thought I told you to take the trash out.” “Sorry, baby, I erred in getting too far out in front of the news-cycle!”

saint kansas on May 20, 2006 at 6:59 AM

Want fries with that sandwich?

clyde on May 20, 2006 at 7:01 AM

I am not allowed to do a REAL Vent here…so I will just say this…the next time someone tells me that the MSM is NOT biased I will just explain POLITLEY, that the issue is simple hatred of George Bush and anything he touches. You may agree with me if you wish. Thank you for listening and then I will calmly walk away to find a padded room in which to my SCREEMING!!!!!!!! ;-0

Sandys Beach on May 20, 2006 at 7:36 AM

..I stand slightly corrected..this was just a rag and not the MSM…same rules apply.

Sandys Beach on May 20, 2006 at 7:39 AM

That isn’t the news cycle in the rear view mirror, it’s the facts. If you look really closely, you can see Karl Rove getting into his car and heading home after a long day at the office.

I love leftists. For the comedy.

Pablo on May 20, 2006 at 8:18 AM

A better domain name would be http://www.wemakeupourowntruth.com

speed647 on May 20, 2006 at 8:32 AM

I started celebrating a Cavaliers win last night, but realized I had erred in getting too far out in front of the game-cycle. I mumbled a retraction to the bartender but he made me pay for the beer anyway.

right as rain man on May 20, 2006 at 8:35 AM

Gee, I thought that if an indictment was handed out, it was required to be served right away. I was unaware that indictments, warrants, or other court orders could be put in a drawer and ignored until some later future date.

Snake307 on May 20, 2006 at 8:48 AM

Considering over 80% of the congressmen indicted and convicted in past 20 years for corruption were Democrats, they should be hungry for a kill, even if it is a road side kill.

Unfortunate for them they went into a rhino instead, with thier little hybrid, of course.

Easy87us

easy87us on May 20, 2006 at 9:38 AM

Reporters, the ones who think they have the special abilities to forsee the future, should they get too far ahead of themselves, could be run over by actual news-cycles [risking possible damage to their little crystal balls].

Lamonte Thomas on May 20, 2006 at 10:37 AM

Don’t worry, the intrepid folks over there have figured it out — according to one comment, it’s (surprise) actually all Bush’s fault:

“…we’re living in a different time now one like we’ve never known before. The desparation and anxiety that has been created by this administration has generated such a sense of expediency to rid ourselves of this evil possibly there were hasty decisions made. We should use this as an unifying opportunity and turn it into an advantage.”

docob on May 20, 2006 at 10:52 AM

Actually, I think we ought to applaud Truthout.org for coming up wth the journalism all-purpose excuse. Almost as good as “It was like this when I got here.”

Carvin Guitar Man on May 20, 2006 at 11:06 AM

I do not want to see a Democrat win the Presidency.
I do not want Democrats to win a majority in Congress.
But if either of those things happened, even though the media would continue to lie, at least they would be Happy Lies:
“President’s approval rating skyrockets!
Hey! We’ve got a great economy!No idea how that happened!
Congress can be trusted with Democrats in power!
Howard Dean makes sense! (Okay-too far. Sorry.)”

Doug on May 20, 2006 at 11:14 AM

Someone told me that the gang from Truthout liked crap sandwiches.
Some might find adolescent humor in that statement but I can assure you it’s not true.
They don’t like bread!
har-dee-har!

Gault on May 20, 2006 at 12:30 PM

AllahPundit—The DUmmie FUnnies have been on top of this Fitzmas story from the get-go including the latest incarnation posted here. We didn’t use the term “crap sandwich” but one pretty close to it (along with the appropriate graphic). Hee! Hee! Check it out.

pjcomix on May 20, 2006 at 1:07 PM

A very sad sideline here is the reaction of the left (left their minds) , cheerful gleeful reaction by our Dems IN OFFICE, Hillary cheerleading. What a disgraceful reaction to something negative for our country, let alone to a leader or anyone in any office.
When did it become OK for our congress-people to publicly act like kindergartners on the playground, lying, cheating, calling for the demise of all opposed to them. The left and Dems in office have become a total embarrassment- for all of America. The world laughs at us, at least those that don’t want to kill us.
The Dems spend more of their time manipulating laws so they can write indictments, then they do trying to help existing Americans. If they used half of that creativity for good, we might get somewhere….well maybe not.
They’re screwing up my home, my country , my city, my land, my DREAMS and NOW they want to give it all to someone else. An alien who doesn’t even like my country.
Maybe that is the common thread, hate.
We must vote, and vote for the good of America. The Dems scare the crap out of me.
.Have a nice day!

shooter on May 20, 2006 at 1:16 PM

Faith-Based Journalism at its best….

rw on May 20, 2006 at 2:56 PM

pjcomix, thanks for such a funny link.

…imagine also a large wreath, made of dried horsemanure glued together, spray-painted in gold, with a banner across it, which reads “Truth Award to Truthout”

Entelechy on May 20, 2006 at 3:03 PM

Sandy’s Beach:

…the issue is simple hatred of George Bush and anything he touches

Amen. Next time someone tries to pin their angst and hatred on “the administration’s policies” or the “unjust” Iraq war, remind them that Letterman’s production company flashed up their “SNIPERS WANTED” “joke” right after Governor Bush had been nominated by the GOP.

They were just getting too far ahead of the moonbat cycle.

saint kansas on May 21, 2006 at 8:48 AM