Oliver Stone 9/11 movie trailer now available online

posted at 8:29 am on May 19, 2006 by Allahpundit

Here. Producers are using the old it’s-so-scary-it’s-dangerous ploy that was used to hype B-movie horror flicks in the 50s. Must be working: I can’t get any of the trailers to play, which is probably due to their servers being overwhelmed.

Update: What would we do without YouTube?

Update: Just watched it, and I couldn’t agree more with Goldstein’s correspondent. Utter bilge.

Comments

The Left wants us to forget. Having grown up on a steady diet of WWII movies, cartoons and television series, the absence of the arts in this country supporting our struggle against Islamic fascism is at the very least conspicuous.

Overpriced tickets and Nicolas Cage aside, I would stand on-line for hours to see a good war movie with our Marines taking it to the evil forces of Islam and my guess is that there are a “few” others that feel the same way.

Hening on May 19, 2006 at 8:51 AM

Riveting! OHHH NOOOOO! It’s the black screen of terror. I’m so scared. On a serious note, I hope this one is done as well as United 93. Well…without the studio dhimi-pandering crap.

y2church on May 19, 2006 at 8:53 AM

I find it curious that something like this — what should be a prestige picture in that it stars a semi-major figure like Nicolas Cage and a rising star like Maggie Gyllenhaal, was directed by Oliver Stone, and concerns the most high-profile historical event since the assassination of JFK — is being released in the traditional “dump month” of August.

Il Padrino on May 19, 2006 at 9:02 AM

Allah, do you have the QuickTime plugin installed?

Cage and Stone in one movie? Too much for the regular soul.

Ropera on May 19, 2006 at 9:09 AM

I’m not so sure it’s scary – just disturbing. I saw the trailer, and the scenes of the towers falling on the people, and some of them trapped alive is disturbing.

I hope they do a good job with this – we need to remember…

Mongo on May 19, 2006 at 9:14 AM

Call me crazy, but this movie looks pretty darn good based on the trailer. If he (the director) can focus on the heroism of the people and not get too political (fingers crossed), it could be terrific.

Frogbrother on May 19, 2006 at 9:23 AM

I can’t see the trailer. Must be getting high traffic at this time.

I don’t think even the Liberal Stone would be stupid enough to try and put too much of a political tone into this movie (I could be wrong tho) without fear of retribution from Americans who are still reeling from the effects of 9/11.

Scorched_Earth on May 19, 2006 at 9:36 AM

Saw the German trailer a few days ago.
Here’s the problem I have with Hollywood. Occasionally, they’ll put out a film that features simple, good people doing simple, good things. Like “Cinderella Man.” It was a great story about a man who fought and sacrificed for his family during hard times.
And who did they pick to play this simple good man? Russell Crowe! Sure I liked Gladiator and all but this seems to part of a pattern. Crow couldn’t get through to someone on the hotel phone so he threw it a bellman’s face, injuring him. He later paid the bellman a reported 100K!
I just read about Kevin Costner’s massage incident in Scotland that was almost covered-up.
Cage may be less of a degenerate than many in Hollywierd but isn’t he on his fourth or fifth marriage?
Hollywood has found out that we like to see stories about good people doing good things. Too bad they can’t find any REAL good people to play them!

Gault on May 19, 2006 at 9:37 AM

Watched the trailer last night. It looked pretty good but as Mongo said, disturbing. The sound of the plane roaring over the city. I’ll never forget that sound.

thebrokenchair on May 19, 2006 at 9:59 AM

Could be very good. Both Cage and Stone have the potential to make this a great movie (or a major catastrophe). I’m usually disappointed by Hollywood, but based on the trailer I’d go see this. It would be my first time in a theater since 98.

high_desert_wanderer on May 19, 2006 at 10:04 AM

I heard yesterday on the radio, that the mother of the main character did not approve of Stone using her sons final hours and minutes of his life in this film. She’s very upset by it and we don’t hear the MSM bitching and whining about whether this is “too soon”, or other such concerns. They did this with Flt.93, I believe, because it depicted them as heroes. I believe this will have a Bush bashing element to it, and therefor no outcry from the MSM as they did with 93. The left are counting on Stone to get their Bush digs in. I won’t be seeing it. Stone will not get a penny of blood money from me.

roninacreage on May 19, 2006 at 10:11 AM

The mother of the main character did not give her approval to Stone about using the last hours and minutes of her sons life in this movie. She’s pissed. The MSM has no qualms about whether this movie is “too soon” or not. Which raises red flags for me. It must have their leftist stamp of approval and is probably going to depict us and Pres. Bush in a negative light. Stone will not get a dime of blood money from me. How much of the films profits are going to the survivors funds etc.? Are the actors involved getting millions of dollors of blood money?

roninacreage on May 19, 2006 at 10:19 AM

Based on Oliver Stones politics, I will not see it until I have heard from others that have. I just invision more of the same old “bush reading storybooks to the children while we are being attacked” in the style of Michael Moron.

gary on May 19, 2006 at 10:42 AM

I saw it and it seemed to me that the movie may intend to focus more on the buried alive horror of the terrorist attack rather than the terrorist attack itself.

BelchSpeak on May 19, 2006 at 10:46 AM

I didn’t like it. It gave me a B type movie feeling, cheap. I think it really takes away from what really happened and is going to help mask what really happened with some bad acting and cheesy stunts.

I hope that they come out with a better trailer then this.

Shack on May 19, 2006 at 12:14 PM

The name Maggie Gyllenhaal rang a bell.

At the Tribeca preniere of another 911-related filmshe said the US has partial responsibility for 911

‘I think America has done reprehensible things and is responsible in some way and so I think the delicacy with which it’s dealt [in the film] allows that to sort of creep in’

she later issued this clarification

“9/11 was a terrible tragedy and of course it goes without saying that I grieve along with every American for everyone who suffered and everyone who died in the catastrophe,” the statement read. “But for those of us who were spared, it was also an occasion to be brave enough to ask some serious questions about America’s role in the world.”

That explains why she was cast in this oliver Stone film.

I couldn’t get the trailer to play, but having researched this, I can skip this movie

entagor on May 19, 2006 at 1:11 PM

here’s the rest of her quote, which was left out at the other site I quoted:

But for those of us who were spared, it is also an occasion to be brave enough to ask some serious questions about America’s role in the world. Because it is always useful, as individuals or nations, to ask how we may have knowingly or unknowingly contributed to this conflict. Not to have the courage to ask these questions is to betray the victims of 9/11.

entagor on May 19, 2006 at 1:15 PM

I didn’t watch the trailer and I’d need a good bit of convincing before I were to plunk down my cash and my time to see this film.

Hollywood, and Stone in particular, have no credibility when it comes to dealing with history (recent or long past).

Frankly, Stone’s existing body of work is so poor I don’t know why anyone would waste their time on anything he has been involved in.

dung.

Moose Dung on May 19, 2006 at 6:10 PM

John Podhoretz today in the New York Post:

… Stone’s last circulated commentary on the al Qaeda attack came on Oct. 6, 2001, when he appeared on a panel at Lincoln Center. He began ranting in terms that can only be described as insane about movie-studio bosses and their connection to the attacks. Sitting next to him was the essayist Christopher Hitchens.

Stone: “They control culture, they control ideas. And I think the revolt of September 11th was about ‘F— you! F— your order.’ ”

Hitchens: “Excuse me – ‘revolt’?”

Stone: “Whatever you want to call it.”

Hitchens: “It was state-supported mass murder, using civilians as missiles.”

Stone: “The studios bought television stations. Why? Why did the telecommunications bill get passed at midnight, a hidden bill at midnight? The Arabs have a point!” …

modifiedcontent on May 19, 2006 at 8:00 PM

I remember Maggie Gylenwhatshername saying something about how we had it comin’. How ironic that she’s in this movie. Her, along the Ollie directing, tells me not to waste my money. I look forward to the movies about our heroic Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors, Marines and CIA operatives liberating millions of oppressed people in Afghanistan and Iraq. Hello? Hollywood? Anybody home?

Condi ’08!