Breaking: Ahmadinejad to send a Letter to the Pope

posted at 11:31 am on May 18, 2006 by Bryan

As nearly every single character in the Star Wars universe says, “I have a bad feeling about this.”

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is writing a letter to Pope Benedict, following an unprecedented letter to U.S. President George W. Bush earlier this month, a newspaper said on Thursday.

“President Ahmadinjad’s second letter is for Pope Benedict and will be sent in the next days,” Jomhuri-ye Eslami newspaper, which is close to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, quoted unnamed sources as saying.

The newspaper gave no details of the letter’s content. Iranian officials were not available to comment.

In the first direct communication between the two countries’ presidents for more than two decades, Ahmadinejad wrote a long missive to Bush this month in which he questioned his commitment to Christian values and criticised U.S. foreign policy.

He also invited Bush to become a Muslim. And you would be wise to interpret the word “invite” to have a whiff of the mob inviting you to dinner at the end of a pier. Since al-Reuters doesn’t provide the context for these global pen pal missives, I will.

These letters are hardly unprecedented, as al-Reuters says. Their origins go all the way back to Mohammed, who often issued letters to the kings of lands he was about to attack to invite them to accept Islam before Mohammed would invade to convert them by the sword. Thus, the religion of peace spread far and wide. This, now second letter from the hand of Ahmadinejad is a da’wa–a call to Islam. It follows Mohammed’s traditional letters. Implicit in such letters is the threat that if the recipient doesn’t accept Islam voluntarily, he and his land will accept it by force. Or die resisting.

In Crazy Mahmoud’s mind, he has now written to the chief of the world’s top secular superpower and is writing to the chief of the world’s unbelieving (vis a vis Islam) religious superpower (there being no equivalent of the pope in Islam). He is inviting them both to accept Islam, both personally and on behalf of their nation and church. Unless I miss my guess, in the letter to Benedict he will be, in essence, calling upon the Catholic Church to accept Islam–or die.

These letters are not well-wishes for the holidays or get-to-know-you cultural exchanges. They are threats. Mahmoud has something planned, and it would seem to me to be in the latter stages of finalization before it goes forward.

Update (Allahpundit): Bryan beat me to the punch, so I’ll merely add that MEMRI has video of this tool ranting yesterday about “nuts and chocolates.” Click the image to watch. Kofi Annan, of all people, warned him afterwards to tone down the rhetoric, to which Ahmadinejad responded by accusing countries opposing Iran’s nuclear program of having mental problems.

nuts-and-chocolates.jpg

Comments

Bryan, I am thinking the same thing. I hope our elected officials are on the ball. I don’t think he’d be making these kinds of overtures if he wasn’t ready to do something about them.

Incidentally, it will be interesting to see the Pope’s response.

Jezla on May 18, 2006 at 11:46 AM

Since I’m not Catholic I’m not sure if the post can say this:

GO F*** yourself you lunatic!

Defector01 on May 18, 2006 at 12:04 PM

Yeah you can say it. I second it.

I wonder how B16 will respond.

Iblis on May 18, 2006 at 12:14 PM

I don’t know how B16 will respond. I’d like to see a response from B1, B2 and B52, though.

Kid from Brooklyn on May 18, 2006 at 12:18 PM

times certainly have changed. as a catholic growing up in the 50’s, i seem to remember that mohammed was considered a false prophet. perhaps the pope would comment on these and other matters when he writes back. now there’s a letter i’d like to read.

patrick neid on May 18, 2006 at 12:18 PM

Just what B16 needs, religion lessons from this nutcase! Yea I can see it now. Back to meatless Fridays with Purgatory will be opened for business once again!

If he’s not careful B16 could just call for the Roman Catholic version of Jihad. It’s a little thing called the 9th Crusade!!!!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 18, 2006 at 12:20 PM

I don’t know if B16 has the guts to ask for a B52 response. Pity.

RH

RobertHuntingdon on May 18, 2006 at 12:40 PM

lol- Kid
and Amen patrick!
…hehe Dread Pirate.

I sure would like to see more catholics and protestants just tell it like it is about ole Mo’ too.

Joe on May 18, 2006 at 12:46 PM

BTW if anyone wishes to use “The 9th Crusader” as a soubriquet, please help yourself! Besides, I always get a kick out of using the word soubriquet and I particularly like lemon!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 18, 2006 at 12:51 PM

I’m not Catholic, but this is a direct quote from the Catholic Catechism: “The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day” (CCC 841).
There! Our lesson for the day.

Doug on May 18, 2006 at 1:16 PM

I’m warming up to Ahmadinejad, mostly because I can say his name now. I have it on good authority he dots his “i’s” with little hearts so you know he can’t be all bad.

Actually, I’m not sure how old-school Pope Benedict is, but there may not be a reply.

GPE on May 18, 2006 at 1:26 PM

Doug,

Please don’t take that quote out of context. The “plan of salvation” includes ALL of mankind. That quote should not be read to suggest that Muslims get into heaven simply because they’re Muslim.

Sydney Carton on May 18, 2006 at 1:33 PM

I heard somewhere that he is trying to get the 12th imam to come back to earth, and he thinks the imam will come back quicker if the world is in chaos.

There’s the motive.

NTWR on May 18, 2006 at 1:36 PM

Mahmoud is simply playing the world’s MSM like the supple fiddle it is in the hands of Islamist radicals. That was his purpose with the “letter” to Bush, and, seeing all the sympathy it got him (a LOT!), he’s doing a follow up. When the time comes to wipe out this evil regime, he wants to make sure he has at least as much sympathy as Saddam was able to muster from the world’s useful idiots. He’ll probably succeed.

Halley on May 18, 2006 at 1:42 PM

All I can say is Thank God this isn’t a religious war or a war between Civilizations.

Whew ….

DDG on May 18, 2006 at 1:50 PM

I think the Pope should publicly burn this letter.
A flinging down of the gauntlet, so to speak.
Mahmoud is a maniac, and I for one do not trust the argument that the mullahs have him on a short leash, he’s just a figurehead, blah blah blah. The same things were said of Adolf Hitler when he came to power and look what falling for that argument got us-6 years of horrific bloodshed & destruction.
Long past time for us to wake up and to wise up.

Abigail Adams on May 18, 2006 at 1:55 PM

In the tradition of George Carlin’s most awful words, I think Mahmoud is just a booger. Make that a camel booger that this country needs to flick immediately from its “bird” finger. Face East!!!

JodyBlonde on May 18, 2006 at 2:18 PM

What NTWR heard is correct. Ahmadinejad has openly stated that it is his aim to create the prerequisite chaos that would precipitate the reappearance of the 12th Imam.

This guy has to be the most dangerous individual alive today. Martyrdom would become him.

inmanjh on May 18, 2006 at 3:05 PM

Lessee–
nuts…chocolate..irradiated carrots…Popes..
hmmm…is there a pattern here?
Where is Da Vinci when you need him?

lizzee on May 18, 2006 at 3:12 PM

For a little levity in this conversation, check out thepeoplescube.com
It’s my favorite satire site. If you scroll way down, you’ll see the Christmas satire of Mahmoud in a Santa suit with the title “the 12 imam is coming to town.”

I also like spreadshirt.com for their very funny “not my president” shirt with a “V” for Vincente Fox crossed out.

NTWR on May 18, 2006 at 4:49 PM

I think he sent a letter to the DNC a few years ago.

gary on May 18, 2006 at 5:12 PM

I think the Sharia is about to hit the fan!

WC on May 18, 2006 at 6:04 PM

Islam’s strategy for dealing with the “enemies of Allah”.

Islam divides Jihad into a three parts:

1 – The first part is the “Meccan,” or weakened period. Muslims should pretend to act in a peaceful manner and use political measures to lure the enemy and try to convert him to Islam.

2 – If the enemy refuses to convert to Islam, the second part of Jihad arrives. It is the “preparation” phase. It is also called the “plotting” phase. Muslims starts to turn more militant.

3 – And in the final Jihad part, or “Medina Stage,” Muslims will use their strength of numbers and power to rise up against the Infidels.

The final command of jihad, as “revealed” to Muhammad in the Quran (Islam’s holy book), is to conquer the world in the name of Islam.

Islam classifies unbelievers as “standing enemies against whom it is legitimate to wage war.”

Now, apply all these steps to what the leader of Iran is doing and is going to do, and you will see that he is not crazy as you might think or as the media is trying to portray him…He is a TRUE Muslim.

CatholicConservative on May 18, 2006 at 6:07 PM

Mahmoud’s rant should be the subject of a Vent, or at least how Mahmoud works up his crowd, just like Adolph Hitler. Never did ever understand how that crazy person got his otherwise logical Krauts so worked up but he did. Mahmoud certainly gets his crowds worked up too.

So, are we doing anything to check Iranians coming across our southern border with Mexico, otherwise known as the Gateway to the USA? Guess that has to wait until after the Senate votes to grant citizenship to anyone who shows up inside the USA and maybe that won’t be the sole criteria much longer. Or, maybe if we continue to watch Ward Churchill with just one of our eyes, we can use the other to see if we can find Iranian Waldo, the one with the nasty belt bomb strapped to his waist.

Seriously, so much to do, trashing Churchill, Utley, et al (Winston must be spinning in his vault over that Ward bastard’s family name), praising our senators for their astute sellout of our country without much notice by many people, looking for ways to assist the Mexican government in its filing of lawsuits against our military and governmental law enforcement agencies, criticizing the lack of planning for evacuations of major population centers after nuclear attacks, worrying over the impending bird flu panic, and worrying about whether my spell checker is actually functioning. Lastly, guess I no longer have to worry about whether we Anglicans are truly Catholics or just heretics, in the time of Sharia it won’t matter at least to that demented bunch of neckchopper wannabes.

DougW on May 18, 2006 at 6:16 PM

How long til Harvard matriculates him?

NTWR on May 18, 2006 at 6:48 PM

The earlier poster is correct….These letters are a threat: Convert or die.

……It’s in the Koran, and ol’ Mock-Mood Ima-schnozola means every word of it.

Hey Mock-Mood! Need a hanky??

VonHelton on May 18, 2006 at 7:06 PM

Dammit! Kid From Brooklyn stole my line!

Have ya heard of Iran’s most popular rock radio station? BGM-109 “Rockin’ Tehran hit after hit”

Bwah hahahaha haaaaaa!

Tony737 on May 18, 2006 at 7:13 PM

I think this pope is tough.

He’ll tell Ahmahdinnerjacket to go f**k himself. In a clean, Catholic way, of course.

Lady Heather on May 18, 2006 at 9:39 PM

Just picture Bolo Yeung (as Chong Lee) in Bloodsport with Jean Claude Van Damm: he just kicked 9 kinds of doggy doo out of another fighter, looks up at Jean Claude and says in bad English: You are next! That’s what Marmalade Imaloonybird is saying to the pope. Let’s all take a moment to thank Jimmy Carter for his lasting foreign policy contribution to whirled peas: terrorist state with a nuclear bomb; and he’s starting his own game of The Dead Pool (yes, I love old movies as you might have guessed.)

austinnelly on May 19, 2006 at 1:11 AM

Sydney Carton-I know what the Catholic position is about this catechism-you’ve stated it-“plan of salvation includes all of mankind.” All are welcome to come in under the umbrella faith of Catholicism. I understand and reject that concept. I noted it here because it was pertinent to the issue-Ahmadenejad writing to the Pope, others wondering what his response would be-so I thought I would post it without comment, positive or negative. I took nothing out of context, because I gave no context. Have a good night.

Doug on May 19, 2006 at 2:21 AM

just received a copy of the letter from an anonymous source:
“Dear Mr. Pope,
I am writing to ask you where I can buy some of those wonderful robes you wear. As you may have read, we in Iran are instituting a dresscode policy and I think it would be wonderful if all of our citizens dressed as you do.,
may Allah be with you,
Mahmoud.

gary on May 19, 2006 at 7:23 AM

Were does Ahmadinejad get his clothes, off the rack at the Good Will store.

birdman on May 19, 2006 at 7:49 PM

Oh what a feeling. Glad Kofi had the guts to tell him “to tone it down a notch”.

The man’s gone mental. I picture Mahmoud screaming because he couldn’t get “sharks with laser beams attached to their heads….”

Clark Mountain on May 19, 2006 at 8:28 PM