Video: Kennedy’s artful dodge

posted at 3:51 pm on May 5, 2006 by Michelle

Curiouser and curiouser. Here’s the clip of Rep. Patrick Kennedy’s statement on the car crash if you didn’t catch it this afternoon. He used the occasion to lobby for mental health parity. How about Kennedy law enforcement parity?

More over at MM.com

Doug Van Sant blogs on the obvious media double standards:

My beef with this issue is how our press will respond. Across all major news sites (including FOX), headlines proclaimed Rush to be “arrested.” Liberal blogs basked in their glory by making fun of Rush and his addiction. Wire stories abound about the criminal activity in the Rush case, not his addiction, not his rehab, nor about his clear victory in this case. Now one of their own is seeking help for a similar problem. How will the media react this time?

My bet is you’ll see more talk of compassion for Rep. Kennedy’s addiction. You’ll see stories focus on how Rep. Kennedy is facing his problem head on and is using his addiction to teach others. There will be no talk of criminal activity. There will be no talk of hypocrisy. There will be no questions of Rep. Kennedy’s ability to do his job, nor will there be anyone suggesting his resignation.

For the record, I admire anyone who faces their problems. I admire anyone who can admit they are wrong and seek to correct it. I applaud Rush and Patrick Kennedy if they are able to seek help and fix their addictions.

This is where a Real Republican differs from the other side. I can look at both Limbaugh and Kennedy and see their problems as similar and respect their problems just the same. I have compassion for both men because it’s a cold-hearted reality that people have problems. And I can look at these two individuals and say congratulations, they’re human. But Washington, the press, and many on the left cannot and will not do that. One pain addiction will always be called “criminal” while the other will be called “courageous.”

The “obstruction of justice” charge is raised.

Slate calls it “Nappaquiddick.”

Comments

Fer pete’s sake, even the MSM (See the earlier post) isn’t buying the Ambien/Phenergen thing.

The Qumquat didn’t fall far from the tree.

prophet on May 5, 2006 at 4:05 PM

Hmnnnnn…..I am wondering if the FBI will bust into the doctors office to take his medical records to see if he was doctor shopping…..just wondering…anyone have any ideas?

Sandys Beach on May 5, 2006 at 4:11 PM

So if he’s saying he took ambien isn’t that an admission that he was DWI? Seems open and shut to me. Book ‘em Dano…

Achmed on May 5, 2006 at 4:21 PM

This story is so far from over:
- Why aren’t the officers who didn’t give him blood tests being prosecuted?
- If he was in this extremely rare Ambien-induced sleep-driving (big if), how does he have the awareness and rational-thinking to tell the authorities that he is on the way to vote? This was a very smart thing to say given the protections afforded Congressman on their way to voting; it’s unlikely this was a coincidence.
- There are witnesses that say he was drinking at a bar that night, does he have an alibi?
- If he can’t remember what happened, why did he detail the events in an earlier statement?
- He still committed a crime by operating a motor vehicle in this condition, why isn’t he being prosecuted?
- Would Ambien make your eyes bloodshot? Would Ambien make you slur your words?
- If he wasn’t abusing drugs (just taking what was prescribed), why is he checking himself in to a substance abuse center?

You think we can count on the MSM to resolve these discrepancies or will we hear that Kennedy’s story is “fake but accurate”?

gash on May 5, 2006 at 4:29 PM

In fact there is one important difference in the Rush/Patrick cases that would justify different coverage: the crime Rush was accused of wasn’t dangerous to others, whereas driving under the influence is incredibly dangerous to others. So the favoritism toward Kennedy and piling on Limbaugh is even more outrageous…

Alex K on May 5, 2006 at 4:33 PM

His dad left a woman (Mary Jo Kopechne), in his own car ,submerged in Poucha Pond, overnight, after he drove the car off the bridge and he didnt report it until the next day after talking to his atty…..
Do you really think his kid is going to:
A) get in trouble? or
B) actually tell the truth?
I can only hope that someone will find the truth, and his bar receipts, for a chance at justice.
The Kopechne family is probably watching this also.

shooter on May 5, 2006 at 4:58 PM

from the “other” MM site….this is great!

Reader Dave writes that membership in the Kennedy clan has its privileges:

Drinks at the Hawk & Dove: $40
Phenergan & Ambien: $75
Crashing your Mustang convertible intoxicated: $4,000

Being driving home by Capitol Police: PRICELESS

shooter on May 5, 2006 at 5:43 PM

Seems like he is rushing ( no pun intended) to get to rehab AND claiming he was only taking what he was prescribed to take. The two just don’t add up. Liberal math?

America1st on May 5, 2006 at 5:46 PM

Get a load of his handwritten statement (thesmokinggun has the police report). Don’t tell me Patches wasn’t HEAVILY under the influence!!

RushBaby on May 5, 2006 at 5:53 PM

I abhor his politics, but I wish Patrick Kennedy the best with his recovery. For the sake of himself and his family I hope that he is able to get his sobriety.

Dave on May 5, 2006 at 7:05 PM

This whole situation stinks to my nose. And I have a good nose for drug and alchohol abuse. As I am an alchololic, and also used drugs.

I was listening to Rush, on the day he told his listeners he was going into treatment. He did it at the end of his show. He was very honest about what he was doing and why. And he totally admitted he had a problum. He made the whole “Half a brain tied behind my back” so very fitting. Although I have never heard him mention it in context of his addiction. That part he has always been very serious about.

Mr. Kennedy is not admiting to any problum, yet he is going to seek treatment…for what?

I was listening to Rush again today. When Rush spoke of Robert Kennedy, it was VERY apparent he was heartfully concerned for Robert. His treatment taught him alot. The humility, and compassion he felt for Mr. Kennedy was very evident. THAT is the difference. He understands what it is like and knows what it takes for the road to recovery, and the FIRST and FORMOST thing is the open addmission of the problum. Only after that first step is taken, can true recovery begin.

Those who are not addicted rarely understand why and how this works. I will add Robert Kennedy in my prayers, as I did Rush when he checked himself in. I pray he takes this all seriously.

MalkinFan on May 5, 2006 at 7:13 PM

I’m a little hesitant to pile on here. From what I’ve read, the Capitol Police Department failed to do its job. The focus should be on that department and the reasons they did not administer field sobriety tests, or administer a breathalizer test, or draw blood. Because the police failed to do this, unless we find other evidence, we have to take Kennedy at his word.

So, I wish Kennedy the best in handling whatever problems he claims to have.

PS – There is a difference between this and Rush. My tax dollars don’t pay Rush’s salary.

gilbert_sundevil on May 5, 2006 at 8:10 PM

Asking for mercy while retaining authority is the penultimate audacity.

Woahhs on May 5, 2006 at 9:40 PM

I’m with Dave and MF (uh, that’s MalkinFan). I’m in recovery myself, and required several attempts to get sober. If Rep. Kennedy is in the throes of his disease, I’m not surprised if he’s in denial or being somewhat dishonest. I certainly was. He’s in my prayers as well.

Oh, and penultimate means next to last.

mikeyboss on May 5, 2006 at 10:16 PM

No one should pile on a seriously addicted individual regardless of his place on the political spectrum. But I have my doubts as to Mr. Kennedy’s veracity. He claims not to remember a thing about the events, but he had no trouble remembering to tell police the two exculpatory statements: 1) he is travelling to a Congressional session, and 2) he had taken the “sleepwalk” drug Ambien. Both of these statements are expressly designed to place the responsibility for his irresponsible actions on something other than himself. He is being disingenuous in his “mea culpa” remarks today. To what exactly is he addicted? Certainly not the two drugs he admittedly self-administered. I have never heard that either of them can be addictive. If Mr. Kennedy expects the public to believe his story, he should direct the Capitol Police to tell the truth about its actions and subsequent cover-up. That is the mark of taking responsibility and that is the real story here.

csjd on May 6, 2006 at 1:39 AM

Curious minds want to know: (and I hope my recall is correct on these points)

1) By Kennedy’s own words, he left from home to go to his work building “to vote”, mistakingly thinking it was time to go to work…..How then did he manage to be at a bar and his home at the same time?? Hmm??

2) Had the occifers NOT believed that he was literally bombed on something, they must have believed he was NOT, right? So why did they not take him the rest of the way TO WORK? Instead, they took him HOME?? Hmmm???

Republican culture of corruption..indeed.

Jimmyboy1 on May 6, 2006 at 6:26 AM

Boy Kennedy repeatedly refers to his “disease.” I’m not buying it. Acting stupid is not a disease. And doing it over and over again is not a disease. This is his third trip to rehab…..he hasn’t been taking it seriously.

Why do the citizens of Rhode Island send somebody like this to represent them?

firegeezer on May 6, 2006 at 7:47 AM

I’ll tell you why, Firegeezer..because they are stooooopid. The voting public are sheep. They are not any more intelligent than the star crossed teenagers who hang on every word uttered by Brittany and that ilk. We have dumbed down and driven out any intelligent and independent thinking. Blame the media, lack of education, lack of whatever….but make no mistake..the voters of this nation are stoooopid. Why else would the likes of a Kennedy,a Bill or Hillary Clinton get elected to anything?

Sandys Beach on May 6, 2006 at 8:54 AM

I am in Rhode Island and you should hear some of the comments on local talk radio, such as:

He is so brave coming forward with this
Poor Patrick, now he can get help

This is ridiculous, too many times for this guy. He needs to resign, get the help he needs and if he wants to serve the people of Rhode Island, come back clean and run again. But only after he is out of Congress and rehab.

That will not happen and in the Peoples Republic of Rogue Island, this will guarantee he gets reelected by the biggest margin of his career.

Wade on May 6, 2006 at 10:01 AM

Crash, the son of Splash, does not remember anything….except that he was on his way back to Capitol Hill for a vote. How convenient.

Yet, he was spotted swilling booze at a couple of bars.

First, he blamed Ambien, then Phenergan. Now, there’s painkillers involved? The media is doing backflips not to mention “consumption of alcohol”. The Kennedy clan cannot inherently control the effects alcohol has on them.

And as he’s heading to designer rehab at the tax payers expense, he refuses to resign. Such arrogance.

doingwhatican on May 6, 2006 at 11:18 AM

IMHO, this world would be better off if we did not have the chance to vote for another drunken Kennedy. And, I am so tired of hearing that the family has some sort of ‘curse’ hanging over it. The curse is that they are all drunks and womanisers, just like dear old dad. That SOB left us a real legacy…a bunch of alcoholics and drug addicts…not to mention one or two murderers thrown in for good measure.

Sandys Beach on May 6, 2006 at 12:41 PM

..and one more small thing…did not OLD JOE KENNEDY back the Hitler Regime for a while? I know it was before the world got a good look at that crazy Nazi..but come on now..how do we put that aside and elect, time after time, yet another Kennedy to office? “Scratching my head” on this one.

Sandys Beach on May 6, 2006 at 12:53 PM

How do we know that what Patches said is even true about what he took? Isn’t lying a requirement when a Kennedy gets in trouble? No one performed a field sobriety test. We only know what he told us, but he also said he didn’t remember anything about the incident.

I randomly test all my employees for drugs and alcohol abuse. He couldn’t even get hired to be a Capitol Police Officer, let alone a security guard, but as a Congressman he can make laws. What’s wrong with this picture? Thanks Rhode Island.

C4Miles on May 6, 2006 at 1:19 PM

I do hope he seeks treatment and recovers. His actions need a consequence, however. I am getting tired of the Kennedy same old, same old, and getting off without repurcussions.

Ron on May 7, 2006 at 1:22 AM

All politics aside.. What sort of security clearance does this man have? Is it just me or should one have his own house in order before he represents anothers? I’m all for him getting help but for goodness sake… who elected this guy to office? We all have had tragedy in our life… doesn’t give us an excuse to break the law… Seriously.. what the hell sort of impression am I supposed to give my children when elected officials are addicts? Sometimes I wonder about it all. Then I tour a civil war battlefield and I’m whole again. Thank God for some peoples’ sacrifice…

reflexx on May 7, 2006 at 2:00 AM

Kennedy Legacy Progress Report
Student: Patrick

Electability: A+
Patrick continues family tradition of election to Congress without any credentials whatsoever.

Confronting Adversity: B-
Patrick needs to seek help from advisors prior to addressing illegal behavior, if it becomes public. We’ve talked to Patrick about this and he understands. “I’m late for a vote”, however, was a nice touch, if a little transparent.

Heroism: A++
Patrick’s open and thoughtful (insert teardrop here) discussion of his addiction to prescription pain-killing drugs, through no fault of his own (insert additional teardrop here), sent shivers up my spine. Camelot has returned!

Current Affairs: D-
Patches…what about the babes?? C’mon put a little effort into it.

Jethro on May 7, 2006 at 12:11 PM

Shown on PBS, there was a documentary about Patrick Kennedy’s first run for Congress in RI. It was hilarious. His Republican opponent was this medical doctor who was not only brilliant, but a saint who’d donated much time to help unfortunates in the Third World.
Never mind that Patrick was shown to be a blithering idiot every time he opened his mouth and that his opponent was indeed careful, articulate, with a wonderful wife and family, knew the issues and was, of course, right, never mind that. Apparently that congressional district wanted their very own Kennedy. And they got what they wished for because they weren’t careful.
Fat chance that this documentary will show up again, fat chance.

BeeCharmer on May 7, 2006 at 6:28 PM