Dog bites man: Kennedy crashes car, possible cover-up ensues

posted at 5:48 pm on May 4, 2006 by Allahpundit

Catnip for conservative bloggers. “The driver exited the vehicle and he was observed to be staggering,” relays Drudge, who has the siren up. The boss is monitoring developments closely. The jokes have already begun.

Allegedly, he told the cops he was late for a vote — at a quarter to three in the morning.

I’m woozy from the comic possibilities.

Update: One angle left thus far unexplored: why is our so-called media covering this story instead of Stephen Colbert?

The blackout must end, my friends.

Update: Hot Air affiliate Expose the Left has video of Roll Call reporter John McArdle on Hardball discussing Kennedy’s accident.

Update: Michelle has a copy of the police report from the accident. Not this accident; the one he was in two weeks ago.

Update: Kennedy responds, says he wasn’t drunk, just doped up on prescription drugs. Whew!

Comments

This will be the first news on the nightly shows, right? Oops, forgot, he’s a DEM!

decklover on May 4, 2006 at 5:58 PM

Sounds like lyrics from Hank Williams Jr…

I’m just carryin’
on an old family tradition
I am very proud
of my daddys name
although his kinda music
and mine ain’t exactly the same
stop and think it over
put yourself in my position
if i get stoned and sing all night long
it’s a family tradition
Don’t ask me Hank
why do you drink?
(Hank) why do you roll smoke?
Why must you live out the songs that you wrote?

financelawyer on May 4, 2006 at 6:00 PM

Apple martini doesn’t fall far from the tree

gash on May 4, 2006 at 6:11 PM

Well, Well, Well, here we go again. Another Kennedy scandel….so what else is new?

robo on May 4, 2006 at 6:14 PM

Michelle still has the best line (oldie but still great) posted on her blog:

Mary Jo Kopechne was unavailable for comment.

Carvin Guitar Man on May 4, 2006 at 6:24 PM

Nothing confuses and angers me more than that damn dem family and it’s ability to stay in politics.
Makes ya wonder what all we dont know….How many laws have they broken? legal and/or moral!!

MSM – It’s their world, we’re just in it.

shooter on May 4, 2006 at 6:31 PM

Here we go again – another Kennedy gets off scott free. These people are like the Clintons – they’re never going away.

OBX Pete on May 4, 2006 at 7:08 PM

Ah, Chris Matthews never disappoints, does he? He just HAD to start blathering about Congressmen being “protected” heading to and from their offices. You think that is something ol’ Pop Kennedy drilled into this obvious chip off the old bottle?
“Now…er… son… if you …er… ever… I mean…er… when you inevitably get drunk… and er… wreck your car, be DAMN SURE that the… er… first words out of your mouth are… er… “I’m heading to a vote!”

Sugar Land on May 4, 2006 at 7:13 PM

I stopped watching Chris Matthews quite a while back, although I do admit to occasionally sneaking a peek. I don’t last more than a few minutes:) He’s always been in love with the Kennedys.
Gash’s apple martini and Sugarland’s chip off the old bottle comments are priceless.

calnevari on May 4, 2006 at 7:26 PM

Kennedy (D-UI) redux?

doingwhatican on May 4, 2006 at 7:45 PM

Just another Kennedy cover up.

rplat on May 4, 2006 at 7:50 PM

“I’m not as think as you drunk I am, Ossifer”

Richard Davis on May 4, 2006 at 7:52 PM

He’s a Kennedy. Drunk until proven sober.

pat on May 4, 2006 at 7:58 PM

Drunkennedy, demagogue extraordinaire.

doingwhatican on May 4, 2006 at 8:10 PM

The intersection he crashed at is just behind the Cannon House Office Building. Which happens to be his office building.

Nice job, Congressman.

Pablo on May 4, 2006 at 8:27 PM

Absolutely flaming incredible! I tip my hat to the US Capitol Police for not backing down and demanding that there be no cover up, especially when their reputation for honest and diligent law enforcement is at stake. I only hope that those officers do not get into trouble wanting to the law.

What vote could Kennedy possibly be going to cast at 2:30 AM? Who the best wet T-Shirt contestant is?

Pat writes: “He’s a Kennedy. Drunk until proven sober.”

Hell, it is more like Kennedy is innocent until PROVEN innocent.

If I did that, I would be in jail RIGHT NOW facing the danger of a 7 ft, 500 lbs bad man asking me to become his blushing bride (if you get my meaning).

The False Dervish on May 4, 2006 at 8:29 PM

This story simply does not rise to the level of an accidental gunshot victim during a quail hunt.

gary on May 4, 2006 at 8:40 PM

Something I just thought of, does anyone remember the 2000 election season when the press went gaga over George Bush’s 25 year old DWI?

calnevari on May 4, 2006 at 8:45 PM

the FReepers are having a field day with this story (Hat tip: Hugh Hewitt.)

Carvin Guitar Man on May 4, 2006 at 8:46 PM

It’s nice to know that the future of the party is in the capable hands of the Kennedys. Such a bright future. No ideas. No sense. No scruples. No cover charge.

pistolero on May 4, 2006 at 8:46 PM

Come on, guys. It’s not like he’s got prior instances of bad behaviour. (Scroll down to the yacht conversation)

Pablo on May 4, 2006 at 8:52 PM

Ahh, I see Christmas came early this year.

jaleach on May 4, 2006 at 9:36 PM

I should also point out that Paddy Kennedy is obviously not living up to the high standards set by Splash. Imagine getting plowed, driving a car, and not killing a young woman! Kids these days!

jaleach on May 4, 2006 at 9:49 PM

too “impaired” to make it to the “reserved for kennedy family members” parking spot, halfway over the bridge, take a right

colorfulbeachpersona on May 4, 2006 at 10:15 PM

I can’t wait to hear Cynthia McKinney weigh in on this one. But to Kenndy’s credit, he did manage to miss hitting the officers car!

Acts20:24 on May 4, 2006 at 10:18 PM

So he might be a drinker….that’s no surprise….But is he a hyprocrite? What kind of car was he driving? Was it a hybrid? or alternative fueled? or was he driving a gasoline powered vehicle? A car that just guzzles and guzzles gas purchased from evil oil companies? I think I read he was driving a Ford Crown Victoria in RI when he crashed two weeks ago. What was he driving this time? Anyone know?

Melba Toast on May 4, 2006 at 10:25 PM

Nevermind…found it–Ford Mustang. Well at least it wasn’t one of those evil SUV’s….And wouldn’t you know…He’s blaming it on the Ambien. Damn Ambien! Couldn’t make it up any better. ;)

Melba Toast on May 4, 2006 at 10:32 PM

So he’s trading drunken driving for driving under the influence of drugs. Smooth move, Patches!

Bryan on May 4, 2006 at 10:34 PM

In a futile attempt to reach out to his father, the son attempts flattery through imitation.

RepJ on May 4, 2006 at 10:59 PM

Truly amazing. Kennedy’s defense is that he was driving under the influence of drugs. Assuming (for the sake of argument) that he is telling the truth here, he is admitting that he was guilty of a crime for which he was neither arrested nor cited. According to his claim, he didn’t know where he was or what he ws doing as he endangered the public by driving his car (with the lights off). I can’t wait to her the Metro or Capitol Police explanation of why no criminal action at the time was justified.

Bert66 on May 4, 2006 at 11:45 PM

He is guilty of a crime. He has admitted driving under the influence of a controlled substance. He should be in jail awaiting sentencing.

mustng66 on May 5, 2006 at 1:42 AM

I guess DWI ain’t a bad thing in Massachusetts? Otherwise these guys wouldn’t be around.

Cpilot on May 5, 2006 at 1:47 AM

He was “sleep-driving” brought about by those sleeping pills he took. A common occurrence. Thank goodness there were those nice policemen to assist him home. I believe commendations may be in order. I hope some nice republican congressman introduces such a resolution on the floor of the house today.

gary on May 5, 2006 at 5:02 AM

Yep, that’s what I always do….take a sleeping pill and then go for a drive.

Sure giveaway was the junior Drunkennedy failing to turn on the headlights of his vehicle….in the wee hours of the morning.

doingwhatican on May 5, 2006 at 5:13 AM

Must be nice to be a Kennedy. You can go through life fat, drunk and stupid and get bowed down to and excused by the MSM. I’d be in jail if I behaved like they do.

Ellen on May 5, 2006 at 5:35 AM

Well you can say one thing. At least each new generation of Kennedys seem to be getting dumber… if that’s possible. It also doesn’t help that they are getting uglier as well. But that may be the reason why the moron couldn’t even get a nice young intern to go driving with him. At least then Pat “hic” Kennedy could have told the cops she was driving, like his old fat father… Mary Jo K. had no comment. Our only hope, is that they kill themselves off sooner then later… but let’s hope no more innocent people have to go with them.

Bob Mileti on May 5, 2006 at 5:58 AM

People that act like the Kennedys and live in places like Tennessee and West Virginia get the police called to their trailers every Saturday night.

clyde on May 5, 2006 at 6:24 AM

Having graduated high skrool in 1976 in Greenwich, I suggest someone cut to the chase and call Mark Fuhrman.

Jimmyboy1 on May 5, 2006 at 7:10 AM

Kennedys and cars just don’t mix, especially after the mixed drinks. Will David Gregory throw a hissy fit, demanding to know the name of the officer “above the rank of patrolman” who ordered him driven home?

right as rain man on May 5, 2006 at 7:46 AM

I’ll have mine shaken, not stirred.

dallas94 on May 5, 2006 at 8:36 AM

Is anyone other than me concerned that our laws are made by drunks?

Leiren on May 5, 2006 at 9:13 AM

He should have listened to his cousin Bobby and taken public transportation.

gash on May 5, 2006 at 9:18 AM

Just exactly what must be the I.Q.’s of the people that VOTE these Kennedy’s into office repeatedly??

gary on May 5, 2006 at 9:25 AM

The apple doesn’t fall very far from the tree…Nothing will become of this because there is no evidence of his actual alcoholic intoxication. However, if they have laws similar to Indiana, then he might be charged for being under the influence of prescription drugs.

This won’t harm Kennedy at all though. The ones who will pay are the beat cops that tried to do their jobs. The supervisors who covered it up may suffer short-term, but in the long run they will “taken care of” for helping out a Kennedy.

hoosier_federalist on May 5, 2006 at 9:32 AM

We can only hope that this Kennedy follows in the footsteps (and fork) of his uncle and gains so much weight he too one day explodes on CNN.

clyde on May 5, 2006 at 9:36 AM

“Seeing as his eyes were dilated from the medication,he could actually see better w/o his headlights on,and the other driver should be cited for having the audacity to turn left in front of a moving Kennedymobile,”

bbz123 on May 5, 2006 at 9:38 AM

Perhaps “COPS” can get the police car videos with a FOIA request.

chsw

chsw on May 5, 2006 at 10:02 AM

I made it all the way to page 42 of Newsday (NY) before I stumbled across this story. Page 42!!! Imagine if this had been J.D. Hayworth or Tom Delay?!?!?

Woody58 on May 5, 2006 at 10:02 AM

John and Bobby were his uncles. Patrick is the son of Ted.

Pablo on May 5, 2006 at 10:04 AM

Well, it’s not like he drove the car off a bridge or anything. The turd does not fall far from the tree.

Kid from Brooklyn on May 5, 2006 at 10:12 AM

“Kennedy says he wasn’t drunk, just on drugs.”

And that absolves him how?

Carvin Guitar Man on May 5, 2006 at 10:25 AM

This is just too easy a target, I almost feel bad for laughing over this, ALMOST.

Why would we not expect a Congressional Representative to get this sort of treatment, Kennedy or not? Sadly, I think that most would get the same, though the furor would be raising the roof if this were say, Tom Delay.

SteveD on May 5, 2006 at 10:45 AM

The waitress who was serving “Shotglass” had better hire a bodyguard. Something unfortunate always seems to happen to the women who enter into the Kennedy orbit.

doingwhatican on May 5, 2006 at 11:08 AM

Legally speaking, it might be considered involuntary intoxication if the mixture of the two drugs caused a higher degree of intoxication that one might reasonably have expected. Or in the case of “sleep driving”, it might be considered to have been an involuntary act, negating the actus reus portion of the crime.

E5infantry on May 5, 2006 at 11:42 AM

A DUI is a DUI. It’s called Driving Under the Influence and as such, it means under the influence of any substance which impairs your ability to operate a motor vehicle.
That includes Kennedy Special Canadian Imported Reserve, Ol’e Chappaquiddick, NyQuill, or aspirin! If he took it and it impaired his ability to operate his car, and he’s admitted as much, then he should be charged. Don’t believe me? Try it and find out!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 5, 2006 at 1:29 PM

At the very least isn’t driving without headlights at 3am a traffic infraction in D.C.

The police supervisors making the call not do field sobriety testing or issue a traffic summons (no headlights) need to be held accountable.

Couple a traffic infraction with a motor vehicle accident in many states and that allows for a pre-screening test of the driver’s breath for alcohol automatically.

Refusing said pre-screen would be another traffic infraction.

mhexel on May 5, 2006 at 3:47 PM

Background info: According to two independent sources, Kennedy probably lied about not using alcohol:

Capital Police incident report states Kennedy under influence of alcohol
Bar hostess says Kennedy drinking that night

As I’ve pointed out elsewhere, if he lied to the police about this, that was obstruction of justice.

However, there is a much more serious side to this.

Kennedy told officers he was going to a House vote at 2:45 AM. As you may be aware, the U.S. Constitution protects Members of Congress from being arrested or detained by the police in most circumstances providing they are going to or from the House to vote. This is to protect from interference in the Democratic process by the administration or police.

He lied to the Capital Police officers and told them he was on his way to a vote at 2:45 AM… when there was no vote… which may have caused the Capital Police to confer with higher-ups and the higher-ups to order not to arrest Kennedy because of the U.S. Constitution… is Kennedy guilty of obstruction of justice: a felony?

If I was on a jury, I’d have to conclude he was.

He’s trying to escape legal jeopardy.

Q. Why did he lie about his drinking to the officers if he did so?
A. Obstruction of justice.

Q. Why did he lie about going to a vote at 2:45 AM if he wasn’t?
A. Abusing his power as a Congressman to subvert the U.S. Constitution and obstruct justice.

So now he’s saying he wasn’t drinking, but he was abusing prescription drugs. This despite the two previous sources I cited that state he was either “under the influence of alcohol” (the cops) or “drinking” (bar hostess).

And Kennedy’s own statement said that he took precisely the prescribed amount of his prescription drugs and no more.

His statements have changed multiple times, but it’s his actions that night, which were in my opinion felonious.

If it walks like abusing his power to subvert the U.S. Constitution and obstruction of justice and if it talks like abusing his power to subvert the U.S. Constitution and obstruction of justice, it’s a duck.

Key Point:

Patrick Kennedy abused his power as a Congressman to subvert the U.S. Constitution and obstruct justice when he lied to the Capital Police about going to a House vote at 2:45 AM when there wasn’t any House vote at that time.

ChrisInCanada on May 5, 2006 at 4:56 PM

Probably will not hear much more of this by Monday morning. Real cute, the way the media allows this to be forgotten. Just like the 25+ year old drunk driving thingy with George, back in the day or taking his twins to task over their underage college drinking. The media gets me sicker by the day. There is not even an attempt to cover up these left leaning pukes…! ;-(…He will get voted back in..just like daddy….and he’s a murderer!

Sandys Beach on May 5, 2006 at 9:55 PM

There are some police commanders that need to be fired over this one.

gary on May 6, 2006 at 6:59 AM