Monster quake rocks Tonga

posted at 1:07 pm on May 3, 2006 by Allahpundit

The siren is up at Drudge. CNN says it measured 8.0.

The National Weather Service expects a tsunami to hit Fiji at any moment and New Zealand within an hour or so.

Update: A new report revises the magnitude from 8.1 to 7.8.

Update: Whew.

Comments

It’s 5 am, or just after, in Fiji as the quake happened.
And 3 am in Queensland (northeast) Australia.

shooter on May 3, 2006 at 1:22 PM

Well, I assume if there’s any damage, injuries or fatalities “they’ll” have something to blame the U.S. for. No response, slow response, responded too fast, didn’t warn us before it happened, warned us after it happened, ……. it will eventually be morphed by the MSM into George Bush made it happen and it’s all the U.S.’s fault.

darwin on May 3, 2006 at 2:48 PM

I hear that it’s not about the size of the quake, but the motion in the ocean… ;-) Side to side movements can be violent, but it’s the up and down movements that trigger the massive tsunamis.

Mark Jaquith on May 3, 2006 at 3:00 PM

I don’t think you will have to worry about the Tongan people blaming Bush or America. All the ones I know Love America and are hard working too. I just hope they are OK. They are mostly a Christian nation, so I don’t expect any hollywood fundraisers.

DieselDude on May 3, 2006 at 3:01 PM

DieselDude,

Thanks for the info, didn’t know that. I suppose I’ve become just a tad jaded with katrina and all. Bush did steer Katrina there right? Because of the black population?

darwin on May 3, 2006 at 3:16 PM

The problems with Tsunamis is the tons of water pressure (as seen hitting Indonesia during Christmas last year) on the move. Water has weight and substance. It can more destructive than fire and even a quake because water gets into every nook and cranny. We must remember that an ocean wave is the only way we can actually see energy in motion. And then when the tsunami water recedes, it sucks just about everything back out to sea.

Glad to hear that the quake has been downgraded. Whew, indeed!

DieselDude is correct about the people of Tonga. I think that their flag has the Cross as its symbol (but I am not certain).

The False Dervish on May 3, 2006 at 10:02 PM