John McCain, First Amendment absolutist

posted at 3:17 pm on April 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

Somewhere Rudy Giuliani is smiling. Stop the ACLU has video.

Comments

I can only hope the people of Arazona send Sen. McCain back to the ranch… He has become A complete embaressment to the GOP. He cannot belive what the hell he his saying thats b.s. The McCain Fiengold bill only helps keep the people in power; in power. Plus the bill is uncontitunal, as Rush says “money is free speach”. McCain is A complete ass. He belongs in the Dimmocrap party as their poster boy.

birdman on April 30, 2006 at 3:48 PM

Mccain has becom A complete embarresment to the GOP. The McCain-Fiengold bill only helps to keep the people in power, in power. The bill itself is unconstitonal. McCain is full of B.S., he doesn’t belive A word he says. I only hope the people of Arizona send him back to the ranch. Take money out of politics come on. In the words of Rush “MONEY IS FREE SPEECH”.

birdman on April 30, 2006 at 3:55 PM

In the words of the immortal philosopher Buggs Bunny:
“What a maroon!”

persecutor on April 30, 2006 at 4:15 PM

In the immortal words of Porky Pig. “Thats all folks”, and porky McCain is. If you get my drift.

birdman on April 30, 2006 at 4:39 PM

That should put his presidential bid to rest. Is the ANY way to get Condi to run? A Guliani vs. Hillary match will become a contest of marital infidelity vs. the ‘wronged women’ and not be abot real issues (since the press is Hillary’s campaign staff).

Mike O on April 30, 2006 at 4:49 PM

I’m always hesitant to comment on McCain due to the years of extreme brutality he endured as POW during Vietnem. That said, he has been slowing drifting away from basic conservative ideals over the years. Someone should tell him it’s time to bow out gracefully before he embarasses himself out.

darwin on April 30, 2006 at 5:50 PM

John MehCain. I really don’t care about what the man says or does, as his time in government is rapidly running out. He’s way too old for a presidential bid. I like it when he dishes it out to younger members of the Senate, but usually he’s just spinning away at an issue that nobody really gives a damn about to begin with.

Rice would make a great president, but she’s made it pretty abundantly clear that she doesn’t want to run. Democrats now that they will lose if they put Hillary up for anything, so no need to worry about that. Giuliani, I don’t think he’s interested, and I don’t think he’s got the experience necessary. Plus, he’s a very liberal guy, and I don’t want that in a President, Republican or Democrat. There’s gotta be more names to drop in the hat, though. I still like Arnold Schw- *DUCKS*

Savage on April 30, 2006 at 5:58 PM

Ahem: *Know. I feel like a dumbass. Darn lack of an edit button… Don’t drink and type…

Savage on April 30, 2006 at 5:59 PM

Hmmmm. Well, gee, Senator McCain, if I understood your remark about having a clean govt rather than the 1st Amendment correctly, then my reply is…..

I WOULD RATHER HAVE CLEAN UNDERWEAR THAN YOU FOR PRESIDENT!

Don’t you realize that the purpose of The Constitution, the Amendments, and the Bill of Rights (NOT the Bill of LEFTS) is to protect Americans from governmental abuse and corruption? Come to think of it, you probably do since you co-sponsered the McCain-Fiengold bill.

The False Dervish on April 30, 2006 at 6:21 PM

McCain doesn’t simply step on his privates . . . he first puts on his gold shoes. McCain Served his country well, but that was then and this is now and he has become a glaring liability to the GOP.

rplat on April 30, 2006 at 6:30 PM

Let me try this again. McCain doesn’t simply step on his privates . . . he first puts on his GOLF shoes. McCain Served his country well, but that was then and this is now and he has become a glaring liability to the GOP.

rplat on April 30, 2006 at 6:32 PM

Oooo, he’s gonna feel that in the morning.

Iblis on April 30, 2006 at 6:37 PM

He is no a fan of the free exercise and establishment clauses of the first amendment as his comments about evangelicals during the 2000 primaries showed. McCain thought he could win a few points (and perhaps donor dollars) by going after two leaders within an important part of the GOP coalition. All attacking them did was feed into the liberal lie that everyone to the right of McCain who goes to church (or even doesn’t go to church) takes orders from Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.

Essex on April 30, 2006 at 6:58 PM

McCain does not put me at ease with his uncanny allegiance to the Dems. There’s the McCain-Feingold pairing followed by the McCain-Kennedy coupling. He’s also been far too friendly with the “Bloated Swine” as well.

I don’t diminish his service to this country, but he has not shown as much allegiance to Conservatives.

doingwhatican on April 30, 2006 at 7:03 PM

McCain is barking up the wrong tree with a cat. Money does not corrupt. Money is only one of many enrichment tools used by the corrupt. ONE MUST BE CORRUPT IN THE FIRST PLACE!The corrupt would be just as corrupt without money. All the McCain-Feingold Atrocity does is help hide the corrupt and make excuses for their behavior. It’s no different with guns and crime. Guns don’t cause crime, criminals cause crime. Just as guns are used for good far more than bad, money does wonderful things too! Even in politics. Open the floodgates, expose the corrupt, and run them out of office.

Woody

woodcdi on April 30, 2006 at 8:32 PM

Well, that little video ruined any chance he had of me or any other conservative taking him seriously again. If he wants clean government, maybe he should get out and leave it alone. First campaign finance reform that opens the door for really big bucks to pour in, and then a torture law that doesn’t do anything but muddy the definition of what torture is. He seems to be more concerned with getting his “maverick” moniker back from the MSM than he is with actually serving the people.

Jezla on April 30, 2006 at 9:12 PM

Spot on Woody… But you’ll never get the lefties to fess up to it. ie: Jackson, Sharpton, and some other genius’ that I care about so much names elude me.
Also, guns don’t kill, pointers and triggers do.. idiots.

Billy the Kid on May 1, 2006 at 8:29 AM

Don’t get me started on McCain.

If I were a loony nutjob, I’d probably be trying to assassinate the guy.

His assault on the First Amendment is completely unacceptable. So what does our Congress do? They propose the “Online Freedom of Speech Act”, ostensibly to protect bloggers, when all they really had to do was repeal McCain-Feingold outright.

When will these idiots figure out that big government can’t solve problems caused by big government?

RWR

RightWingRocker on May 1, 2006 at 9:22 AM

McCain was just trying to protect his own behind by restricting free speech. His loss of the Republican nomination in 2000 spurred his decision to follow thru with this McCain-Feingold crap.
I don’t know who the next Republican is to run besides McCain, but, I will be voting for him/her over McCain.

gary on May 1, 2006 at 5:47 PM

John McCain was very relevant when he stepped off the plane bringing him home from Viet Nam. It’s been quite a few years since he has had any relevance. In fact, he’s never been quite…ummm… right.

His self-centered, ballistic temperament costs him much credibility. His left leaning legislative record and bumbling comments cost him the rest. The picture of the headstone below the video caps it.

MSM’s darling is being called GOP frontrunner when he loses every poll matchup against any other GOP candidate. In group polls of 20 or more candidates he always comes in no higher than 2nd or 3rd from the bottom. I fear a President McCain would trigger Armageddon around his third week in office.

JodyBlonde on May 1, 2006 at 6:36 PM

Bucking the trend …

Let’s remember that freedom of speech is not absolute (ex, “fire” in a movie house, fighting words).

I’m not saying he was right in this case, but it’s not blasphemy.

mikeyboss on May 1, 2006 at 10:40 PM

You are right, somewhere Rudy sure is smiling.

Wild Thing on May 2, 2006 at 1:40 AM