The Tinfoil and the Damage Done

posted at 11:18 am on April 27, 2006 by Bryan

In Neil Young’s case, telling him to just “Shut Up and Sing” won’t work. He sings, alright. Right after 9-11, Young penned and produced a haunting tribute to the heroes of Flight 93 called “Let’s Roll.” But…Young also sang John Lennon’s “Imagine” on the 9-11 network telethon. “Imagine” imagines no heaven and no hell and envisions a peacenik kumbaya world, which undoubtedly comforted the families of 9-11 victims not at all.

So Young, who once praised President Reagan and then apologized for it when his big-time pals gave him grief, is hit or miss. “The Needle and the Damage Done” may be the best anti-drug rock song ever written. “Rockin’ in the Free World” is brilliantly executed pablum politics that made Bush-bashing an art long before all the cool kids joined in.

Young’s latest…? It lacks a “Heart of Gold.” Or a brain.

Let’s impeach the president for lying
And leading our country into war
Abusing all the power that we gave him
And shipping all our money out the door
He’s the man who hired all the criminals
The White House shadows who hide behind closed doors
And bend the facts to fit with their new stories
Of why we have to send our men to war
Let’s impeach the president for spying
On citizens inside their own homes
Breaking every law in the country
By tapping our computers and telephones
What if Al Qaeda blew up the levees
Would New Orleans have been safer that way
Sheltered by our government’s protection
Or was someone just not home that day?
Let’s impeach the president
For hijacking our religion and using it to get elected
Dividing our country into colors
And still leaving black people neglected
Thank god he’s racking down on steroids
Since he sold his old baseball team
There’s lot of people looking at big trouble
But of course the president is clean

Tinfoil and the Damage DoneI consider myself a fan of the once great Neil Young. After checking out these lyrics, though, all I can say is there’s something happening here. And what that is, is all too clear. Young has become a Harvest Moonbat.

Comments

I’m sorry, but who is this person “Neil Young?” Is he someone I’m supposed to be paying attention to? Why? Because he plays guitar?

whatnext on April 27, 2006 at 11:21 AM

After looking at the lyrics in Neil Young’s new “peace and love” song, it is obvious that he is still suffering the hallucinations produced by a contact high from all those years of exposure standing next to David Crosby on stage. Is he truly suggesting that Al Qaeda blew up levees in New Orleans? This goes way beyond Moonbat and into the realm of certifiable lunacy. But we can all look forward to seeing Mr. Young perform his big hit at the democrat’s victory parties after the November ’06 elections. At least the loony left hopes so . . . .

csjd on April 27, 2006 at 11:35 AM

I am simply unable to express just how little I care about what this idiot doper has to say.

rplat on April 27, 2006 at 11:36 AM

Being a Righty, I’m not afraid to self-deprecate. What’s with the tin foil? Something to do with the moonbat’s phoning home? They’ll be needing a saw blade and an old phonograph, ’cause they’re from a lot farther away than the moon.
Oh yeah, If I may be so bold as to quote the late Mr. Skynrd – “I hope Neil Young will remember, a Southern man don’t need him around, anyhow.”
church

“The probability that we may fall in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just; it shall not deter me.” –Abraham Lincoln

y2church on April 27, 2006 at 11:42 AM

Neils last good album was Live Rust. Since then, crappola. This album won’t change one thing.

Except of course more money in his pocket from Leftards buying copies, ala Moore’s F9/11

William Teach on April 27, 2006 at 11:47 AM

It is pretty interesting that old Neil went from Let’s Roll to this garbage. This is a man of dead seated convictions.
Put. Down. The. Bong. Neil.

pistolero on April 27, 2006 at 11:48 AM

It’s terribly, terribly sad that Neil Young’s mindset has never left the 1960s, when he was never that much to write home about.

Time and its passage have not been kind to Neil. Who may be a momentary Darling of the Peasant Skirt and Balding Ponytail Birkenstock Brigade. While so many more will see him as just another “entertainer” Selling Out.

Jack.

Jack Deth on April 27, 2006 at 12:02 PM

I really enjoy neils work in times past. but not too aware of what he is doing these days. Seems eddy vedder (pearl jam) is the only person taking him seriously.

and y2church, not to nitpick, but lynyrd skynyrd was named after the bands high school gym coach who used to give them grief about their long hair. The singers name was the late, great, ronnie van zandt. who, except for the pro gun-control song saturday night speacial, was a fine southerner if ever there was one.
Best Regards.

chow on April 27, 2006 at 12:10 PM

Yeah, like I give a damn what a Canadian musician thinks of our government.

World B. Free on April 27, 2006 at 12:29 PM

Here’s another good Shut Up And Sing. It’s the BOBs, a ‘new wave acapella’ group.

After all, if you’re going to spend your money on music, it might as well be good music.

KCSteve on April 27, 2006 at 12:36 PM

“It’s terribly, terribly sad that Neil Young’s mindset has never left the 1960s”

uh Jack, I think it’s due to their drug infused lifestyles…. if you asked him he probably does think it’s still 1974.

Now the real question is why would a Native Canadian being living in the US if life with George Bush is so terrible. I would assume it’s because it’s closer to his drug suppliers.

peace

Bob Mileti on April 27, 2006 at 12:44 PM

chow,
Thanks for the backgound lesson on van zandt. I like a lot of their stuff, but I’m not “fan enough” to have remembered his name nor the origin of the band’s name.
This fine southern gentleman has no use for Young’s diatribes either.
church

y2church on April 27, 2006 at 12:53 PM

I never liked Neil Youngs singing voice he wines. He goes with the flow what ever is hip look at the polls then deside

birdman on April 27, 2006 at 1:16 PM

It seems to me that, for the most part, the tin foil hat crowd should wear the tin foil on another part of their anatomy so as to prevent philosophical/political inbreeding.

To think that Pres Bush is purposely thwarting the laws of our nation and that he caused 9/11 for the sake of invading Iraq is ridiculous.

Where was Neil Young when Pres Clinton was following a policy of gleeful neglect and delightful irresponsibility? Oh, I forgot! There was no controlling legal authority in existance during the Clinton Administration.

CIGARS AND INTERNS ALL AROUND!!!!

The False Dervish on April 27, 2006 at 1:18 PM

Best post title so far….LOL

The Ugly American on April 27, 2006 at 1:51 PM

Well, so much for using Harvest Moon when mrs geek and I fulfill our “marital obligation” KWIM?

I did like After the Gold Rush though, even if he is a leftist moonbat.

geekrunner on April 27, 2006 at 2:14 PM

Let’s stick to calling Niel a “songwriter” becasue he’s a “guitar player” like Yoko was a vocalist.

2wylde on April 27, 2006 at 3:12 PM

At least Neil is wearing his left-wing issued tinfoil skull cap to deflect those thought rays emanating from Bush’s secret thought-collecting thingamajig.

Seriously, there is a guy in my town that has worn one for years. He thinks aliens are prying into his mind…Hmmmm, maybe he’s onto something…could liberals really be from outerspace?

hoosier_federalist on April 27, 2006 at 3:19 PM

hoosier_federalist

Some university students did some studies and found out that your standard issue tin-foil hat actually increases the effects of radiation in the appropriate frequencies. They’re kind of like little sattelite dishes for your brain.

Makes sense when you think about it. If you wanted to make sure you collect and focus as much energy as possible then it would help to cover your skull with a parabolic reflector aimed down into your brain.

KCSteve on April 27, 2006 at 5:06 PM

Neil Young is bad but Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers is arguably worse. He, too, is calling for Bush’s impeachment, but also wants us to leave the poor Iranians alone:

Debbie Schlussel on April 27, 2006 at 5:27 PM

25 years ago I got an old guitar, a Neil Young Big Note Songbook, and proceeded to learn how to play. Neil’s music moved me and taught me how to finely craft a song. I will always be grateful for that.

Fast forward to the present: I still play guitar, but haven’t played a Neil Young song in quite some time. As my techinical prowess on the guitar increased, his songs ceased to present enough of a challenge to be interesting anymore. I’ve moved on.

Similarly, the liberal attitudes of my ignorant youth have been supplanted by a wiser, more conservative philosophy. I didn’t try to become conservative, it was just the natural result of living and learning. Many of the guys I used to play with in bands are in a state of arrested development, still clinging to their liberal ideals and in the process hoping to retain some vestige of their youth (which truly is wasted on the young). I think that Neil is that type of person too.

Some people mature, others just grow old.

inmanjh on April 27, 2006 at 5:42 PM

The only decent album he ever put out was Harvest. The rest of his stuff was cr@p. (Hi hi hey hey. Rock & roll is here to stay. Gimme a break.)

CAD Daddy on April 27, 2006 at 5:43 PM

Oh, & another line from the same song referred to above..

“It’s better to burn out than it is to rust. Hi hi hey hey.”

You should have taken your own advice Neil ole buddy. It’s time to take the sandpaper & Krylon to you.

CAD Daddy on April 27, 2006 at 5:50 PM

Neil Young is one of the top 10 rockers of all time. If you’re going to trash him, don’t do it via his music – which is brilliant. Trash him for the right reason: he’s another leftie no-thinking moron who should go back to Ontario permanently.

PoppysBoy on April 27, 2006 at 5:58 PM

jeez, that’s scary what Flea wrote. thanks debbie. i haven’t been a fan of theirs since i grew up in my mid-30′s. :)

ok, he’s a canuck, he’s a troubadour, he’s an opportunist and human, so he can vacillate.

seems to be a lot vitriol instead of understanding. we won’t get people on our side with name calling. that’s their schtick.

one thing we can count on is liberals/progressives are NOTORIOUSLY lazy vis a vis turning out the vote.

now as to bernard shakey: heh heh heh. funny man says things.

re: skynyrd….van zant was a southern democrat. that’s why baby brother supports bush now. :)

JazzBass on April 27, 2006 at 6:06 PM

Neil Young is another over-the-hill loser whose best memories are about the good old days at Woodstock, flower children, anti-war protests and other wonders of hippie-dom.
Like most Liberals, he hasn’t grown up, but remains stuck in his recollections. I’m sure he’ll tell you the best political event in his lifetime is Watergate, the most obscene war was Viet Nam, and his favorite politician was Walter Mondae.
Young is another case of living proof that being a has-been rockstar does not give one any great insight into the real world. — Liberty

Liberty Call US on April 27, 2006 at 7:06 PM

“Neil Young is one of the top 10 rockers of all time. If you’re going to trash him, don’t do it via his music – which is brilliant.”

I dunno, having listened to his album “Arc” you’d be hard pressed to convince me that his music is brilliant. Seemed like the drugs had finally taken their toll on that one. I could barely tollerate him or his music prior to “Arc”, and after that what little tollerance I’ve had for him went out the window. His recent lunatic rantings just confirm this for me.

Achmed on April 27, 2006 at 8:27 PM

In the words of Lynyrd Skynyrd:

“Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don’t need him around anyhow”

JB on April 27, 2006 at 9:38 PM

Big wheels keep on turning
Carry me home to see my kin
Singing songs about the Southland
I miss Alabamy once again
And I think its a sin, yes

Well I heard mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don’t need him around anyhow

Sweet home Alabama
Where the skies are so blue
Sweet Home Alabama
Lord, I’m coming home to you

Savage on April 27, 2006 at 9:38 PM

Has Neil Young confirmed that those lyrics are actually his? They seem like a parody of a protest song.

Heywood on April 28, 2006 at 12:51 AM

I was recently shocked to find out Neil Young was even still living when he appeared on the Conan O’Brien show earlier in the week.

Tom Shakely on April 28, 2006 at 2:24 AM

I think I’m gonna listen to some “Sweet Home, Alabama.”

Well I heard mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don’t need him around anyhow

Like Savage said.

violet on April 28, 2006 at 3:02 AM

I bet that new cd really sells. Any recent Dixie Chix
chart toppers??

gary on April 28, 2006 at 7:26 AM

Neil’s voice is only downstaged by Bob Dylan’s. Neither are pleasant, and brutal to listen to. CSN&Y wrote and recorded some amazing material, but very little had anything to do with Neil Young.

I’ve never had much respect for him. Now that he has embarked on his political agenda, I have 1 word:

DEPORTATION !!

See ya’

Billy the Kid on April 28, 2006 at 7:46 AM

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Don Cobaggio on April 28, 2006 at 10:24 AM

“Some people mature, others just grow old.”
inmanjh on April 27, 2006 at 5:42 PM

I really liked your post inmanjh! Very insightful. It’s funny we heard so much about this song before the lyrics were released. Then when you actually read the lyrics, it it’s really just ho-hum. It reads like something written by a teenager who has been visiting moveon.org, or huffingtonpost.com and has been brainwashed by their propaganda.

I think someone should do a Neil Young parody song in his style (shouldn’t be too difficult) and it should include the line “Some people mature, others just grow old.”

steelersfan on April 28, 2006 at 3:44 PM