Dead air

posted at 9:54 am on April 27, 2006 by Michelle

Hot Air affiliate Brian Maloney at The Radio Equalizer, my investigative partner on many Air America stories last year, has the low down on the liberal talk network’s plunging numbers.

Read the full scoop here.

***

Background: Air America investigative reports

Comments

How about the fact they’re boring?

I can’t listen for more than 30 seconds and not because I disagree with them. They’re talentless.

Moto Oda on April 27, 2006 at 9:56 AM

I’m sorry, Michelle: Air America? Who? ;)

William Teach on April 27, 2006 at 9:59 AM

This “Hot Air” concept is great. Informative and entertaining. I read your ‘stuff’ daily. Lots of us ‘little peole’ out here rooting for you. Keep up the great work Michelle, and crew.

Lawrence on April 27, 2006 at 10:09 AM

“…I can make it there
I’ll make it anywhere
It’s up to you, New York, New York.”

Winter ’05 Arbitron ratings for NYC market:

WLIB (AAR Flagship Station): Fall ’05 – 1.4; Winter ’05 – 0.8

Owwwww…that’s gotta hurt.

withoutfeathers on April 27, 2006 at 10:19 AM

As I entered the bank one day last week I heard A.A, for the first time. There is this “security station” right there as you enter the front door. At the “station” the security guard had his radio up loud, so we all could hear.
It seemed quite a contradiction to me. After all here we all are in this place of commerce conducting our business but heard clearly above all was this anti-business nonsense!
I wonder what Wells Fargo’s policy is on security guards sitting at their “desk” forcing all of us to endure this Hate-America, Hate Capitalism, Hate the Electoral System tirade? Evidently the branch near Colfax and Havanah St. in Aurora Co. approves!
How could a bank endorse such ridiculousness?

Gault on April 27, 2006 at 10:26 AM

Before Air America, when people talked about conservative radio dominating, I think the consensus was that left-wing jib-jab couldn’t withstand the scrutiny of the talk-show, call-in format. In other words, liberalism makes less sense the more issues are discussed. Makes sense to me, and might explain why Air America was a sinking ship the moment it set sail.

BillLalor on April 27, 2006 at 10:27 AM

Okay, a bit of a mea culpa here. I believe I was the one who gave AA’s Randi Rhodes the publicity that helped her get on AA as a host. Before her AA gig, Randi was unknown outside of Palm Beach county where her radio program originated. However, I used to listen to enough of Randi’s kookiness to her as a national talk radio host so as to discredit the left with her nuttiness. This was done as part of the “Al Gore At The Movies” reviews I used to write. Randi even sent me an e-mail later sort of thanking me for the publicity.

So I guess I am the one to blame for Randi Rhodes going national. However, she did do what I predicted in the movie review: Randi has done a great job of discrediting the Left with her kooky shows.

pjcomix on April 27, 2006 at 10:35 AM

“Owwwww…that’s gotta hurt.

withoutfeathers”

Well, not too much. They have sucked since day 1. :)

Really, what kind of radio station backed by millions of liberal kooks needs to pay radio stations to carry their broadcasts? Do Hannity, Boortz, Rush, etc, pay stations to carry them? Or do they carry Conservative talk radio because they generate listeners and ad revenue?

William Teach on April 27, 2006 at 10:37 AM

I believe that liberal talk can be successful. I listen to Alan Colmes show on the radio, and even though I often disagree, at least I can see where he is coming from.

True story, I was in the car with my wife when she started asking me about AA, since she never heard of them before. I just changed my XM dial to AA and it didnt even take 15 seconds before the HATEFUL rhetoric made it’s way. My wife was totally disgusted, and she can’t stand Bush.

If you have a show with a liberal that has some substance and is not hate filled, I think it could work, but those are EXTREMLEY RARE.

JVelez on April 27, 2006 at 10:37 AM

It could, but most liberal radio is a festering cauldron of seethe. Its humor is comparable to Nazi’s telling jokes about death camps. It takes itself way too seriously. Hence, even some of the serious moonbats do not want to listen to it.

Granted, I find a few conservative talk show to be seethefests, too.

William Teach on April 27, 2006 at 10:44 AM

The Chattanoogan has reported that Err America has dropped off the charts in Chattanooga.

pjcomix on April 27, 2006 at 10:59 AM

“So I guess I am the one to blame for Randi Rhodes going national.”

pjcomix….. We can only thank you for your effort.

The more of these kooks that get exposed nationaly, the better off the country will be. these people don’t have anything good to say, and they constantly ridicule the average American.

AA ratings may be the only thing they can’t blane on Bush.

Bob Mileti on April 27, 2006 at 11:09 AM

Although I have never listened to air america. The comments here do confirm something I have known for a long time: The left exist to amuse me.

chow on April 27, 2006 at 11:38 AM

I guess those at Air America have never taken Econ 101.

In order to survive as a Business Entity, one must supply a product or service that others desire.

Oh, and a strong cadre of Advertisers wouldn’t hurt, either.

Evidently, Air America has neither!

Jack.

Jack Deth on April 27, 2006 at 12:12 PM

The fundamental fact that must be acknowledged in order to put this story in the proper context is that radio listenership is among, if not the only, completely unregulated forms of true market forces at work. Listeners are absolutely free to choose the station and the forum to which they may listen at anytime. Arbitron ratings are merely a reflection of the individual listener’s choices. To the normal mind, the results are irrefutable evidence of the listening public’s choices, absent an error in the calculations. To the liberal mind, however, the domination of conservtive talk radio and the near disappearance of every liberal talk radio forum — whether by network or individual show — is not a reflection of listener choices or the free market. Rather, it is another of the “vast right-wing conspiracies” referenced by Hillary Clinton. The government, radio network executives, and the listeners themselves have all conspired to unreasonably foist conservative politics on the public while repressing the liberal message. Don’t ever expect the staff or management at Err Amerika to admit that their product is being rejected by the listening public. They will complain that they are the victims of everything other than the free market that is keeping their rating numbers almost off the bottom of the scale. They know they have the right message, they just can’t seem to get the public to accept it. Truly, an amazing concept. But what we can expect is the resurrection of the “fairness doctrine” to help balance the uninformed public’s choices through the heavy hand of government’s limitations on free speech. While many of us snicker at the left’s ineptitude in radio, the larger issue of governmental regulation of program content is no laughing matter.

csjd on April 27, 2006 at 12:17 PM

I listened to Al Franken’s maiden broadcast on WLIB in NY. I had a day off and drove down to the bay to with my lunch to listen to Rush and as fate would have it, he was off that day. Walter E. Williams was the fill-in, and while he’s a nice enough fellow, he’s never been my favorite Rush sub. So I tuned to WLIB to hear Franken.

I thought Franken was pretty funny on SNL and expected to be entertained during my lunch. I was wrong. Actually, that’s a mischaracterization…I WAS entertained by Franken’s drivel albeit not intentionally. I was forced to laugh at the impotence of the show and more particularly, what was supposed to pass for humor.

If any of you haven’t heard AA at all and REALLY want a scream, try listening to Sam Seder at 7:00PM EST. He sounds like Alec Baldwin at Lib rally. Be forewarned, however, that getting too close to the speakers will earn you an earful of frenzied spittle.
-Woody

Woody58 on April 27, 2006 at 12:34 PM

It’s impossible to be funny when you are filled with hate for good and decent people.

birdman on April 27, 2006 at 1:27 PM

It would be interesting to see a chart showing the growth of popularity of Michelle’s blog beside the Air America ratings during AAR’s run and then to compare that with the start up costs of each.

I just found the site meter at the bottom of blog. It is going to be fun to watch this thing grow.

roydee43 on April 27, 2006 at 1:43 PM

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE
How about that Air America Spring lineup?

Defector01 on April 27, 2006 at 1:52 PM

AA is nothing more than mindless dribble reboxed and sold as liberal talk radio….wouldnt mind a federal and state look into their books to see how many other charities gave them money…but of course the MSM would ignore any evidence of that.

Its only newsworthy and a crime if conservative radio did it otherwise…well you know…its just a misjudgment in finances..

Terlizzi999 on April 27, 2006 at 2:17 PM

By August, Al and Randi will be on a surplus Staten Island Ferry anchored outside U.S. territorial waters broadcasting to Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and the Hampies.

Essex on April 27, 2006 at 4:05 PM

Bob—I wasn’t kidding about inadvertently bringing Randi Rhodes to the attention of Err America. Check out this link about her e-mail to me and the section of the “Al Gore At The Movies” review in which I stated how Randi’s kookiness would be perfect for leftwing radio. Her e-mail to me was in January 2004 and a few months later she got her Err America gig.

pjcomix on April 27, 2006 at 4:49 PM

Just breaking on Michelle’s Blog—Air America to lose its NY Flagship station on Aug. 31.

pjcomix on April 27, 2006 at 5:26 PM

Well, at least the humorless Al Frankenstone will have free time on his hands for the Senate bid in Minnesota.

JammieWearingFool on April 27, 2006 at 5:34 PM

Excellent news!

Tom Shakely on April 28, 2006 at 3:10 AM

As a long-time listener to talk radio, I can tell you that in the local markets, new hosts appear rather regularly. The best ones stay, and the rest go back to a desk job.

Limbaugh was associated with radio on and off for nearly two decades before he got his own show in California. He was not an “overnight sensation.” He is one of the select few who successfully made the transition from local to national markets and gained audience at each step. Through his years of experience, he knows how to run a talk radio show and make it work. Anyone would have to admit this, whether they personally agree with his politics or not.

I knew that Dead Air America wouldn’t last, not because of their politics, but because they were a collection of amateurs. I think Randi Rhodes was the only experienced radio talker among the starting lineup. You can’t expect to be successful the first time you try something unless you are extraordinarily gifted and talented (like Orson Welles making “Citizen Kane”) and no one at Dead Air America has that kind of talent.

MikeOK on April 28, 2006 at 10:03 AM

So, Airhead America is losing its flagship station, WLIB, on 08/31/06 and that is after they were granted an extension.

Maybe Al Frankenstein, Janeane Garbarfalo and Randi RoadKill can go to work on AlGorbot’s lib television network.

Good riddance to bad talk radio.

doingwhatican on April 28, 2006 at 10:28 AM