Who said it?

posted at 4:53 pm on April 26, 2006 by Allahpundit

“No matter what kind of title I have … I consider I’m a human being first. So humanity surpasses everything when you see people being killed.”

Hint: it comes from a reporter. You can pretty much rule out Mike Wallace and anyone from CNN right off the bat.

Answer here.

UPDATE: I haven’t listened to it yet, but there’s audio at John Batchelor’s site of his interview with the mystery woman.

UPDATE: Glad to hear that the House voted 421-0 today in favor of a resolution calling on China to reinstate Gao Zhisheng’s law practice. Gao is a noted human rights lawyer who was set to meet with Hao Wu — the subject of our very first Vent — on the day Hao was kidnapped by the ChiCom gestapo. Gao’s law license was suspended after he published an open letter to Hu Jintao kindly requesting that he stop killing members of Falun Gong.

Comments

Sounds like something a Democrat would say, in that it’s somewhat flaccid (?) is that the word?. Then again, Democrats don’t speak in terms of “life.” So without looking (really) I’d guess a non-Democrat.

BillLalor on April 26, 2006 at 4:59 PM

OK…I think I might guess…Steve Harrigan from Fox News?

flipflop on April 26, 2006 at 5:08 PM

OK, one more hint…it’s NOT Steve Harrigan. :-)

flipflop on April 26, 2006 at 5:09 PM

These reporters even refuse to wear an American flag pin, man now thats not cool, thats not hip, but thay say we love this country, no they don’t. They have to do everything they can to defeat the bad evil doer George Bush. They will sell this country out for a dime, its power they want.

birdman on April 26, 2006 at 5:17 PM

“charged in federal court with a misdemeanor of intimidating, coercing, threatening and harassing a foreign official. If convicted, she could be jailed for up to six months and ordered to pay a $5,000 fine.”

It’s despicable that she’s been charged with anything. And colossally despicable that the fact she has been is not getting much more, and much more negative, attention. Being diplomatic with a powerful tyrant is one thing, but there is no reason for this. *This * is a real scandal. Bill Keller sees fascism in the McCarthy thing? What a disgrace.

Alex K on April 26, 2006 at 5:31 PM

I know who the reporter is its Tony Snow

birdman on April 26, 2006 at 5:47 PM

I can understand the need to charge her, you can’t just charge toward the POTUS regardless of who else is with him. However I think it’s a little hypocritical to charge her when they give Cindy Sheehan a pass every time she gets herself in trouble with the law.

geekrunner on April 26, 2006 at 5:47 PM

State Department officials say they have urged China to investigate the organ removal claims and “remain concerned over China’s repression of Falun Gong practitioners.”

The State Department has asked China to investigate its own horrific human rights abuses? Yeah, I’m sure they’ll get right on that. Just as soon as they finish forcibly relocating several hundred thousand “undesirables” from the streets of Beijing in time for the 2008 Olympic Games.

I wonder how the Chinese goverment would like to deal with whomever leaked this sensitive and embarrassing information (about harvesting the organs of Falun Gong members at the Sujiatun prison camp)? How about letting independent reporters interview former Falun Gong “guests” at the camp? Oh yeah, there aren’t any left, are there? Maybe they could talk to someone who got one of the “donated” organs?

If anyone in our government or among our State Department officials had an ounce of the courage of Wenyi Wang, we might make some headway in getting China to curb its horrific human rights abuses, instead of endless meetings, like this last one with Hu Jintao, that seem to accomplish nothing. I know, I know, its all about big business and not wanting to offend, “respecting local laws and customs” and all that. Still, this is the place to vent, right?

Con Ky on April 26, 2006 at 5:59 PM

I agree with both of you, Alex K and geekrunner. I think it’s a matter of treating everyone equally, regardless of their political leanings. If they’re not going to charge one person (in this case Sheehan) for making her views known in such a forum, then they shouldn’t charge anyone else (in this case Wenyi Wang). Unfortunately, it seems as though hell will freeze before liberals and conservatives are treated the same in this country.

S_que on April 26, 2006 at 6:55 PM

I’m with y’all, Alex K and geekrunner. Nevertheless, my brother-in-law, a federal judge (Bush 43 nominee), opined that the convenient hook, in the Wenyi Wang charge, is that she intimidated, coerced, threatened and harassed a foreign official. Ergo, were Cindy Sheehan to screech at Tony Blair, during a state visit, she might suffer the same fate as Wang. In that, I tend to emphasize the word “might.”

Aunt B on April 27, 2006 at 10:05 AM

Of course the U.S. government isn’t going to find out particularly concrete pieces of evidence against the “People’s Republic” regarding living organ harvesting.

The Bush Administration represents an abject failure on not only the immigration issue here at home, but the human-rights issue across both the Atlantic and Pacific.

Tom Shakely on April 28, 2006 at 2:22 AM