Snow Day

posted at 9:05 am on April 26, 2006 by Allahpundit

FR says the White House will announce Tony Snow as its new press secretary at 9:10. I’m going to go out on a limb and assume the announcement will be carried live by whomever’s guest-hosting Snow’s radio show today, which airs from 9 a.m. to noon EST. Listen live here. “The connections of Snow” indeed.

UPDATE: You can watch live over the web at the White House website.

We’ll have video of the announcement in an update here if anything happens to warrant it. Congrats to Tony, one of the most likeable guys on the right and by no means a rote Bush apologist.

Which, er, should make his new stint as a rote Bush apologist pretty interesting to watch.

UPDATE: It was over in five, but Bush did address Snow’s transition from occasionally sharp critic to apologist — after taking a dig at the gaggle. Click to watch.

UPDATE: Radio Equalizer rounds up left-wing reaction to Snow’s appointment.

UPDATE: The Washington press corps already has a nickname for Tony.

UPDATE: On second thought, maybe Geraghty should have been the new press secretary.

UPDATE: MediaBistro reports that Brian Kilmeade and Judge Andrew Napolitano will replace Snow on Fox News radio.

Comments

And there it is…Tony Snow has been selected as the next White House press secretary. Should be fun…

MarkInBeavercreek on April 26, 2006 at 9:15 AM

Press conference is on now. Can’t wait to hear some of the accusations….errr….questions lobbed by the WH press corps.

Ghost Runner on 2nd on April 26, 2006 at 9:16 AM

No comments….darn…was hoping to see fireworks. =) I know Tony will do a great job.

paconservative on April 26, 2006 at 9:19 AM

Buzzkill.

Ghost Runner on 2nd on April 26, 2006 at 9:22 AM

I liked President Bush’s introduction of Tony. “We explained to him what the job was and he decided to take it anyway”.
I hope Tony does a good and does not become the pinata that Scott McCleland turned into.

LakeRuins on April 26, 2006 at 9:26 AM

Rather odd to hear the new WH press secretary hawking precious metals immediately after his press conference.

MattD on April 26, 2006 at 9:28 AM

I say buzzkill but it was entertaining to see Dave Gregory throw out a question only to be ignored. Makes me all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

Ghost Runner on 2nd on April 26, 2006 at 9:28 AM

Let it Snow, let it Snow, let it Snow. This should be fun!

C4Miles on April 26, 2006 at 9:29 AM

Best of luck, health, and success to Tony. At war and under attack, this nation needs an effective White House.

dman on April 26, 2006 at 9:30 AM

I hope it “Snows” on “fitzmas”

Bob Mileti on April 26, 2006 at 9:36 AM

Perhaps this White House will finally start communicating and not allow the leftist liars and seditionists to have the first say.

Chas on April 26, 2006 at 9:40 AM

This should be great fun! Tony’s smart and articulate….can’t wait to see him eviscerate Gregory or leave Helen Thomas babbling and drooling like the old fool she is…..

GEC on April 26, 2006 at 9:41 AM

Wow. And it’s not even my birthday. What a great present.

Moto Oda on April 26, 2006 at 9:44 AM

CbS radio this morning was the usual disaster-fest. During the “news” broadcast, Tony Snow was announced as the new press secretary. CbS said that Tony had once referred to the President as “embarrassment.” End of “news” announcement. Thanks, CbS, for that insightful look into the new press secretary.

whatnext on April 26, 2006 at 9:47 AM

I’ve seen Tony handle raving moonbats in interviews with grace, dignity, a sense of humor, and a sledgehammer. He’s a particularly bright guy with a good heart. What a victory for sane folks!

JodyBlonde on April 26, 2006 at 10:32 AM

They should have had him in there 4 years ago. I’ve always thought Bush did a terrible job articulating his positions and fending off the MSM. This will be interesting for sure, but I keep thinking ‘too little too late’.

rightallthetime on April 26, 2006 at 10:39 AM

Oh the weather outside if frightful
But today is so delightful
So just smile whereever your go
We got Snow, we got Wnow, we got Snow

Khyber Pass on April 26, 2006 at 11:20 AM

I cannot wait for the first episode of the New Tony Snow Show from the pressroom of the Whitehouse. More reality based it will be!

wallyqc on April 26, 2006 at 11:21 AM

For those in the media and on the left who say this is an injustice to journalism, I have two words for you: George Stephanopoulos. If it is okay for him to leave Clinton’s administration and become a “journalist”, it is okay for a real journalist to join Bush’s administration.

JB on April 26, 2006 at 11:23 AM

Nickname? Won’t be long til the left-wing media will call his Press Secretary’s relationship with the news corps as “Snow Jobs” if they don’t find him agreeable in their relationship with the new Press Secretary’s responses to them (e.g. McClellan).

This should get really interesting. Waiting til we see Snow days.

Kokonut on April 26, 2006 at 11:27 AM

Absolutely LOVE Tony. Shall be great fun, watching how he deals with the bottom of the barrel eaters. Go Tony!

decklover on April 26, 2006 at 12:23 PM

I just listened to a rebroadcast of the announcement and heard that prig David Gregory toss out an inane question that was left unanswered.

That’s a step in the right direction. Hoping for more of the same towards that creepy little man.

doingwhatican on April 26, 2006 at 12:25 PM

I second the anticipation of a good bitchslapping of Helen Thomas. I say he labels her first question as “the dumbest thing ever uttered by a human”.

Doc56 on April 26, 2006 at 12:29 PM

Great news!

However, my dream was for Lt General Russel Honore to get this post…

“Don’t be Stuck on Stupid”

Lady Heather on April 26, 2006 at 12:48 PM

Tony’s reply to Helen Thomas’ first question, “I could take your face, stick it in dough, and make Buffalo cookies”

Richard Davis on April 26, 2006 at 12:50 PM

I think that this is going to be interesting. Altough this was my first choice: http://blogs4bauer.blogspot.com/2006/04/what-better-way-to-reign-in-white.html

chow on April 26, 2006 at 1:10 PM

Interesting article…and I still get nauseated when I must read through that David Gregory garbage, but, alas, we have finally arrived at greatness with Tony Snow taking this position and giving it a bit of grace. Tony will handle the news media beasts with a velvet glove but the slege hammer will be swinging and the dopes will not even know what hit them. You go, Tony….God is with you and so are the American people. Prayers are offered for your health and for the sanity of your beautiful family.

Sandys Beach on April 26, 2006 at 1:19 PM

chow,

That is priceless…

Chuck@PodunkOutpost on April 26, 2006 at 1:50 PM

Having a Press Secretary that has been the “questioner” should be entertaining.

Chuck@PodunkOutpost on April 26, 2006 at 1:52 PM

WOW! Happy Days are here! First Michelle starts this great Hot Air! & now we have Tony at the White House laughing it up with the Pest Corp. I LOVE that he ignored Gregory. I’ll bet Helen will retire any day now. Viva Bush! on this appointment. And Viva Tony!

Viva on April 26, 2006 at 2:02 PM

Tony is a plain talking, no nonsense individual. I think the press “corps(e)” will have it hands full.

dallas94 on April 26, 2006 at 2:28 PM

After all he’s been through, I think Tony probably has a great perspective on this thankless job. He’s faced down colon cancer; Helen Thomas and David Gregory are meaningless vermin compared to that. Good luck Tony!

stargazer on April 26, 2006 at 2:43 PM

You posters are just killing me with joy! Chow, you and I are great thinkers…Scene: Jack Bauer at the mike in the WH Press room…question is asked by David Gregory…only to be answered by some futuristic weapon that vaporises him. Next Question…is from Helen Thomas…who…as we watch, slowly turns into a puddle of ooze..needing to be hosed away. I think I will be glued to the set every time there is a persser……what great TV we are in store for.
LMAO!!….;-0

Sandys Beach on April 26, 2006 at 3:22 PM

“Mainstream Max” (as illustrated) may have a problem with this appointment.

gringoman on April 26, 2006 at 4:21 PM

I think he’s going to do well. I still miss Ari, though.

violet on April 26, 2006 at 4:45 PM

I am absolutely stunned that the Bush Whitehouse got this one right. I’m a staunch conservative and have been regularly disappointed with this administration’s inability to COMMUNICATE. Even when they’re right… they sound wrong. I don’t think Tony Snow is a miracle worker, but I can think of no person out there I’d be more excited abut taking on this position – one that has actually become critical to any administration over the past 20 years.
Good luck and good health Tony. I’m behind you.

Sugar Land on April 26, 2006 at 5:28 PM

Sandys Beach, I still prefer visualizing the Strike Team from ‘The Shield’ as Press Secretaries, rather than Jack Baur. Prefer the raw brute force of Vic Mackey taking a phone book upside Helen’s head over a quick bullet from Jack.

Tony should start them out by enforcing ‘kindergarten rules’ and have a whole bunch of ‘time out’ chairs in the back corners.

Mike O on April 26, 2006 at 6:00 PM

Could Gregory have asked a more inane question?

Mr. President, what does this choice say about what you think you need in the second term?

Well, Dave, it says I think I need Tony. Have a nice day.

Pablo on April 26, 2006 at 6:20 PM

After seeing David Gregory carry on when the Cheney shooting story was given to that local Texas reporter, I say that Gregory needs a career enima.

The False Dervish on April 26, 2006 at 7:57 PM

What “Sugar Land” said. And that TS is sooooooo much prettier than most of the media mongrels makes it all the better. He’s so fine.

BeeCharmer on April 26, 2006 at 8:23 PM

Great move by our President. No doubt there is some journalist just waiting for the first hint of Mr. Snow not giving full disclosure on an issue so they can claim “Snow job”!

Acts20:24 on April 26, 2006 at 9:38 PM

Tony Snow was a super choice by our president. An even better move might be to stop showing the White House reporters on-camera — I sometimes get the impression they are playing to the audience rather than focusing on reportage.

Lamonte Thomas on April 26, 2006 at 9:54 PM

I always thought highly of Tony Snow on Fox News. However, I do not understand why he is an admitted Jeff Gordon fan. The Earnhardts rule.

john on April 26, 2006 at 10:19 PM