Snow report

posted at 10:25 am on April 25, 2006 by Michelle

***update: confirmed…It’s Tony!*** Buzz heating up over FNC’s Tony Snow “likely” move to White House press secretary’s office. Hotline On Call reports:

A week after White House press secretary Scott McClellan suddenly resigned, and — nothing.

Late last week, White House chief of staff Josh Bolten directly (firmly but politely) asked senior administration officials to stop unburdening themselves to the process-hungry Washington press corps. That explains, in part, why speculative chatter has diminished.

In the meantime, Fox Newser Tony Snow is said by Republicans familiar with the negotiations to have asked for guaranteed access to the president’s ear and to an unusually large degree of latitude to reconfigure the WH press operation. That pleases the new chief of staff, who wants to relegitimize the press podium in the Brady briefing room.

But Snow, not content to be a herald, also wants near-complete control over what he says from the podium, be it bromides, platitudes or substance. That would encroach on the broad portfolio of responsibilities that Dan Bartlett claims for himself.

As of this morning, Snow’s colleagues at the White House haven’t been formally told that he’s coming — or if he’s coming, when the announcement will out…

Tony wrote a column last week on the unhinged comments he’s received from critics:

Now that the Great Mentioner has placed me among the candidates to become the next White House press secretary, I have learned things about myself that I never knew.

Helpful correspondents have told me where to go, what to use to fill various orifices, which pack animal I most closely resemble and my next-world destination.

Sages from afar have ascertained that I’m a Brahmin, a trilateralist, a BushBot, a puppet, a force of evil in the modern world, a White House mouthpiece-toady-stenographer merely seeking a change of station (and major cut in pay) and a toothy, well-coifed mediocrity.

One marvels at the vivacity of strangers’ opinions, and the dazzling variety of their venom.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum! It’s only just begun.

Comments

I think we can all agree that we would appreciate seeing Tony “shake up” the press corps. I, for one, am sick of hearing Helen and David use the guise of journalism to spew their twisted worldview.

y2church on April 25, 2006 at 10:43 AM

I can’t see Tony going in as a mere mouthpiece. Two years of watching exploding reporter heads is almost more than I could have asked for. Pinch me.

MattD on April 25, 2006 at 10:43 AM

His first order of business should be to remove those in the press corp who add nothing to legitimate debate, but are only there to promote a political agenda. I can think of two or three right off the bat.

msplitt on April 25, 2006 at 10:45 AM

Question. Would any credible conservative blogger give up his or her day job if offered a White House press corp position? I think not.

msplitt on April 25, 2006 at 10:48 AM

Tony Snow would be a great addition to the Bush Administration. He is a decent man with outstanding family and Christian values. My only concern is the effect stress may have on his ongoing recovery.

Additionally, I would love to see Mr. Snow take apart the prissy David Gregory. I’ll have to Tivo White House press conferences just to delight in Gregory’s breakdown.

Mr. Snow took the day off from his radio program this morning…thinking things over, possibly?

doingwhatican on April 25, 2006 at 10:48 AM

No offense to Tony but I would love to see the White House tap John Gibson as the new press secretary. Gibby has a flair for flying off the handle on his radio show. It would be a hoot to watch him light into Helen Thomas.

EvilRoy on April 25, 2006 at 10:59 AM

It’s apparent that the attacks on Tony’s character are pre-emptive to make him damaged goods before he assumes the role (provided he does take the job). It only makes sense to hire someone who makes his living using his voice and speaking talents. The Washington press corp who get passes to the briefings are just bullies; they only pick on people that they believe are weaker than them, either physically or intellectually. They fear Tony because he is one of them (in career choice only) and he is their intellectual superior. I am certain the press corp were giggling like little girls when Ari Fleischer resigned and McClellan took over. As much as I respect Scott for doing a hard job and taking his lumps like a man, he didn’t deserve the beating he got from those lowlife bottomfeeders like David Gregory.

geekrunner on April 25, 2006 at 11:05 AM

I sure hope Tony shakes things up and gets tough with the ridiculous people in the white house press corps (i.e. David “I have a huge face” Gregory).

nate on April 25, 2006 at 11:14 AM

Tony Snow is smart and has cajones. He would be an outstanding press secretary.

I can’t wait.

Richard Davis on April 25, 2006 at 11:22 AM

Now that Nate mentions it, Gregory really does have an enormous face.

MattD on April 25, 2006 at 11:31 AM

Gregory’s face size is second only to Ted Kennedy.

I fear Tony may have his health compromised just by having to look at the visage of Helen Thomas. Let alone having to listen to her blah, blah, blah on a daily basis.

pistolero on April 25, 2006 at 11:44 AM

Only surpassed by that arrogant over-inflated ego of his. I do not like this small, petty, whining lib.

doingwhatican on April 25, 2006 at 11:45 AM

David Gregory *is* Howdy Doody.

Compare:

Yojimbo on April 25, 2006 at 12:06 PM

Will never happen. The press sec’y job is not to be creative, to have a point of view, to top or one-up anyone. The job is take the BS and give back the best “approved” answer possible. It’s not a job for a media personality with an established identity and voice. Can you see Tony Snow toeing the admin line on anything? Neither can Tony, apparently, which is why he won’t be offered the job or won’t take the job even if offered.

ricksamerican on April 25, 2006 at 12:23 PM

Tony Snow has the calm demeanor of a wise man and the rugged look of a combat hardened soldier. He has been on the front lines of the culture / media wars. Tony is what the Bush team needs. I wish someone would have told Andy Card you don’t send a boy to do a mans job (No offense Scott, you’re just too nice). The ferocity of the Drive-By media requires conservatives to employ those who go on the offense without being offensive and who play defense on the same level as the opposition.

Stop the Press on April 25, 2006 at 12:24 PM

Ted Kennedy’s head is so big, it looks like a CONTAINER for a head.

Richard Davis on April 25, 2006 at 12:48 PM

Tony Snow’s first quote as press secretary,

“Helen Thomas – you could make a lot of money modeling for Halloween masks!”

Richard Davis on April 25, 2006 at 12:51 PM

The White House press corps is already apoplectic due to the fact that they are always the last to hear the news. Of course, none of them can seem to grasp the fact that their blind, vitriolic responses to anything that doesn’t emanate from a clintonista is the major reason they aren’t trusted to report the news instead of their moronic opinions. And they never will. Maybe we can find a useful purpose for Thomas and Gregory: imagine the energy savings if we could bottle the methane-based hot air that spews from their mouths every day. On the other hand, it is very amusing to watch them talk about themselves instead of actually questioning the Press Secretary.

secarr on April 25, 2006 at 1:24 PM

I think the press corps would not be happy with a former colleague who is familiar with their ego tantrums and the like standing there at the podium. He knows that those emperors and empresses are wearing no clothes!

Ron Nessen tried the same gig for Nixon/Ford and he disappeared from the earth once he had to go out and state that a statement he made “was no longer operative”.

I for one would hate to lose Tony from the scene once his press flak days were over.

persecutor on April 25, 2006 at 1:58 PM

The intellectual pygmies posing as the WH Press Corpse will be no match for an intellect like Snow, and will expose themselves as journalistic frauds if they get personal with him.

Bush will still be in office for 33 months. Most of these cretins will be seeking another beat once they realize they cannot get the best of Snow.

JammieWearingFool on April 25, 2006 at 1:59 PM

I have to confess to a long standing sneaking admiration for how skillfully and cynically Stalin’s press agents trained the foreign press posted to Moscow. Like a dog, the reporters quickly learned that good boy meant getting a treat, like an exclusive interview with The Man; and bad, bad, bad! meant being escorted to the next train out of the country. Of course, many of them were sympathetic to the Soviet Government, so generally a frown or two was sufficient to bring them into line. While it’s harder to apply this treatment over here, I hope Snow or whoever the lucky person is will try it. The MSM deserves to be treated like the contemptible lackies that they are.

dhimwit on April 25, 2006 at 2:08 PM

IMHO, Tony Snow can handle a pay cut for thirty-three months. If his negotiations pan out, the moonbat convulsions will be a hoot to watch. ;->

Aunt B on April 25, 2006 at 2:21 PM

Seeing Snow spar with O’Reilly, I doubt that David Gregory has anything for him……..and the beat goes on.

neocon on April 25, 2006 at 2:23 PM

Actually, I would like the assignment to go to Don Rickles.

pat on April 25, 2006 at 2:30 PM

The press will have a shrill of a time with Tony Snow. They’ll claim it’s a Bush/FOX plant. I’ll love to see Helen Thomas and “Dave” Gregory get creamed by Tony! It will be a “Snow Job!”

NavyWife on April 25, 2006 at 2:34 PM

Tony’s first reply to Gregory should be, “Do you have anything intelligent to ask?”

Wil on April 25, 2006 at 3:05 PM

I don’t see how anything positive can come of Tony carrying the President’s water. He’s too nice a guy. I love and enjoy Tony, but my vote is for Ann Coulter! :-)

dman on April 25, 2006 at 3:07 PM

Now Ann Coulter would be interesting indeed……….

neocon on April 25, 2006 at 3:10 PM

… or Ambassador Jean Kirkpatrick might do it if Ann is busy!

dman on April 25, 2006 at 3:20 PM

I like Tony Snow and think he’d be a great choice for the job. However, he’d by my 2nd choice – Mr. Stick Figure here would be my first:

thirteen28 on April 25, 2006 at 3:26 PM

How about Ollie North, Lt. David Hunt (from Fox News), Tom DeLay, General Honore (“Stuck on Stupid”).

Laura Ingraham would be a good choice as well.

Or just clone Rummy and give it to him!

doingwhatican on April 25, 2006 at 3:29 PM

Enjoyed stickman, thirteen28 :-) Actually any of the above would be great in a steel cage with David Gregory or Helen Thomas. But on a serious note, I just can’t reconcile Tony’s “nice guy” personna with what must be done at the WH press conferences.

dman on April 25, 2006 at 3:47 PM

Tony Snow is a G Bush Sr. sell out. Just another Rochefella moderate like Bush…and about as dumb. He should fit in fine.

LZVandy on April 25, 2006 at 3:49 PM

I like Tony Snow also, however I feel the biggest problem for this administration is being able to get on offense in terms of the news cycle. Granted they are never going to get a fair shake but accept that and start getting out front with their message. I don’t know if Tony or anybody else in the administration has figured out to start making the news rather then responding to it. It may be time to put somebody like Mary Maitlin in charge of directing the message that needs to get out. Tony can be the front man but there needs to be somebody in the background that is crafting the message.

LakeRuins on April 25, 2006 at 4:51 PM

Whoa… Gregory ~is~ Howdy Doody… Creepy.

Tony Snow is a great choice. He’s classy and intelligent, and he’ll come off as unflappable, which is much needed right now. Scott seemed nice, but he always looked like a deer in headlights.
I, for one, miss Ari.

violet on April 25, 2006 at 5:15 PM

I just hear on Brit Hume’s Special Report (one of my favorite’s) that it seems the job has been offered to Tony and he will accept pending the results of one final CAT scan. All other tests he took recently came back positive and is in good health. He has been in discussion with his doctor’s and his family about taking on this new endeavor. I’ll continue to keep him in thought and prayer.

doingwhatican on April 25, 2006 at 6:19 PM

It’ll be a cold day in hell….what? Snow??

Kokonut on April 25, 2006 at 6:33 PM

I’m hoping Tony takes the job (obviously after considering what he needs to do to stay well). I always enjoyed him on Fox News Sunday — he’s smart, personable, and cool under pressure. I think he will be an asset to the President.

Will on April 25, 2006 at 7:03 PM

Lots of great suggestions here…but I don’t think most of them are on the short list. Tony Snow apparently is.

So, how would that work out? I think he did a great job for 5+ years on Fox News Sunday. Moderating that “power panel” is often a wild proposition…c.f. yesterday’s clip of Juan Williams. His parting thoughts commentary each week were a highlight of the program. Yes, he’s a nice guy…points off, in this job. But he’s a nice guy with a steel backbone. He makes pretty quick work of dolts on his radio show. No, he’s not the blunderbuss that Ann Coulter would be, nor is he as likely to “lose it” as his Fox News compatriot John Gibson. Both of those would be lots of fun for us to cheer on. Tony Snow’s responses would more likely be measured and precise – surgical. I also think that the Washington Press Corpse is more likely to recognize and respect him, even those who disagree with him, than they ever did Scott McClellan. Scott was a virtual unknown until his arrival at the podium. LZVandy’s view notwithstanding, the majority of the press are unlikely to think of him as a sellout to anyone or anything…back to the steel backbone. It’s readily apparent to anyone paying attention. Those who have known him or worked with (or against) him in the past probably know it far better than outside spectators…this commenter, for example. Frankly, it would be great to have him in elected office, although I wouldn’t wish such on either him or his family. This job’s bad enough in that respect.

MarkInBeavercreek on April 25, 2006 at 7:12 PM

I love Tony too. Although, like many of you, I would prefer someone louder, bolder and more likely to straighten out some of those unbelievably partisan white house press corps. reporters (and I used that term loosely). Not sure if thats the best plan for success but thats what I would like to see just the same. Tony has a way of making a concise argument that nullifies the liberal point of view without a lot of fireworks. In other words, that probably makes him perfect for the job.. but getting Ann or Michelle to fill in sometime would be a hoot to watch.

RobertCSampson on April 25, 2006 at 7:17 PM

Snow is a nice fella, but he can also get tough. I love it when he subs for OReilly. He’s no pushover. Hell, I’d rather face OReilly! Snow is smarter and keeps a cool head as well. I hope he takes the job.

ecamorg on April 25, 2006 at 7:17 PM

Conservatives side with Snow. What I like about him is his humility, kindness, reputation…to name but a few. Playing up against those aging prima donna’s in the WHPC, I hope Snow uses every (dirty) trick, maneuver and hocus-pocus he’s got up his sleeve. That’s a vicious, rabid bunch to deal with routinely.

doingwhatican on April 25, 2006 at 7:39 PM

Snow is too nice; he’d need an assistant. My fantasy assistant for him would be the fictional Vic Mackey from ‘The Shield’. Nice, thoughtful and appropriate questions would be taken by Tony. The rest would be answered by Vic slamming a thick phone book upside someone’s head, crack being fished out of the questioner’s pocket, and the Team dragging off the offender to the slammer. I pay goo money to see that.

Mike O on April 25, 2006 at 9:13 PM

Great comments from all the previous posters. My own opinion is that Tony Snow is the kind of guy that will talk very softly, but watch out for the big stick. He has the knack of making his point, gently, with the other side left scratching their heads wondering what just happened. Love you, Tony, and the very best of luck to you and your family. What a great choice!

Sandys Beach on April 25, 2006 at 9:58 PM

Tony is someone real, whom the left and the MSM will have difficulty dismissing. He is solid, experienced in the communications art required and immensely likeable. We, of our values, had better settle down and begin supporting our side before we lose it all. Enough with the demagogues.

Douglas on April 25, 2006 at 10:01 PM

Tony Snow will do a good job because, if he ends up with the job, he will have the President’s ear (as he is apparently demanding along with some flexibility). He will not just stand there and get drilled by the MSM (and other leftists like Helen Thomas). Tony is a very smart guy who will provide a breath of (very needed) fresh air to the White House. It’s about time they get on the offensive, instead of just reacting to everything that’s going on. Tony should be able to provide some of that.

Rick on April 25, 2006 at 10:18 PM

Tony Snow should do quite nicely annoying the members of the useful idiots brigade with intelligent responses. Although, my perfect fantasy press secretary would be not a person at all but a corporation, shall we say…Haliburton….oh the liberal heads exploding would be a site to see….

Terlizzi999 on April 26, 2006 at 12:21 AM

Tony will do a great job for GW. He knows the press corps very well and can react to the dumbass questions in a way that will answer the question and explain it in a way they should understand. And after the job is over, I’m sure his job is secure at Fox.

R D on April 26, 2006 at 1:07 AM

I am so glad that the new mouthpiece is attached to a brain that surpasses all of the others in the room! With Tony there will be little room for his former “peers” to get one over on him. He has emerged from a crowd of otherwise ill equipped media to turn around and face them and he will chew them up and barf them out. We love it and Hellen will just die! Oh that’s right…she did that years ago. Someone should tell her.

Rightzilla on April 26, 2006 at 3:04 AM

Oh oh. Tony is going to find out what the meaning of “contamination” is all about.

NoMoreTaxes on April 26, 2006 at 3:48 AM

The moonbats have already started bashing Snow. Guess they’re outraged because Gregory and Thomas didn’t make the cut. Yawn.

IrishEi on April 26, 2006 at 8:40 AM

All the comments above are great. I just hope Tony is up to the task healthwise. How about this – Tony just doesn’t call on Gregory or Thomas to question him. Maybe their bosses will get the message that they should replace these two rude, crude, unattractive buffoons with serious news people. I get a little up tight when I watch Gregory (who, as chief white house correspondent for NBC should display some professionalism) go through his little act for the cameras and then show up on the Imus show the next day joking about how cute he was. Tony, my advice is simply don’t call on him.

OBX Pete on April 26, 2006 at 9:07 AM

I’ve expressed some reservation, but now it’s time to wish the best of luck and success to Tony. We’re at war, and need an effective White House.

dman on April 26, 2006 at 9:23 AM

I also have reservations about this career move, but wish Tony the best. Perhaps he should bring Helen a peace offering – a burqa. Re: David Gregory’s resmblance to Howdy Doody. Didn’t Howdy have a stupid brother named Dilly Dally?

right ascension on April 26, 2006 at 9:35 AM

Somehow, “Bush gives Snow job.” seems so much more dignified than “Clinton gets [you know] job.”

Dr. Charles G. Waugh

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on April 27, 2006 at 12:31 AM

Great God Almighty! The buzzards are already circling in the hopes that Tony messes up. Listening to Imus and Nora ODonnel talk about how he slapped that Gregory thing down the first time out…Tony had better watch his back here… these bottom feeders WILL find the way to take our Tony down. However, he knows where “all the bodies are buried,” so to speak. Bush picked a winner here….this is going to be great fun to watch. Can’t wait for the Helen Thomas SMACKDOWN!!!!!!!!

Sandys Beach on April 27, 2006 at 8:32 AM