Bin Laden’s Latest Tape

posted at 11:25 am on April 24, 2006 by Bryan

Counterterrorism Blog has the main points of Weirdbeard’s latest rant. It’s mostly jihadi boilerplate that screams “I’m relevant!”, but a couple of points are worth noting. First, why doesn’t bin Laden mention Iraq? Wasn’t that the heart of the war against the infidels? Now it doesn’t even make the top ten. Pair that up with the recent idea that Zarqawi is retreating from Iraq and you have an acknowledgement that al Qaeda has figured out something the MSM and Democrats haven’t: We’re winning.

Second, he’s playing up the Danish cartoon controversy, demanding that Denmark round up the cartoonists and ship them to…where, exactly? Bin Laden didn’t include an address. Perhaps we should play along long enough to get his drop point–Osama bin laden, 3rd Cave on the Left, Peshawar, Pakistan. Think he’ll go for that?

Bin Laden also warns against changing educational curricula in the Islamic world. At first you might think he’s playing mild-mannered educrat, but he’s actually acknowledging the value of the madrassas to raising up the next generation of jihadists. Pakistan, the Saudis and a couple other states in the region have started trying to tone down the radicalism in their madrassas. Bin Laden correctly sees that as a threat. He knows our troops have been killing or rounding up large numbers of his fighters, and unlike the US military, he doesn’t really have a steady stream of boot camp graduates ready to fill in. The madrassas are key to keeping jihad alive.

Read more on the tape at Counterterrorism Blog. And welcome to Hot Air!

Comments

The Islam convention on the streets of NYC reminded me of the ones in London, but smaller, calling for the death of the English. This was before the subway bombings. Tragic to see and hear these monsters screaming in the streets about a new holocoust and people quietly passing by!

Nothing on the news about this!!! waiting for the reactions

tangoagnes on April 24, 2006 at 11:36 AM

Muslims worship just fine in the land of the infidels – The USA, Britain, Canada, Germany, etc.

How’s it working where you are pal? Can’t get along? Why are all those Muslims going to live in non-Muslim counties instead of your paradise, the land of their birth?

He has lost the war of words, and its that simple.

George Bush and Tony Blair have done more for Islam and the ability to worship Allah, than bin Laden has, but I suggest the self martyrdom trick for him, just to be sure.

You’re in a hole Bin Laden, and still digging. (the pun is intended.) Lets make the most of it. Seems like his last missive about a “truce” went without challenge.

Wander on April 24, 2006 at 11:38 AM

I haven’t read much about Bin Laden’s latest tape, but the point about madrassas is very interesting. A TA in my Comparative Politics course today was just discussing the role that these religious schools play in fueling extremism in both Pakistan and India (where they are geared toward Hindu nationalism).

Interesting, isn’t it, how the religion of peace’s schools raise up future terrorists. Don’t really see that coming from the dreaded private Christian schools in the US and elsewhere.

tiekitwist on April 24, 2006 at 1:01 PM

His pep talk to his troops seems more than a little odd coming from a man speaking from hiding. “Go kill the infidels! I’ll wait here, in my cave, in the dark. Don’t tell anyone I’m here.”

hdw on April 24, 2006 at 1:15 PM

tiekitwist, could you please offer some evidence that religious schools in India are fueling extremism? Would that be like Christian schools in the U.S. fueling fundamentalism? Also, your subtle attempt at equating extremism with nationalism suggests something sinister..What is it?

kurla70 on April 24, 2006 at 2:09 PM

Safety tip from Kurla… when a preacher in any church, synagogue or mosque starts talking about killing people, it is probably time to get up and walk out. N’kay?

huckleberry on April 24, 2006 at 2:24 PM

I don’t have a problem with schools in any country teaching patriotism and civic duty. I don’t have a problem with teaching religious values in private schools.

I do have a problem with schools teaching that “they” are bad because they have a different belief system and that therefore it is a religious duty to kill them.

skydaddy on April 24, 2006 at 3:14 PM

Poster is correct…madrassas are teaching their youth to hate and kill…very much like the indoctrination schools during Adolph Hitler’s reign of terror. Hatered, when learned by the very young, is hard to reverse. However, I am finding it hard to believe that India would condone this type of behavior.
I am new to this site ..so, Hi to everyone and hope to join in the conversation from time to time.

Sandys Beach on April 24, 2006 at 3:26 PM

I still refuse to believe that OBL is alive. He is a grease spot in Tora Bora, and there is someone who sounds just like him producing audio tapes when the time is right for them. Notice the lack of video from him? If the B-52s didn’t get him, then the kidney problems should have.

geekrunner on April 24, 2006 at 4:14 PM

greekrunner –

You may have something – I find it interesting that when the intel types say “It’s Bin Laden” the media say it is “Osama Bin Laden.” OBL is one of a batch of brothers, all of whom would have a similar speech pattern (but not voice print) It just could be a brother, keeping the franchise alive – which is why we have not seen any pictures to go with the voice.

Or – I could just be selling smoke here. . .

Wander on April 24, 2006 at 7:14 PM

I apologize for the confusion my earlier comment caused. I was not meaning to imply that these Indian schools were by any means as prevalent as their Muslim counterparts are in Pakistan. However, the radical Hindu nationalist movement (which asserts that India is a nation only for Hindus and rejects the rights of Christians, Muslims, and others to be there) has been gaining some momentum by seizing on the lack of state-supported education and creating Hindu schools that are somewhat comparable to the Muslim madrassas.

And although I have no problem with nationalism when it promotes patriotism and civic duty (I most definitely support that!) I don’t believe that violent religious nationalism is justifiable — as seen in Pakistan and India and other nations. These situations are in no way comparable to private Christian schools in the US and elsewhere. I only brought that up to show how the so-called religion of peace is anything but peaceful while the most attacked religion (Christianity) has done nothing to deserve its “dangerous” reputation.

tiekitwist on April 24, 2006 at 7:40 PM

Sniff, sniff…. No Wander, it’s not just smoke it’s fire. If AQ can get a tape recorder to OBL they darn well can get a digital or disposable camera and a newspaper to him for authentification. They haven’t, therefore, Osama is dead.

ScottG on April 24, 2006 at 7:45 PM

VegasGeorge on April 24, 2006 at 8:47 PM

Bin Hidin’ says we’re at war with islam ’cause we cut off aid to the Palies. By that logic, were we allies with islam when we WERE funding them? Do we get any credit at all for that? He says islam is not compatable with Democracy, so will he now declare war on (the newly elected) Hamas? Loser. Ya lost Afghanistan, you’re losing in Iraq, you will lose in Iran and Syria next. Here’s a purple finger in your eye! Punk.

Oh yeah, and Condi ’08!

Tony737 on April 24, 2006 at 9:54 PM

VegasGeorge said:

“It would be interesting to actually see the curriculum and materials used in the madrassas schools. It’s hard to imagine, and I bet it would be a real eye opener for Westerners. Does anyone have a lead on that?”

As I understand it madrassas use only one book, the Koran. The cirriculum is to memorize the Koran. pretty stark but if you do any research you will find this to be a pretty accurate description of cirruculum and materials at a maddrassas.

Brown James on April 24, 2006 at 9:58 PM

“Osama bin laden, 3rd Cave on the Left, Peshawar, Pakistan.”

LOL! Funny piece! Not sure about the winning thing. Not sure what that would look like at this point. Perhaps a discussion on what winning should look like would be useful. I’d suggest some creative new form of victory, that is win-win, but even more. Everything we break we need to fix…at a minimum. First, we should stop breaking things, since fixing what we have already broken could take a lifetime.

The one thing we haven’t broken is Bin Laden. I guess I’d have different priorities…

-Dave

anonyMoses on April 24, 2006 at 10:46 PM

Brown James

I believe that while the Koran is the only book used in madrassas, they also use supplemental writings by religious figures other than Mohammed. These explain or expand upon the Koran and vary from fairly innocuous to extremely inflammatory . . . .

justice on April 25, 2006 at 1:53 AM

I think OBL is alive, but probably wishes he wasn’t and wonders why he is. The quality of life and isolation he enjoys must be maddening. Good on ya’ mate.

Billy the Kid on April 25, 2006 at 6:58 AM

Thank you for the interesting posts regarding madrassas and how they function as I am not up to date on how they work. I am a product of strick Catholic Schools and, I hope I find some agreement out there, but all my religious studying was not INDOCTRINATED but debated by the class and the good priests and nuns. I know many will not agree, but we were taught about other religions and asked to respect how others worshipped. There were times when we listened to a Rabbi or Minister tell the class about how they honored their Deity. I am not sure why ANY religion must teach hate and intollerance for other beliefs. I will be forever thankful for my religious education…I have brought my boys to believe the same…Religious belief should be a uniter, not a divider.

Sandys Beach on April 25, 2006 at 9:02 AM

What is it about the Koran that makes it so easy for it to be misunderstood by so many of its followers?

What is it about the Koran that makes so many followers want to commit terror against innocent people?

Maybe its time for Muslims to have a meeting and see what the problem is with this so-called religion of peace.

If Muslims revised the Koran and instruct followers that terrorism is wrong, maybe the rest of us would feel like they want the terrorism to stop.

Richard Davis on April 25, 2006 at 10:22 AM

When is Osama going to release a Box Set.

He has all these tapes. It’s about time he released a
commemorative Box Set.